Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago I must have gone 10k - 13k miles with no oil change. I was stressed and thought I'd be able to put it off because I had synthetic in there. I was wrong.

Engine Light, Traction, VSC Off, and VSC Trac. All these light are on. The engine light first then the other 3 follow.

The error the computer threw out was all 3 oil sensors: cam , crank and oil pan. I replaced all three yet the lights still go on with the same error.

I have a warranty but they won't cover it as it's my fault for slugging the oil—not that I've seen it with my own eyes.

My mechanic wants to rebuild my engine or swap with a low mileage engine from Japan. That's about $5,000 to $6,000 or work. I'm already in about $1,500.

The car runs fine and that's what's killing me. Seriously, the engine sounds fine. No smoking, clicking or knocking or anything crazy. You would never know. I'd just leave the damn lights on but now I can't smog my car so my registration is expired.

I search the forum and saw this issue. I ran SeaFoam as recommended for a about 150 miles but nothing.

I'm pretty much forced to buy a new engine because the car won't smog. Any thoughts?

Coop

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
welcome.

are you saying the codes wont clear? have you or someone else tried to clear the codes for you?

im sure someone should be able to clear those codes....

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,768 Posts
10-13K really shouldnt ruin an engine at all. VSC and trac lights should deal with suspension components no?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome.

are you saying the codes wont clear? have you or someone else tried to clear the codes for you?

im sure someone should be able to clear those codes....
My mechanic and the dealer have cleared the codes each time they work on the car. 3 to 20 miles later the lights go back on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10-13K really shouldnt ruin an engine at all. VSC and trac lights should deal with suspension components no?
I believe the computer switches off the other systems for safety reasons if it detects an issue with the engine. Collateral damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
  1. Run a zero point calibration - when using OBD PORT if test reader tries connecting thru iso vs can protocol - depending on what year FJ IT COULD be one or the other- anyway apparently using the incorrect protocol will erase zero point calibration - there's a procedure to reset- involves using jumper to jump 2 pins in OBD PORT - where you sequence 4 touches while ignition is in on position - then requires a 25mph straight line drive for a certain length to complete reset of zero point calibration . It's exactly what occurred to mine either after using an ELM 327 ADAPTER OR AUTOZONE USING THERE TESTER TO CHECK BATTERY AND CODES. DRIVE ME NUTS CHANGING WHEEL SENSORS- HARNESS-S - GAS CAP - WAS GONNA START WITH OXYGEN SENSORS THEN FOUND THIS ON 4 RUNNER FORUM.
  2. GOOGLE ZERO POINT CALIBRATION FOR FJ-4 RUNNER
  3. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
13 Posts
A couple years ago I must have gone 10k - 13k miles with no oil change. I was stressed and thought I'd be able to put it off because I had synthetic in there. I was wrong.

Engine Light, Traction, VSC Off, and VSC Trac. All these light are on. The engine light first then the other 3 follow.

The error the computer threw out was all 3 oil sensors: cam , crank and oil pan. I replaced all three yet the lights still go on with the same error.

I have a warranty but they won't cover it as it's my fault for slugging the oil—not that I've seen it with my own eyes.

My mechanic wants to rebuild my engine or swap with a low mileage engine from Japan. That's about $5,000 to $6,000 or work. I'm already in about $1,500.

The car runs fine and that's what's killing me. Seriously, the engine sounds fine. No smoking, clicking or knocking or anything crazy. You would never know. I'd just leave the damn lights on but now I can't smog my car so my registration is expired.

I search the forum and saw this issue. I ran SeaFoam as recommended for a about 150 miles but nothing.

I'm pretty much forced to buy a new engine because the car won't smog. Any thoughts?

Coop

Run a zero point calibration - when using OBD PORT if test reader tries connecting thru iso vs can protocol - depending on what year FJ IT COULD be one or the other- anyway apparently using the incorrect protocol will erase zero point calibration - there's a procedure to reset- involves using jumper to jump 2 pins in OBD PORT - where you sequence 4 touches while ignition is in on position - then requires a 25mph straight line drive for a certain length to complete reset of zero point calibration . It's exactly what occurred to mine either after using an ELM 327 ADAPTER OR AUTOZONE USING THERE TESTER TO CHECK BATTERY AND CODES. DRIVE ME NUTS CHANGING WHEEL SENSORS- HARNESS-S - GAS CAP - WAS GONNA START WITH OXYGEN SENSORS THEN FOUND THIS ON 4 RUNNER FORUM.GOOGLE ZERO POINT CALIBRATION FOR FJ-4 RUNNERGOOD LUCK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts