Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as you all know FJC parts are strangely more expensive then some vehicles. so i was wondering what i could do to increase hp torque while not killing me mpg. now i dont want to put a load of crap on my engine. i just dont want to have to resort to a turbo or supercharger just to make it faster and stronger. also what kind of exhaust would yall recommend? ive been looking at flowmaster, borla, and magnaflow. i just want a real deep sound that you would expect to hear on a jacked up chevy or ford.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you add a high flow intake, high flow headers, high flow cat and high flow cat back, and custom tune, you could expect to gain about, I would guestimate, ~30hp. If you keep your foot out of it, your MPG's, in theory, will go up, by maybe 1-2mpg - in the long run, if you drive the vehicle for 1million miles (kidding, prob 60k-80k miles depending on price of fuel and mods), you should be able to get you money back out of the addons.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Hey guys as you all know FJC parts are strangely more expensive then some vehicles. so i was wondering what i could do to increase hp torque while not killing me mpg. now i dont want to put a load of crap on my engine. i just dont want to have to resort to a turbo or supercharger just to make it faster and stronger. also what kind of exhaust would yall recommend? ive been looking at flowmaster, borla, and magnaflow. i just want a real deep sound that you would expect to hear on a jacked up chevy or ford.
Anything you add that raises the torque curve will provide better fuel economy. Remember that Power is a function torque and time or P = torque/time. The 2nd trick is getting performance parts that do what they say! I will not buy a product that has not been dyno tested (must have the performance curve to go with it). With that said there are a hand full of products that follow this statement. K&N, TRD, Gibson, DT & JBA are a few that I know of, other folks may know of more? I've orderd the K&N replacement filter & the Gibson all SS Cat-Back exhaust system for this year and will most likely go with the headers next year. Things like perfromance chips may be beneficial, but again unless its a proven out-of the box solution, I think you would be unsatisfied with the cost VS results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts