Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser AT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

Recently my 07 AT FJ started to make a metallic sound when starting, I ignored it and it became constant with the driving, I thought it might be that the lifter valves were dry so I checked the engine oil level and it (inexplicably) ran out of oil. I added 4qts more of oil and continued driving hoping the lifter valves will get charged of oil and stop the sound of them hitting the camshafts. The sound became louder and the car lost a lot of power so I went to the mechanic and just with the sound he said that he was 99% sure that the issue was at the crankshaft, maybe the crankshafts rod bearings and maybe even the crankshaft itself got unbalanced. The strange thing is that the oil level light or the check engine light never showed up, and it never overheated.

My FJ is currently at the workshop and they are taking out the entire engine to check what happened, but I will probably need to do a complete overhaul, or at least for sure all piston rings, oil pump, bearings and washers and rectify the crankshaft. I already did the timing chain kit with all the gears and vvti stuff like 20k miles ago. And I think the pistons will not be necessary, the engine has 112k miles and it has never overheated.

Does anyone has done a complete rebuild to a 1GRFE? (1st gen, single vvti) and maybe can share a list of parts needed or a kit that comes with all the parts and even experiences/reviews of the quality of the products.

We (the mechanic and me) think it will be better to do a complete overhaul than to buy a used engine, because here in costa rica, when buying and used engine we only get 1 month warranty, and the engine can be more damaged than mine, so doing a complete rebuild will maybe cost the same or a little bit more but I got my engine almost good as new.

All the help and comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Recently my 07 AT FJ started to make a metallic sound when starting, I ignored it and it became constant with the driving, I thought it might be that the lifter valves were dry so I checked the engine oil level and it (inexplicably) ran out of oil. I added 4qts more of oil and continued driving hoping the lifter valves will get charged of oil and stop the sound of them hitting the camshafts.
Just a note that 07-09 FJ Cruisers don't have hydraulic valve lash adjusters like the later models. These FJs use a solid tappet bucket directly under under the cam lobes so they cannot "pump down" or pump back up.

Otherwise please let us know what is found as you diagnose the failure. Low oil is a bad thing but if the oil pressure never got too low, then you may not have had a lubrication failure. If the oil light didn't flicker sometimes when 4 quarts low, maybe check that the oil pressure switch works. Big end rod bearings usually knock when failing badly or make a bit of a rattle sound when you let off the throttle after accelerating and go through the neutral throttle point, if they are starting to go. Main bearings make more of a rumble or deep knock when failing. A metallic sound when starting may be something else entirely.

Check the serpentine belt condition and the idler and tensioner pulleys and their bearings. I've heard some pretty awful metallic screeches come from a slightly worn belt before. Dumping some water on the belt would make it go silent.

Reactions: waypoint
1 - 2 of 2 Posts