Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, just completed a radiator flush.

I filled the coolant, started up the engine and noticed only cold air was coming out from the vents. Noticed that the temperature gauge was half way (like usual).

Connected my OBDII reader and the engine is running at 206 F .... Weird that my needle is half way (usually ~180 F)...

So read up and it's apparently air in the cooling system and the engine needs to overheat to get rid of the air bubbles ... But how high should I let it go ?!?

I can't seem to rely on the dash reader, since it doesn't seem to be in sync with my OBDII reader.

Help !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what it's doing now ... Lifted on wheel ramps with cap off and heather on

But I got worried when I saw 206F ... how high should I let it go ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Things are working for me ... reached 242 F and still not getting warm air.

The gauge did go up but not all the way to the red zone, I stopped the engine and will let cool down and start over once it's cold

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still overheating ... It seems to be the brand new thermostat that's not working at all ...

The radiator did started to heat up, I had to put the cap back on because it was spilling out ... I tought I was finally going to get my heat but no ... still no heat and engine overheating.

I'll have to keep working on it tomorrow, this sucks !

BTW: The original thermostat was working (somewhat) but I was changing it due to really bad fuel consumption. I'll will try the old thermostat tomorrow and see

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
:cheers:Dude Ive been following this all day and you need a beer!!!

Good luck:cheers: I think we all agree, beer thirty. Keep us updated

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You don't need to let the engine over heat to allow air bubbles out. You run the engine with the radiator cap off to get rid of air bubbles.

What fluid did you fill it back up with? Did you use Toyota Red coolant and distilled water?

Even on a hot day, my temps never got above 196* (and that is when it was 110* outside)

·
Registered
521 Posts
You have air trapped in the system.

Did you drain the engine block with the flush or just the radiator?

There should be a bleeder screw on top of the motor usually by the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Another one for AIr in the System.... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Things are different this morning ... The reservoir was empty, I filled it up, took off the rad cap, started the engine, it took at least 10 minutes to warm up to 186 F

Now:
- it's stable at 186 F (used to be 181 F with previous thermostat)
- Left engine run for another 15 mins, then put radiator cap back on (no bubbling this time)
- The top left rad hose is hot
- The bottom right rad hose is a little warm

But I get no hot air in the vehicle ....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts