Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum... I've been on a while but rarely posted anything. I just recently had to replace the engine in my 2008 FJ . Apparently I overheated the engine and it caused it to lock up.. I'm back on the road but I have the old engine. Is it possibly to salvage the old one as a back up, or is it pointless? The reason I ask is because a lot of people tell me that once an aluminum engine block misnomer heated , it warps beyond repair.. Any info is appreciated..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There is a reason it was replaced and not repaired... You may be able to salvage some parts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
This really depends on how badly it was over heated and how extensive the damage is.
Sometimes machining can restore a motor to better than new condition with more horse power planned but if the damage is extensive the cost becomes not worth it exceeding the cost of a new motor.

·
Registered
631 Posts
All the external components are, should be ok to reuse. The engine block is most likely scrap. The way it is cast makes it where it is unlikely to be re-bored and cleaned up for reuse due to how thin the cylinder walls will become unlike a cast iron block. Still lot of money for the heads ect. Nothing wrong with your engine as long as it runs without consuming oil. Remember there will be a ton of replacement engines for your year because the Tacoma also uses it. Quit worrying and drive it. Did it run low on oil or coolant, you might want to check things more frequently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've already replaced the old motor . I just. Have the old one in my garage tinkering with it.. I've had my FJ for 5 years and I'm one meticulous mofo.. I check everything constantly. I had changed out my serpentine belt last month. (Yes I installed it correctly) heck I drove about 200 miles . the next day a piece of it shredded , slicing my coolant hose and dumped out all my coolant.. Weird thing was the temp never registered hot..
We'll anyways, thanks for the info and I will be checking things even more frequently than normal from here on out

·
Registered
28 Posts
That sucks, atleast you got it replaced. Maybe turn the old engine into a piece of furniture like on top gear with the engine block as a table ornament.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
if you're serious about keeping it, strip it down and have the block tested ... there's a cost obviously and therefore my point about wanting to keep it ... not sure if there's a number on the block that ties it to that FJC and to some people keeping the original engine that came with the truck is important (I made sure the engine in my 40 was a 78 engine and was original to the truck) ... if the block is okay, there's an opportunity to get more power out of it, if you want to spend the money ... otherwise, keep what you can as bolt-on spare parts and get rid of the rest ... just a thought ...
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
If it were me I would tear it down and see if it can be restored. These days a place will tell you its terminal just so they can charge you for a new one,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts