Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,
I've searched for this but didn't find a good answer yet.
I've got a 2010 6MT with 3600 miles on it. Just within the last couple days it started doing this. If I'm cruising in say 4th going 40 ish and need to come to a stop if I push in the clutch, put the trans in neutral, and let out the clutch the rpms will go from around 1200 rpms up to 2000 rpms and sit there a while while I cost to a stop.
I don't know if it thinks I'm wanting to downshift so its trying to rev martch or what. Its pretty annoying though. I bought the manual to have control of my car... But its still trying to drive for me.
Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone having this happen to them? As a side note, I test drove a 2010 6MT a while back and it did the same thing... Is this something the 2010s have an issue with?
Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is normal. Mine does it as well. I agree it is annoying. I have read it has to do with emissions.
I read that about why the rpms increase right when you push in the clutch, (they go up by 100-300 rpms right when I depress the clutch pedal). I didn't know that is why the RPMs go up while coming to a stop.
Ryan

·
Registered
189 Posts
I found mine does the same thing but it seems to be only during the first few miles and I seem to notice it more when it is cold out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my opinion I think the reason Toyota programmed the ECU like this is to help with a smoother gear change. When you push the clutch pedal in, the RPMS rise, you shift and then release the clutch pedal. The higher engine speed makes a smoother clutch engagement. Thats the only reason I can see the vehicle being designed like that for.

Emissions wouldn't make sense because you are using more fuel the faster the engine speed. When you come to a complete stop the RPM's drop to appx 700-800.

My .02 cents

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can see why the RPMS rise when shifting gears, what you said makes sense but I think the OP is saying when they are coming to a stop the RPMS rise. I am not sure why it revs high while coasting to a stop with the clutch in but mine seems to do the same thing. I just assumed it was normal for the FJ.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
As the warm up, the difference should be smaller. This is probably happening more noticeably when you first start up in the morning. 2k is high though. I can see maybe 1.2k and 600-700 once it's up to normal temperature.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can see why the RPMS rise when shifting gears, what you said makes sense but I think the OP is saying when they are coming to a stop the RPMS rise. I am not sure why it revs high while coasting to a stop with the clutch in but mine seems to do the same thing. I just assumed it was normal for the FJ.
I think that its doing this in anticipation of the driver engaging first gear at a slower speed. I think one of the Toyota engineers is in visiting our shop this week, if he is I will ask him and see if he knows.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sounds interesting... keep me posted. I have noticed that when letting the clutch out and putting the e-brake on (in a long drive-thru line up) it goes away. I usually can't get into 1st unless I'm completely stopped (the reason why I coast with it in neutral with the clutch in) so maybe it is all part of the electronics?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts