Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, we can use the factory 6-speed/t-case combo without too much drama. But, we normally advise against using the 6-speeds as they are known to have issues.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Other than TOB issues what would that be (which I seem to have under control with PDM TSK)? I ask because I have two 2007 6MT FJs that are the Wife and my daily drivers. Her's a Mall crawler/family hauler, mine... well I'm not so nice to it. I'm interested in crawling rocks more than cruisin the freeway, but do plenty of that too.

So will my manual trans bolt up? Or would it have to use an adapter plate/lengthen the front, shorten the rear drive shaft?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Other than TOB issues what would that be
Well, there is no existing TSB from Toyota but they have issues with the 4th gear syncros as well that require them to be completely torn down and replaced. You'll know you have the issue if 4th gear has a harsh engagement or pops out under load. Without going into specific technical details, yes we can use your transmission.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a question on the diesel swap...
I noticed on dieseltoyz web site that they have done numerous conversions on toyotas.
I am assuming that some of them may have been to California vehicles.
Just wondering what is involved in getting the conversion approved for california's smog police.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found this link that seems to explain a lot around what is needed for the swap. Re-coding the ECU security seems to be a big part of the equation...thus needing the expensive equipment to make this happen...and I assume factors in to the price from Diesel Toys.

This sounds like a really fun project...especially if one had access to a mechanic that could re-code the ECU security.

*READ THIS 1ST* Toyota diesel conversions FAQ *updated 1/22/13*

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think swapping an diesel engine to our FJ would really make it more fuel efficient. But the question is why didn't Toyota made a diesel version of it?

121 - 130 of 130 Posts