Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i didn't know where to post this as it could be a lot of things but i wanted it to get the most views.

Early this morning on the way home from working the night shift i was heading down the highway doing about 65MPH when all of the sudden the vehicle shut off!!! all the power went out and all the lights came on, gauges went to 0 and no throttle,... in less then a second it kicked back on and kept going without any problems.... WTF was that?? anyone know what would cause that?

Any help would be appreciated! I think i'll be taking it into Toyota next week because that was a little scary...

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Re: ummmm ok....

If it was a complete power loss , which could be an equivalent to a dead short. Seems like you better get it in sooner than later. recent mods, wheeling, anything else to add?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If it was a complete power loss , which could be an equivalent to a dead short. Seems like you better get it in sooner than later. recent mods, wheeling, anything else to add?
negative....haven't done anything to it at all... but i did notice 3 days ago when i got into it to start it up my compass needed to be calibrated and all the trip odometers were at 0 so it seems like there must have been some sort of power loss...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i tightened the positive battery terminal as it was slightly loose so i'll see if that helps.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Pull the cables off the battery and clean the posts and terminals to make sure they are clean. Sometimes just tightening them doesn't cure the problem.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
16 Posts

Not sure, but if you pull the battery cables off and put them back on it resets the computer and the trouble codes are lost. That could make it hard to diagnose at the dealer. I think Auto Zone will do a scan for free.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Pull the cables off the battery and clean the posts and terminals to make sure they are clean. Sometimes just tightening them doesn't cure the problem.

KyFJGuy
i'll check that as well! thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Not sure, but if you pull the battery cables off and put them back on it resets the computer and the trouble codes are lost. That could make it hard to diagnose at the dealer. I think Auto Zone will do a scan for free.
good thought...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

If his battery terminal is loose/dirty and causing him to loose power, then disconnecting the terminal wouldn't matter. But I do agree I'd try to get it scanned first, and then check the battery/alternator, but after that I personally wouldn't know where to go next, so I would end up taking it some place, which will probably cost a pretty penny.

·
Registered
458 Posts

did you see any UFO at moment of power loss ...before or after????

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

^^^haha

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

did you see any UFO at moment of power loss ...before or after????
haha yah i was thinking i got hit by some EMP or something weird...

·
Registered
614 Posts

Check you gas pump. It happened to me w/ a Tacoma in mid-expressway.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

Check you gas pump. It happened to me w/ a Tacoma in mid-expressway.
Did you lights die too when your pump glitched on you?

·
Registered
614 Posts

Did you lights die too when your pump glitched on you?
Honesty I don't know about the headlights because it was during the day. But the inside/gauges lights were all dead as well.
It scared the runny poop in me :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

In general, especially if you need help with a big problem, a super ambiguous thread title like, "ummmm ok" won't get you near as much help as something descriptive.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Honesty I don't know about the headlights because it was during the day. But the inside/gauges lights were all dead as well.
It scared the runny poop in me :lol:
how long did it shut off for?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts