Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an
-automatic
- 07 fj cruiser trd
-4 wheel drive
-109k miles
When I accelerate, it feels like the engine starts shaking when I'm accelerating at very low speeds after I was stopped

Anyone know what the issue is and what can be done to fix it?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Are you sure it is the engine?? Engines don't really vibrate (unless major internal issues) usually more of a Bog, Miss or Hesitation....
It sounds like your vibration is happening only while the vehicle is in motion.
I would be looking at wheel bearings, axle shafts and universal joints. Depending on where you feel the most intensity can help guide you to the problem area... In the floor but under your seat?? Check main drive shaft or bearings in the center to rear of the vehicle, you feel it in the steering wheel or in the floor towards the front then check front wheel bearings or axel shafts.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
A bad motor mount (or multiple) would transmit vibration from the engine to the frame and then to you. Typically it's worse when you accelerate hard as the engine is loaded and trying to twist against the mounts.

May be worth checking!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
What octane rating gas did u use? I remember fj before 2010 require premium gas (like 93 octane?) Otherwise you will have engine knocking

Sorry to contradict but this is not accurate, Toyota released a bulletin changing the requirement of having to run premium octane fuels in the pre 2010 models, mine is and 08 I run regular fuels all the time with out issue. I have flip flopped between the grades to measure the overall performance difference... It is minimal.
:cheers:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What octane rating gas did u use? I remember fj before 2010 require premium gas (like 93 octane?) Otherwise you will have engine knocking
That could be it!!! I never had this problem when I used 93.. Now I'm using lowest grade and it's got all kind of vibrations... I am going to switch back to highest grade and see if it solves it... THANKS!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it is the engine?? Engines don't really vibrate (unless major internal issues) usually more of a Bog, Miss or Hesitation....
It sounds like your vibration is happening only while the vehicle is in motion.
I would be looking at wheel bearings, axle shafts and universal joints. Depending on where you feel the most intensity can help guide you to the problem area... In the floor but under your seat?? Check main drive shaft or bearings in the center to rear of the vehicle, you feel it in the steering wheel or in the floor towards the front then check front wheel bearings or axel shafts.
Could it be the front cv axles? Because I got a full vehicle inspection ( not relevant to the shaking ) and they told me to replace the front two cv axles ( so I ordered them...1000$) waiting to hear back from them to take it back in for labor

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sorry to contradict but this is not accurate, Toyota released a bulletin changing the requirement of having to run premium octane fuels in the pre 2010 models, mine is and 08 I run regular fuels all the time with out issue. I have flip flopped between the grades to measure the overall performance difference... It is minimal.
Dang I thought I had my fix lol

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
That was not an official bulliten from Toyota, it was a letter a dealer created to soothe those who were complaining about the 91 requirement on the early models.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was not an official bulliten from Toyota, it was a letter a dealer created to soothe those who were complaining about the 91 requirement on the early models.
So this could very well be my problem?

·
Banned
6,079 Posts
CV's.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is your TRD SE supercharged? If so, definitely get higher octane gas. Even for 2010+ FJ on the user manual it states research octane rating is 91. Given the high 10.1 compression ratio of the FJ, I usually put "plus" gas, when they are cheap lol.

So i guess use up all your regular in ur tank now (don't need to be dead empty) and fill up with premium gas and see how it does. That's the cheapest test you can do now

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello FJC-TRD,

Let me ask this, Is your CEL illuminated? (Check Engine Light)

The reason I ask is because if it is and engine miss, there should be a CEL and a corresponding code. I also believe the engine has a knock sensor that would detect a knock and thus reduce engine timing. Possibly this is first on 2010 to address the octane issue.

Not suggested:
If you don't have the CEL and a vibration you may also be experiencing a tire separation. Take your hand, preferably with a leather glove, and run your hand around your tires. Many times you can feel a bulge. But if your symptom is associated with the hard acceleration from a stop and is not consistent, then doubtful it is tire issue including balance.

Sounds like a missing cylinder. = low power and shaking chugging during acceleration.
I know of someone who tried to salvage some old separated E10 gasoline by pouring off the fuel from the water in the bottom of the tank. Added it to his Tacoma to burn it off as opposed to throwing it away. That truck ran like crap, dropped cylinders, etc. He filled it with top tier gasoline (http://www.toptiergas.com/) from Chevron and it soon returned to normal. We now always uses top tier gas stations if available.

Just a few thoughts, good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is your TRD SE supercharged? If so, definitely get higher octane gas. Even for 2010+ FJ on the user manual it states research octane rating is 91. Given the high 10.1 compression ratio of the FJ, I usually put "plus" gas, when they are cheap lol.

So i guess use up all your regular in ur tank now (don't need to be dead empty) and fill up with premium gas and see how it does. That's the cheapest test you can do now
I wish it was supercharged lol

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
My Fj is a 2009, and I have never used high octane gas, and have never had what you are describing. I would look at some of the other items that have been suggested first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Fj is a 2009, and I have never used high octane gas, and have never had what you are describing. I would look at some of the other items that have been suggested first.
I'm going to get the cv axles replaced because they need it, then maybe look at torque converter if it persists.. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I'm going to get the cv axles replaced because they need it, then maybe look at torque converter if it persists.. Thanks everyone!
Don't disregard your wheel bearings, (Front) your milage is in line with a number of other members who have had the bearings fail. Vibrations can be tricky and everyone has provided possibilities. I don't think Torque converters have been much of a problem, that would be an exspensive guess.
Try finding things that makes the vibration worse or better, example: while driving does making turns increase or decrease the vibration, does lightly applying the brakes make it better or worse. Any mods added?? different exhaust, anything mechanical new or different should be considered.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
This is what I was referring to. (Toyota Bulletin PP06-VG6027) From someone named Chris Papas but you may be right I have not seen the official Bulletin to confirm if it is Offical or not. Real use over the years has shown the pre 2010 have run fine with out damage on 87 Octane fuel. I am sure there have been some cases of engine knocking as fuel quality can vary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm currently experiencing this kind of problem with my FJ. It seems that when it shifts to 3rd gear it'll vibrate at 1,000 RPM. It feels like I'm running over a rumble bump on a highway.

I'm still observing what could be the cause of this one. I recently crossed a river with it and it might caused one of the spark plugs to stop working properly.

It could also be that the fuel I use is 91 octane rating unlike what the owner's manual states that it should be 95.

I will be bringing my rig to service and ask them if the cylinders and spark plugs are okay. I will also revert back to 95 octane first and see if the vibration is gone.

I just bought my FJ a month ago.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts