Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2007 FJ with 129k miles. It has a whining noise which seems to be coming from the front of the motor, alternator, pulleys etc. The whine increases (gets louder) when the RPMs increase. It had a brand new alternator installed last week which did not stop the whining. I have read that it could be the alternator, pulleys, power steering, and or oil pump.
Any other ideas as to what the issue may be? Any ideas on how to isolate each possibility? For example, if it is likely a pulley, how would I diagnose the correct pulley? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I bought a new FJ in 2011,.....80,000 miles (appox) to date. Totally dig the ride!
3 weeks ago I started experiencing the same issue,...high pitched "whine" emanating from I thought was from the upper engine, drivers side location. I no longer work on my own rigs,...sorry guys / gals,...man card loses all the punches. But in the early 70's through the 80s I was a line mechanic,...fleet, diesel, etc....back when one didn't need all the bs electronic equipment to diagnose an engine issue. So,...as you experienced, a local, SoCal (Southern California) shop,...great guys.,...replaced every front motor external rolling element under the sun as you stated. Power steering pump, idler pulleys / belt tensioners / belt, alternator, with factory dealer components; no cheap aftermarket crap,...etc....NO change. AND AT THEIR COST! They were pissed that they could not isolate the problem. I wanted to pay them (I make a good living since I do live in So Cal) but I fear something internal so = big bucks...$$$...bummer. We shall see.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts