Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered ENGO 10K winch w/synthetic rope from Metal Tech, taking advantage of great price and free shipping. Winch arrived in less than a week!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be installing the winch in a new Warrior bumper that will be delivered tomorrow, so I thought I would prep the winch and test it: I dodn't want to go thru the entire winch bumper installation only to discover the winch didn't work (I noticed a small crack in the bottom of the solenoid box which made be want to be extra diligent in the testing of the unit).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As part of the winch installation, I wanted to relocate the solenoid box from the top of the winch to inside the engine department. This will keep it more secure and out of the elements.

I found a place for the solenoid control box: I'll mount it to the top of the fuse box just behind the battery. This way it will be accessable from the driver's side to plug in the winch hand held controller.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But first, the cables from the solenoid control box to the winch need to be chnaged and/or switched out. The first picture shows the original configuration. The first step was to switch the 2 red cables: the long one originally was supposed to run from the winch to the battery. Since the Solenoid is now right next to the battery, I switched it with the short cable that originally ran from the solenoid to the winch motor. The switch was a simple operation, just open up the solenoid box:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next, the other two short cables that run from the solenoid to the winch motor needed to be replaced with longer ones to reach the solenoid relocation spot. The local auto parts store had them for about $12 each, 60-inch length.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next, removed the metal brakets from the bottom of the solenoid control box, since they're not needed now. Using the exisitng nuts and bolts, I drilled holes in the top of the fuse box lid, then secured the solenoid control box to the lid.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The solenoid control box/fuse box lid assembly in place, now it's time to attach the cables. First, the postiive terminal cable, then the 3 cables that attach to the winch motor, and finally, the cable that runs form the winch motor back to the negative battery terminal.

Remember, at this point all I am doing is testing the setup and the winch itself, hence, the temporary setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With everything connected, I attached the hand-held controller in the side of the control box and gave it a test--it worked! The location of the solenoid control box works with the wired controller very well: it's easy to access, and you can use it standing next to the FJ, or, from the driver seat.

With the winch tested, I disconnected the winch and set it aside and began to take apart the front bumper, getting it ready for the Warrior bumper install. Stay tuned...

Attachments

·
Banned
9,090 Posts

Those bolts looks similar in size to what I used to mount my Blue Sea fuse box to the top of the OEM fuse box. I'd recommend you go back in and make sure that the bolt heads inside the fuse box cover are not putting pressure on the tops of any relays/fuses.

I colored the tops of the relays with a sharpie then wiggled the box cover around a bit and saw that they had lightly scratched the sharpie off the tops of some relays. So I thinned down the bolt heads a bit to give it a little more room in there.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Awesome job! nice write up

I just put the same winch in my Aluminess bumper last Friday. Instead of relocating the solenoid box I just rotated it 90 degrees by drilling a couple more holes for the brackets that come with it. Fit in there like a glove. Did you get a wireless controller also?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Those bolts looks similar in size to what I used to mount my Blue Sea fuse box to the top of the OEM fuse box. I'd recommend you go back in and make sure that the bolt heads inside the fuse box cover are not putting pressure on the tops of any relays/fuses.

I colored the tops of the relays with a sharpie then wiggled the box cover around a bit and saw that they had lightly scratched the sharpie off the tops of some relays. So I thinned down the bolt heads a bit to give it a little more room in there.
I'll give it a check, thanks for the input. I also covered the exposed parts with electrical tape after I took the picture.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you get a wireless controller also?
No. it wasn't available to order from Metal Tech, but i am planning to order it from Engo, as well as a winch cover. I have read the wireless controllers have good range.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I ordered mine through MT. They just told me it was on back-order. I got it about 3 days after the winch showed up? Oh well. I installed it and it works great. I think I'm going to add a battery cut off switch to isolate it when not in use as well. Don't want someone finding the remote and accidentally turning it on.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Winch bumper arrived. Will get started on a installation thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Keep this updated since I'll be needing this info soon! Great info and pictures thus far!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep this updated since I'll be needing this info soon! Great info and pictures thus far!
Sure thing...let me know if you need any more details. There was some more to it, but I didn't want to over-complicate the thread...

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I just bought the same model winch from Metal Tech! Thanks for the great idea on installation. I'm going to add the cut off switch as well.

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just bought the same model winch from Metal Tech! Thanks for the great idea on installation. I'm going to add the cut off switch as well.

cheers,

dale
I'll be interested to see how you wire the switch. I did find a great place for switches, @ $12 each, here on the Forum:

OTRATTW

Here's a pic of the Winch Switch they offer:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts