Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm still trying to put together our adventure up to Ouray for the FJ Summit next month. After spending months researching spots to go along the way in AZ, NM, and UT, Josh informed me today he'd like to spend most of the time in CO if possible.

I've been wanting to do Kokopelli, but the only info I can really find about it is on dirt bike and MTB websites. I did manage to dig up a gpx track from one of the dirt bike forums, but not sure if this is the same route that we would take in the truck. I'm looking for help from the locals or folks who have run this before. I know its at least a 2 day adventure through, our plan would be to run from Moab to Grand Junction but it will probably be by ourselves and I'm not too sure about that.

I'm also interested in hearing other options for great camping and trail runs. Our original plans involved camping in the Cortez area and hitting up Mesa Verde one day. We love Durango as well so we'd like to spend some time there. If anyone has any info on some epic trails in Colorado I'd love to hear it, we'd like to stay in the western part of the state but if it's just an amazing suggestion someone has I would consider driving a little.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lake Vallecito just north of Durango. Great place to camp and driving up Florida road (pronounced Flooreeda)to get there is pretty rockin too! Eat at Mama's Boy (italian) if you get a change as well.. Also the Durango Diner is a must for breakfast. Another fun place to camp is up Juntion Creek which is accessible off of 25st in Durango.

I live several year there after college and it is indeed heaven!

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
534 Posts
LOL....ColoradoCruiserDude is going to have the wrong name soon. Just curious, why moving to the Oregon Coast? (I grew up around Portland.)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well I am looking for a change and it is absolutely gorgeous there. I want to live on the pacific ocean and try the sailor life for a while.
Cool.....where on the Coast? My last few visits to Oregon (I still have family there) the weather was ABSOLUTELY stunning. I don't think I could ever live there year round (I live in HADES.......errrrr Phoenix now) but I have a lot of fond memories of week-end and Summer trips with friends.

Love taking the dog there too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have been keeping my eye on condo prices in Newport. I like the little fishing town. Yes you are in Hades! Ever venture down to Puerta Penasco? (Rocky Pt.) I think I will have to take my FJ down there in the fall. It has changed alot since over the years.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I don't really know of much along the lines of 'epic' (or maybe I just don't really kow what it means), but just as a couple of neato places to check out when you're in the area....if you're in the Grand Junction area...

1. Douglas Pass (generally speaking, directly North of Loma; or North-West-is from Grand Junction) has access to some pretty cool back-roading and camping area (and fossil hunting if you're into that). I have not done much challenging stuff there vehicle-wise, but according to the maps, there is a road that goes all the way from there to the Rifle area on I-70. This could make for a great camping trip in Colorado's outback. I'm thinking of doing it the next time we go there, but just haven't gone that route yet.

2. GVOHVA (Grand Valley Off Highway Vehicle Area).
This is a little spot just North of Whitewater (generally speaking, South-ish from Grand Junction). Not a camping place, but just a really neato spot to test the vehicle. Since we just got Sandi this Feb., she's never been there yet, but we've gone there in the past with both of our former [poser] SUVs (ChvBlzr & JeepLibby). It's a lot of fun. Better for bikers I would suppose, but still.

I'll post more ideas if anything else comes to mind.

steven

p.s. Of course, I know of lots of cool places on Colorado's Western Slope (it's where my wife and I go every July for a week), but mostly not necessarily off-roading places, or if they are, it's not really much....mostly hiking places, scenic places, etc. I'm sure that you have access to plenty of this kind of info though. So, I won't mention anything unless you specifically ask for it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya it seems like everything I want to do or that looks cool is north of Ouray, but we will be coming from the south. :mecry:

Thanks for the suggestions, but Grand Junction is a little out of the way I think.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
You're very welcome.
I'll definitely post here if I hear of (or recall) anything along these lines in the SW area.

steven

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
My buddy Mark and I are heading up early to spend a few days in Durango before the Summit. We both went to college in Durango so are excited to see all the changes. We plan on camping out probably at a place called lightner creek campground on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday night. We are going to run a really cool trail just about 20 miles west of Durango. It is up La Plata Canyon and like most trails in the area it takes you up to several mines. Here is the description:

La Plata Canyon

Discover beautiful La Plata Canyon, just 20 miles from Durango, and its beautiful U-shaped canyon formed by glaciers during the glacial era on this
4x4 trip. Several small waterfalls and cascading rivers follow the 4X4 trails in the springtime along with lots of wildlife such as marmots, white-tailed deer, elk herds, juncos, kingfishers, turkey vultures, red-tailed hawks and bald eagles.

On the 4x4 trip you will see numerous wildflowers, high-alpine meadows, and avalanche gullies. Following the La Plata River (meaning "Silver" in Spanish) to La Plata City, an old mining town established in 1875, you’ll discover the remnants of old mining claims. These include a tall intact chimney left from the crew quarters, the framework of old cabins, and tailing piles from actual mining areas. Continue to the peak, Kennebec Pass at 12,000 feet above sea level (also above tree-line).

Grand mountain vistas can be seen all the way to Cortez and Telluride from the peak! High mountain peaks, river valleys, spruce-fir forests and high alpine-meadows can be observed from a bird’s eye view. The 4x4 trip returns the same route so that people will be sure not to have missed anything on the way up!

Give me a ring if you want to join us on this trail!

James
720 299 1970

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My buddy Mark and I are heading up early to spend a few days in Durango before the Summit. We both went to college in Durango so are excited to see all the changes. We plan on camping out probably at a place called lightner creek campground on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday night. We are going to run a really cool trail just about 20 miles west of Durango. It is up La Plata Canyon and like most trails in the area it takes you up to several mines. Here is the description:

La Plata Canyon

Discover beautiful La Plata Canyon, just 20 miles from Durango, and its beautiful U-shaped canyon formed by glaciers during the glacial era on this
4x4 trip. Several small waterfalls and cascading rivers follow the 4X4 trails in the springtime along with lots of wildlife such as marmots, white-tailed deer, elk herds, juncos, kingfishers, turkey vultures, red-tailed hawks and bald eagles.

On the 4x4 trip you will see numerous wildflowers, high-alpine meadows, and avalanche gullies. Following the La Plata River (meaning "Silver" in Spanish) to La Plata City, an old mining town established in 1875, you’ll discover the remnants of old mining claims. These include a tall intact chimney left from the crew quarters, the framework of old cabins, and tailing piles from actual mining areas. Continue to the peak, Kennebec Pass at 12,000 feet above sea level (also above tree-line).

Grand mountain vistas can be seen all the way to Cortez and Telluride from the peak! High mountain peaks, river valleys, spruce-fir forests and high alpine-meadows can be observed from a bird’s eye view. The 4x4 trip returns the same route so that people will be sure not to have missed anything on the way up!

Give me a ring if you want to join us on this trail!

James
720 299 1970
Is this off the Columbus Mine Trail?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm, well I think we will probably either already be up on Stony Pass or in Ouray but thanks for the offer. Our timing doesn't seem to be working out to meet up with anyone on this trip!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts