Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is an excellent post Steve! Thanks...
We've had a good number of FJers in our area that have asked us about the requirements/necessities for both making this trip and wheeling in Ouray. I'm surely now going to send them a link to this post to help them get ready for the trek.
Thanks, nic. Glad I could help. :)

Will you be doing another beginning off-roading/101 class this time around? It was very very well worth it. Thanks for that again. :)
Absolutely. Matter of fact, we're going to expand the number of classes next time, and try to set up a hands-on 4x4 driving course for the first-timers.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thank you for posting this! There are some great ideas and suggestions for us Summit virgins, and I look forward to seeing what others come up with.

We hadn't even thought about the whole altitude sickness thing either, so thats a great tip.

Although this event is still months away I'm already making my prep list based on some of the items mentioned above.

:pimp:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
"...Since all the organized Ouray runs are group runs, we can get rid of a lot of your list (ie, I like to share). Nothing on your list was bad, but for this kind of event we can shave it a little for those first timers.

I personally have all these items, but if you don't have them, don't think you can't make it around Ouray.

I really think the organizers do such a great job, and we have such a great community here that anyone should be able to come and enjoy with all sharing and helping we have.

Great topic!
Not trying to be argumentive here, but I've been on many runs where there is always someone who "expects" others to have ALL the necessary equipment, etc. Their excuse is for not being self sufficient is... "too much weight, or no room".

I fully agree that "first timers" to the Summit who have little to no off-road experience and are trying out the experience should not be "required" to carry what those of us "old timers" carry, but they should strive to be as self sufficient as possible or at least post questions herein to see if they can partner or buddy up with equipped rigs and not just expect others to provide for them.

I, for one, will give you the shirt off of my back, my last beer and my next to last cup of coffee as long as it's a gift and not expected of me (except for my friends who can have the last cup anytime!). :cheers:

I'd hope the Toyota Trail Team folks would weigh in and provide a list of "required" items.

CHEERS,

dale

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I fully agree that "first timers" to the Summit who have little to no off-road experience and are trying out the experience should not be "required" to carry what those of us "old timers" carry, but they should strive to be as self sufficient as possible or at least post questions herein to see if they can partner or buddy up with equipped rigs and not just expect others to provide for them.
X2, Dale. That's exactly why the list of vehicle-related items that I suggested, is not only recommended gear for multi-truck trail runs (like Ouray), but also a minimal "starter kit" that everyone should carry in their 4x4, regardless of the venue.

Like you implied, Dale, even though there's a good chance that fellow members of a given trail run probably will have a loanable recovery strap and a couple extra D-shackles to get you out of a bind . . . . one should never take that for granted.

However, I deliberately omitted things like 12k winches, 36" tires, Pull-Pals, sand landers, air jacks and such . . . . just so the first-timers would realize that all that great stuff isn't a necessity for attending the Summit.

Too often within our great forum, peer pressure sends a subtle message to novice off-roaders that he/she absolutely must have every piece of off-road gear and modification available for their FJ. And, that simply isn't true.

So, everyone come and have fun at the Summit!! And, if you do get the urge to start building up your FJ, the Summit will be the perfect place to "shop out" what other members already have on their trucks before you even start your project. Hey, what better way to create your own additional "Top 10" list?? :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you live at a lower altitude may I suggest getting a perscrpition for Acetazolide [ Diamox] to prevent symptoms of altitude sickness. I didn't take any last year. I was alright the first couple of days, by the third day I was a mess. I had to have some one else drive my FJ off the mountian and take me to the emerg clinic in Teleride. Ater that it was 2 soild day of barffing my guts out. What saved my arse that day way all the good FJ folks that were on the mountian that day. It was a group effort. I'm hoping that they will be at the next FJ Summit so I can thank them in person.
Welcome to Colorado! :)

Andrew
A displaced Canadian living in a constant state of thin air.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
excellent list Steve.

may i also add as a side note...some nicer or decent shoes. while out on the trail we stopped numerous times for pictures and potty breaks. it was difficult sometimes to walk on the loose rocks and such. a nice pair of high top shoes would be a big help to prevent a twisted ankle which would end your trip prematurely.

and lots of beer for AFTER the trails

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I purchased a hand held CB (Cobra) for last year's Summit. Although it would have been nice for everyone to have communications, I made the Alpine Loop with a very good CB in the fourth vehicle and the "tail-gunner" and I (at the front) could stay informed about the entire trip via relayed communications.

On Blackbear, w5wi was tail gunner and was almost always in communication with the point man (Trail Teams) throughout the run.

I guess where I'm going with this is, don't deny yourself the pleasure of coming to Ouray and Summit II just because you don't have a CB. Having a CB will enhance your trail experience, but it is not do or die requirement. Just listening to the CB traffic in your group will ensure you don't miss get views, spotting of wild like, and remarks about driving line to avoid the rough stuff.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
you forgot 'presents for Bostonian' in your list........
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ....just teasing, I'll buy you a coffee at that delicious place....Moose something or other, oh man, it's been to long, got to get back there........

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ....just teasing, I'll buy you a coffee at that delicious place....Moose something or other, oh man, it's been to long, got to get back there........
aww that was good coffee - and the people were super nice. Haha it'll be nice to keep going back to this town - it'll start feeling very familiar...

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
aww that was good coffee - and the people were super nice. Haha it'll be nice to keep going back to this town - it'll start feeling very familiar...
I know! That was the best little place!! I can't wait! ....maybe this time I will get my arse out of bed a little earlier - I would run through that place like a freaking tornado to get coffee and make the trail run. ....especially the group photo day, woke up with about 5 minutes to spare......:silly:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Good stuff here, remember that a camera is not a necessity but a great thing to have............................pictures of beer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It was Moose's Chocolate!!!! YUM!!!!!!!!!! She made the very best Chai on the planet. Brian has been trying to find a way to get it sent to MI in bulk since July!

Ohhhh...such good coffee :)

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Great list Steve. I agree on all ten.
Thanks for the great list !! This will help me get prepared for the run...
Thanks, Tennessee and Boss!!

excellent list Steve.
may i also add as a side note...some nicer or decent shoes.
Good stuff here, remember that a camera is not a necessity but a great thing to have
Yep. Not necessarily vehicle necessitites, but definitely stuff to put on your personal items list.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Super great list! And not just for the Summit!

One thing I might point out, that I never thought about before we had the Cruiser Jam down here with its own little off road track! And I am not throwing any stones here or implying anything by these impressions!

But, there was quite a few FJC owners who were concerned about driving around the small track they had set up at the jam. The same track some of us, regular trail riders thought was pretty tame, (some of us did get stuck). :) :)

I guess my point is, I believe, the Summit would be a great place to meet other FJC people even if some people really did not want to go on a trail ride with their own FJC, while they were out there! Right?

If people get the impression, that the Summit is only (or mainly) for people who want to do the trails it "might" make some FJC owners more hesitant to go.

Know what I mean?

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Super great list! And not just for the Summit!

One thing I might point out, that I never thought about before we had the Cruiser Jam down here with its own little off road track! And I am not throwing any stones here or implying anything by these impressions!

But, there was quite a few FJC owners who were concerned about driving around the small track they had set up at the jam. The same track some of us, regular trail riders thought was pretty tame, (some of us did get stuck). :) :)

I guess my point is, I believe, the Summit would be a great place to meet other FJC people even if some people really did not want to go on a trail ride with their own FJC, while they were out there! Right?

If people get the impression, that the Summit is only (or mainly) for people who want to do the trails it "might" make some FJC owners more hesitant to go.

Know what I mean?
Exactly! There are always people around the town, hanging out at the main meeting area at the best western! It's a great experience if you don't want to do the trails! A great little town with beautiful scenery!

Come one, come all!!! If you are on a long road trip, the last thing you want to worry about is breaking something, right? Going on the trails with your FJ is not required! Heck, there are people that will let you ride along too! :D

21 - 40 of 90 Posts