Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I guess my point is, I believe, the Summit would be a great place to meet other FJC people even if some people really did not want to go on a trail ride with their own FJC, while they were out there! Right?

If people get the impression, that the Summit is only (or mainly) for people who want to do the trails it "might" make some FJC owners more hesitant to go.

Know what I mean?
Paul, This was the reason I posted the amended/shortened list.

HOWEVER, if anyone ever intends to go offroad for a second time, they need to start checking things off of LandCruiserSteve's list everytime they go to a 4x4 shop. We as a group seem to want to get new people involved, esp for the Summit, and as such don't look at checklists like you might have for CruiseMoab, or a Rubicon run, etc.

Although as was posted earlier, there are always those people that won't get anything because you or another friend of theirs have it (not counting winches here). The "Can I Borrow" crowd, can I borrow your towstrap, can I borrow your shovel, can I borrow your hi-lift, can I borrow your TP... Kind of like at work, where there is always that one person who never brings their wallet to lunch... lol. (In Colorado, it is generally considered good etiquette to have your own jumper cables in your car...)

LandCruiserSteve, it would be great if you could make a "top 10 things you need after your Summit Hangover" list... So once you hooked them all at the summit, they have the next step to go up to.

NOTE: one thing left off all the lists that should be at the top if you are new -- Attend LandCrusierSteves intro class at the summit!!!!! <---Please!

Back to our regularly scheduled programing...

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,082 Posts
NOTE: one thing left off all the lists that should be at the top if you are new -- Attend LandCrusierSteves intro class at the summit!!!!! <---Please!
X2 LC Steve gives an excellent and informative presentation on "off-road" driving and preparations. While the Toyota Trail Teams present many "How to" sessions on specific techniques, LC Steve's class provides an overall perspective to off-road operation and preparation and is a must for all noobe's and experienced wheelers as well!!! :rocker:

dale

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm a bit late, but... good list. Especially #1.

Are those hand helds up to snuff or what. This is a big problem for me as i dont want to actually mount a CB. I just dont use one enough.
Handhelds are OK, but much better if you get the external magnet mount antenna, and better still with a bandi-mount and 2' or 3' antenna (properly grounded.)

I have the Midland Handheld posted on the bottom pic. You can detach the bottom and hook in a new piece that allows you to attach your external antenna Then just plug in to the cigarette lighter. Works great, no need to mount. I just sit it in my cupholder. When done. Just toss in my toolbag. Used it this week on the Harlan run. In handheld mode running of batteries, the receptions is terrible. I use a bandi mount with a 24" antenna.
I have the Cobra hand-held and I get annoying buzz when I use the cigarette lighter adapter. I keep the adapter with me in case I drain my batteries but mine sounds/works great running off batteries. I just re-charge the batteries right before each trip.

I purchased a hand held CB (Cobra) for last year's Summit. Although it would have been nice for everyone to have communications, I made the Alpine Loop with a very good CB in the fourth vehicle and the "tail-gunner" and I (at the front) could stay informed about the entire trip via relayed communications.

On Blackbear, w5wi was tail gunner and was almost always in communication with the point man (Trail Teams) throughout the run.
Hey KLD, I was your middle-man on the Alpine Loop. I too was using a hand-held but I had dumped the external magnet-mount antenna for the bandi-mount with 3' antenna and a quick disconnect. Both you and the tail-gunner were using hand-helds and I don't think either of you had an external antenna. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) A couple of times, when we got strung out, I lost contact with the tail-gunner. I think they had to get the radio/antenna out-of-the-vehicle at times.

With the quick disconnect, my antenna stays stored in the garage until I take a trip and my inside cable hook-up is out-of-my-way under the driver seat until I hook-up for a trip. I more-or-less followed the bigbill25 install Cobra 75 WXST and Bandi Mount Install for the mount, antenna and cable routing. But, I just routed my cable through the opening by the parking brake and tuck the cable underneath my seat until I hook-in the hand-held for a trip. For anyone considering a hand-held CB that doesn't want to bother with a fixed external antenna mount, I highly recommend the magnet-mount antenna. Getting the antenna outside of the truck will really help with your range.

The hand-held CB and external antenna was the ONLY "truck" modification I had for the trip. My stock Dunlop tires were pretty lame... but that's no reason to skip-the-trip.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Why didn't anyone mention beer? :worried:

Great list, Steve :)
I was thinking the same thing, bring out your favorite or local kine beers to trade around with some folks. Allways a good way to start a conversation. mabey some wine for the ladies.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,082 Posts
LCSteve, Your new motto must now be... "I deliver" !!!

Great thread. I'd give you rep points if it would let me... Maybe the other guys will contribute for this great list!

cheers,

dale

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
LCSteve,
Excellent list! I am already "collecting" the parts so the Fam will be prepared!

As I have started checking with hotels in the area, I have a question: Is there a thread started that compares the plusses and minuses of each hotel? Many are booked solid--so I definitely want to get it booked by week's end. Any SUGGESTIONS? :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm using this as my Christmas wish list. Though my sister was surprised at a $75 tow strap. Until her husband told her about how he almost lost an arm from one of the cheap ones that snapped.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm using this as my Christmas wish list. Though my sister was surprised at a $75 tow strap. Until her husband told her about how he almost lost an arm from one of the cheap ones that snapped.
Christmas list !! that a great idea!! NOw I have to re-write mine :cowsmile:

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'm a bit late, but... good list. Especially #1.
Thanks, KmodoD!!

This thread delivers, thanks!! :D
Any time, Itanius. :)

LCSteve, Your new motto must now be... "I deliver" !!!
"30 minutes or less, or it's free!!" :lol:

LCSteve,
Excellent list!
Thanks, Bob!!

I'm using this as my Christmas wish list.
And, don't forget to tell Santa that I've been a good boy, too. :D

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
LCSteve,
Excellent list! I am already "collecting" the parts so the Fam will be prepared!

As I have started checking with hotels in the area, I have a question: Is there a thread started that compares the plusses and minuses of each hotel? Many are booked solid--so I definitely want to get it booked by week's end. Any SUGGESTIONS? :)
I don't know that there are specific plusses and minuses for the hotels, during the Summit, there is sooooo much going on, the hotel room is really just for sleeping, you won't hardly spend a lot of time in it. The Best Western is where all the action happens. Box Canyon Lodge is literally right next door. Other than that, the town really is small, so anywhere you stay, you won't be far!

Is camping an option for you? Last summer we stayed at Ampitheater - VERY SCENIC, no showers. There is also the KOA.

Next year, we are staying here: Ouray Riverside Inn and Cabins in a camper cabin, which is pretty much camping with a roof and heat and electricity, but that is it. They have a hotel as well.

If you want more info on the other lodging, go here: Ouray Colorado :: Lodging

And book quickly! :)

Hope this helps you a little! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Will Handlheld 2-Way Radios work??

Radio | Handheld 2-Way Radio
Many members have the GMRS/FRS radios (like the one you mentioned). However, CB (Citizen Band) radios are typically the official 4x4 radio. And, that's what you'll see (hear) on the trails at the Summit.

And yes, there are many different hand-held versions of CB's.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Great list. I can only think of a couple things I would recommend beyond your list:

1) All-Terrain tires. Yes, the stock H/T Duncraps will probably make it, but we got a while to go, try to swing some decent A/T tread tires. They're more puncture resistant and work better in the mud and gravel than H/T tread tires.

2) An axe and shovel. Most forest service rules require you have these in your truck (don't know about Colorado, but I know in Washington you're technically supposed to have them if you're on a forest service road). They're not very expensive ($20-30 each) and you can just strap them down in the back cargo area if you don't want to spring for a mounting system (though I just mounted mine to my roof rack with a couple pairs of QuickFist clamps at $10 a pair and some U-Bolts which were about a buck a piece). Most people going will probably have them, but it wouldn't hurt for everyone to have them for just-in-case. Besides, you should have them when you wheel at home anyway!

- Patrick

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Great list. I can only think of a couple things I would recommend beyond your list:

1) All-Terrain tires. Yes, the stock H/T Duncraps will probably make it, but we got a while to go, try to swing some decent A/T tread tires. They're more puncture resistant and work better in the mud and gravel than H/T tread tires.

2) An axe and shovel. Most forest service rules require you have these in your truck (don't know about Colorado, but I know in Washington you're technically supposed to have them if you're on a forest service road). They're not very expensive ($20-30 each) and you can just strap them down in the back cargo area if you don't want to spring for a mounting system (though I just mounted mine to my roof rack with a couple pairs of QuickFist clamps at $10 a pair and some U-Bolts which were about a buck a piece). Most people going will probably have them, but it wouldn't hurt for everyone to have them for just-in-case. Besides, you should have them when you wheel at home anyway!

- Patrick
Yes, both would be nice, but neither is necessary. The whole point of this thread was what was ness/nice to have. You can spend days in Ouray and run trails in a Camry. Look at what people have run in stock tires. Shovel & axe? These are group trail runs, if we need 8 axes to get through something, well, you get the point. Have you ever been to Ouray??? As well intentioned as you seem to be, I don't think you got the point here. For 99.999 % of the people that go to the area surrounding Ouray next season, sunscreen will be more important than an axe. AND, to keep you out of places you might need AT tires, or a shovel, this might be the #11 on the list:

Charles Wells Book, first section is the Ouray area:
https://secure.peakhosting.net/funtreks/index.php?page=book_1

Learn about the area before you go. It's a whole lot easier, and cheaper, to not take your vehicle to an area it's not equipped for, rather than equip your vehicle for an area you may not drive.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes, both would be nice, but neither is necessary. The whole point of this thread was what was ness/nice to have. You can spend days in Ouray and run trails in a Camry. Look at what people have run in stock tires. Shovel & axe? These are group trail runs, if we need 8 axes to get through something, well, you get the point. Have you ever been to Ouray??? As well intentioned as you seem to be, I don't think you got the point here. For 99.999 % of the people that go to the area surrounding Ouray next season, sunscreen will be more important than an axe. AND, to keep you out of places you might need AT tires, or a shovel, this might be the #11 on the list:

Charles Wells Book, first section is the Ouray area:
https://secure.peakhosting.net/funtreks/index.php?page=book_1

Learn about the area before you go. It's a whole lot easier, and cheaper, to not take your vehicle to an area it's not equipped for, rather than equip your vehicle for an area you may not drive.
Wow. Sorry I said anything at all then.

- Patrick

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
1) All-Terrain tires.
2) An axe and shovel.
Yes, both would be nice, but neither is necessary. The whole point of this thread was what was ness/nice to have.
Both of you guys are right. It sure doesn't hurt to be over-equipped for off-road travel . . . be it upgraded tires or additional recovery equipment. But then again, overkill for the actual venue can either load you down with too much gear, spend money that you don't immediately need to, or even scare someone off from attending a certain type of trail run by thinking they're not adequately equipped.

·
Sockless Superstar
11,826 Posts
As far as tires go (and if this was mentioned earlier I apologize);

An AT tire at least would be recommended. Last year a stock radial slashed it's sidewall on BlackBear pass. It was in the group ahead of ours so we ended up passing them as they swapped it out. If this happens in a delicate switchback it could be hair raising to say the least.

In addition, I followed (as best I could) behind the Baja style run of Jason Demello and Sky as they nearly broke the speed of sound flying over Ophir Pass. During that run, the shale slashed through one of the layers of my sidewalls on my Destination MT's. With the layers that are there, it is only cosmetic. Had it been a stock radial it could also have been a bad situation if it were on a shelf road.

...just my .02

41 - 60 of 90 Posts