Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
lol yea i'm a big fan of high gravity, people think i'm a light weight when i say i was smashed off two beers, they should try drinking with me sometime...

did beer make it on the list?
Get over it... You're still a light weight...

But maybe you should talk to LandCruiserSteve about where beer goes on the list...

·
Registered
446 Posts
.... Oh and for something like Summit whats your thoughts on bringin a dog along? Mine loves to ride in the back and all but I wasnt sure if thats cool or a no no
X2 on the dog question...
Make sure pets are allowed where you are lodging! As for the National Forest...General rules for national forests and grasslands ... pets are generally OK (leash often required). But, it's up to you to make sure they're allowed where your're going.

Since some folk have fur/dander allergies, I think it's respectful to always keep pets on a leash, so that these folk can avoid unwanted contact.

We don't have pets... but we do have young children... and the "general public" reacts about the same to both children and pets. So long as they're well-behaved... few object. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can someone recommend a good vendor for the D-shackles, tow-hitch D-shackle piece and the snap strap? I'd like to order everything from one source if possible.

Also... Am I crazy, or did I see a FRONT D-shackle system for the stock bumper, or is that only an option of you go the full-bore bumper replacement route? I don't suspect I'll be doing enough off-roading to warrant a full-blown steel bumper w/ winch, but I like the "tough" look of the shackles up front.

Thanks! Hopefully I can find time to go to CO in July!

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Am I crazy, or did I see a FRONT D-shackle system for the stock bumper, or is that only an option of you go the full-bore bumper replacement route?
Not attached to the OEM bumper. (You must've seen an aftermarket bumper or someone who hung some D-shackles from the front tow hooks.)

Or perhaps, the Lucrum winch mount . . . .

·
Registered
227 Posts
OK then... that's fine. I definitely want t do the trailer hitch ring though and it just seems like a good idea to have the other D-rings and snap strap on-hand. I see the individual D-shackles all over but not anyplace that has the tow receiver one, and some seem more decorative than functional, so I want to be sure I'm getting one that will actually bear weight if I need to use it. Can someone suggest a source? I'm new to offroad vehicles, sorry...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
But maybe you should talk to LandCruiserSteve about where beer goes on the list...
Definitely, back at the camp site/motel (after the trail run). :) :)
x2 And I hope this is a bullet point in your OffRoading 101 course.

OK then... that's fine. I definitely want t do the trailer hitch ring though and it just seems like a good idea to have the other D-rings and snap strap on-hand. I see the individual D-shackles all over but not anyplace that has the tow receiver one, and some seem more decorative than functional, so I want to be sure I'm getting one that will actually bear weight if I need to use it. Can someone suggest a source? I'm new to offroad vehicles, sorry...

Thanks!
Don't know where you are. There are many reputable shops out there. Here in Denver, you really can't beat Sleeoffroad. If you see their custom work, you know you're gonna get a good D-shackle. I mean, who's gonna spend that time and energy on custom work, then give you a crappy D-shackle.
Sleeoffroad.com - Toyota SUV Off-Road Outfitters

Although someone with more manufacturing experience may be able to enlighten us. It is possible all the D-shackles in the world are made in one plant in China...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Since some folk have fur/dander allergies, I think it's respectful to always keep pets on a leash, so that these folk can avoid unwanted contact.

We don't have pets... but we do have young children... and the "general public" reacts about the same to both children and pets. So long as they're well-behaved... few object. :D
And on a leash! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
...Also... Am I crazy, or did I see a FRONT D-shackle system for the stock bumper, or is that only an option of you go the full-bore bumper replacement route?..
I am working on a D-shackle mount attached to the bumper wings. Should be sweeeeeeet! (for removal). A suction cup mount should do it :thinkerg:

Seriously though, if you have the mount I was told you can actually get the shackle from Lowes Hardware (according to James at Expedition).

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Where I work we use Crosby shackles mostly. Working load limit should be stamped on the shackle. If the load limit is given in tons make sure you know if its metric or imperial shackle.

1 tonne (te) = 1000kg
1 ton (t) = 2000lbs

These guys also have allot of rigging gear,
Marine & Industrial Supply - Wire Rope & Rigging, Coatings, General Supplies, Testing Services

I do not know of vendors that are off road specific. I have bought gear from these guys before Toyota FJ Cruiser Equipment and Accessories at Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc

Oh man, sorry for bringing old thread back to life...I just got reading and ended up here.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts