Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done dealing with a confusing issue, hope this helps. I was very close to spending a lot of money that wasn't necessary.

Symptoms: Voltage drop under braking, voltage dive coming to a stop, good start with low idle, stalling idle, battery not charging

I was experiencing all of these issues for about a week and spent time testing the battery (test good), testing the alternator (tested good, including overcharging), and questioning pulleys/belts trying to figure out why my voltage was all over the place.

Easy fix: My throttle body plate was sticking/dirty. Cleaned it, drove until ECU reset.

I have an aftermarket intake (K&N) that had a fitment issue for a short time most likely contributing to excess grime getting into the system, however, I found out the larger intake can confuse the mass air flow sensor regardless. Since I had disconnected the battery to install a lightbar, my ECU was wanting to reset when I restarted and was attempting to do so using a throttle body plate that was not opening consistently. Cleaning it helped the ECU find a baseline to reset and all is well (spent $100 to have it looked at).

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
glad you got it fix... more air is at the cost of less filtering. Add the oil of the filter and that can lead to a gunked up MAF and throttle body plate.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I would not believe all the horror stories about oiled gauze type filters. What stories out there may be errors on owners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I would not believe all the horror stories about oiled gauze type filters. What stories out there may be errors on owners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no argument there. Forums like these are both a blessing and conundrum compared to the pre-internet days. Back then you didnt have a place to share all the various problems and solutions and usually had to consult a trusted mechanic or family member who was good with vehicles. Now, you have to sort through all the various stories and decide which ones might reflect our situation and might point you in a useful diagnostic direction. And sometimes too much confusing/conflicting information can be harder to deal with than not enough info.

Because of the symptoms the OP mentioned, it *might* line up with some of the K&N filtering stories...or it may be he truly had an air leak that was letting in unfiltered air and gunking up the MAF. Just pointing him/her into a direction for consideration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts