Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my local toyota dealer is charging $188.88 includes machining and factory brake pads, your choice of front or rear only. thats special price till the end of june?!?!

since my brakes are sqeaking, i think its time to replace them. any suggestions? and can i go to any toyota dealer and get the same discount specials or do i have to go to the dealer i bought my Fj at? sorry dumb question.

-ryan

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
First of all if it is the front brakes and happends in the morning when it is cold then get them replaced under warranty. There is a TSB out on that one, they replaced my rotors and some clips. I have 30,000 miles on my pads and still have about 50% left.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Claim this prob and everything will be covered under warranty:

Toyota Service Bulletin BR8005 - Front brake noise while in reverse.
Brake Noise When In Reverse

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
First of all if it is the front brakes and happends in the morning when it is cold then get them replaced under warranty. There is a TSB out on that one, they replaced my rotors and some clips. I have 30,000 miles on my pads and still have about 50% left.
Claim this prob and everything will be covered under warranty:

Toyota Service Bulletin BR8005 - Front brake noise while in reverse.
Brake Noise When In Reverse
I don't have this issue, but it's good that you made us aware of a bulletin. Without knowledge of this, I think most people will be paying out of their own wallets for repair. Thanks guys. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, really i wasnt aware of that...i do also have sqeaking probs to in the morning, and while driving during the day passes by. i will try this out. thanks you very much JAXTOY and FJinDFW.

-ryan

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
tell them brakes pulsate, they should cover it

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k thanks appreciate this a lot, and what if i have aftermarket rims and tires. would that be conflict with the brake situation.

-ryan

·
Registered
218 Posts
. . . what if i have aftermarket rims and tires. would that be conflict with the brake situation.

-ryan
Not a difference in the world, no matter what they might try to claim.

You need to find someone in your area who'd be willing to talk you through a brake job. Very easy and no special tools required, but not something you really want to mess with unless you've done it at least once before.

For the price you quoted and 2 hours of dirty labor on your part, you could have new rotors and upgraded pads; plus what you learned doing it yourself might come in handy some day if something was to break on a trail.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I had my fronts replaced under the TSB. It was all done for free and no questions asked. They still make a little noise when cold in the morning as I back out of my long driveway. I don't really care at this point. At 15,000 miles I got new brakes. So I'm happy. I went to Huntington Beach Toyota.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
i still havent gotten my FJC back from the dealer. i turned in my FJC yesterday morning at 9:50AM i stayed there till 12PM they made me get a rental car bc they wanted to leave it here since they needed the FJ cold for the morning in order to hear the sqeak. i told them i had the sqeaking problem when i backed out in reverse and i told them about the bulletin, the service advisor was not aware of it. i just hate leaving any automobile with the dealer. as of right now my i have 32,xxx miles.

what should i do guys? plus im getting me radio checked bc its malfunctioning all stock!
-ryan

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i just called them right now. they said they couldnt hear any noise or anything? and they couldnt fix my radio since, i have a shorter antenna put on. i think i hate my dealer now. will the shorter antenna affect the glitching on my radio, and plus i even showed a video of what it does.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
well i just called them right now. they said they couldnt hear any noise or anything? and they couldnt fix my radio since, i have a shorter antenna put on. i think i hate my dealer now. will the shorter antenna affect the glitching on my radio, and plus i even showed a video of what it does.
My dealer didn't ask to hear the noise, it doesn't do it all the time. They have a TSB on it, they should just fix it. I don't know about the antenna. Do you have a different dealer you can take it to?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got everything resolved, thanks again for all your guys help including the TSB. sqeaking is fixed. they replaced the pad and resurfaced the disc. thanks again

-ryan

ps.
the radio i will prob have it taken to another dealer.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
i got everything resolved, thanks again for all your guys help including the TSB. sqeaking is fixed. they replaced the pad and resurfaced the disc. thanks again

-ryan

ps.
the radio i will prob have it taken to another dealer.
So how did you finally get them to fix it?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i told them again about the TSB, the service guy didnt know anything about TSB so i gave him the TSB number and told him to tell his manager about my problem and there you go no more sqeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkk!!! thanks you guys

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Just went and got this done today, pads and rotors and everything. Free rules!! they are also replacing my inner cv boots because they are leaking at the axle. 27k miles not bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts