Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching coil over suspensions for my future FJ. I have been reading posts for several months and have visited dealer websites and viewed the complete list sticky. I have several questions that I would like addressed by those with personal experience:
I hear complaints of the SAW's rusting is the coil or parts of the strut susceptible to rust?
Are the additional components of the FOX adjustable compression reservoir shocks prone to leaks or breakage?
Is contact at full droop a problem with all C/O's with factory upper control arms?

I live in a very salty area and corrosion is a very serious concern. I plan on wheeling the beach and the mountain areas of the Southwest and would like something that is functional and low maintenance.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I am researching coil over suspensions for my future FJ. I have been reading posts for several months and have visited dealer websites and viewed the complete list sticky. I have several questions that I would like addressed by those with personal experience:
I hear complaints of the SAW's rusting is the coil or parts of the strut susceptible to rust?
Are the additional components of the FOX adjustable compression reservoir shocks prone to leaks or breakage?
Is contact at full droop a problem with all C/O's with factory upper control arms?

I live in a very salty area and corrosion is a very serious concern. I plan on wheeling the beach and the mountain areas of the Southwest and would like something that is functional and low maintenance.
Thanks in advance.
First off, I assume by "contact" you mean contact of the coil and the sway bar, and in that case no, not all coilovers have that problem.

Second, if you live in a really salty environment, I don't think you can go wrong with Icon's with the corrosion resistant coating on them.

Don't forget, the comparison of coilovers has been hashed out countless times in this section, so continue to search and read and you'll get all the information you need. As a note, if you didn't already know, Icon was formally known as Donahoe.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
If you are worried about corrosion, go with the ICON coilovers. They are soon to release romote res rear shocks too. I currently have the OME lift on and the ICON front, and Light racing jounce shocks front and rear sitting in the garage. Once the new rear shocks get here, it is all going it!

I was considering Fox, King, and Icon and was sold on Icon for a few reasons, the biggest of which is the IVD anti-corrosion coating they do. NO other coilover lifts have this feature, so it was pretty much a no brainer. Also, the Icon lift was specifically designed and engineered for the FJ. The King and Fox kits just used parts from existing lifts and adapted them to the FJ (according to the guys at Toytec). I talked to a number of shops that sold all three lifts and all said to go with ICON. My buddy has the ICON lift with the non res. rear shocks and he loves it. I ordered the long travel lift, so a new A-arm is required. Not all lifts need a new arm. If you are staying under 3 inches, you should be ok. I know the OME lift didn't need them. If you do go with new arms, I recommend Light Racing. They are sweet. They are the only ones with a boot on the balljoint like the OEM arm has. It also uses OEM style bushings, so it is quite and maintenance free. If you are concerned about corrosion, an exposed uniball isn't the best Idea IMO. The ball joint on the LR arms is larger and will not bind as some have suggested. We installed the LR arms on my buddys rig and he loves them. The install was very easy too.

Hope that helped!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I've got the new Toytec setup on the front end and I'm happy so far. Great price v. quality. I need to get something to balance out the rear end but I'm short of cash at the momment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts