Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first pulled into a Starbucks in 2006 with the Voodoo Blue Happy Pig, I noticed a man standing by his new Tacoma with dealer plates, and a huge smile. He was petting the hood, almost PG-13 petting. My lights swept the scene as I turned in and then I stopped, waiting for a car to back out of a space. In this moment the man looked up from his wonderful truck and he saw the FJ. His smile dropped. He grimaced. We both had 15 miles on our new Toyotas. Neither of us had even yet removed the window stickers.

People still stop their vehicles in parking lots with others waiting behind them just to ask about the truck. More so maybe after the winch bar and lift, but still. Sometimes as it sits in a parking space I catch others standing by it. Looking at it. I walk up and unlock it. I might hear, “Oh this is yours?”

I might smile and nod, as if to say, “Yeah, sorry it’s not yours.” I call this “FJ guilt”.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
One time a Japanese tourist took a picture of his daughter next to mine. I wonder if he was an FJ owner back home or just an admirer. 🤔 🤭
He probably designed it.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I bought mine in April '06. People didn't know what it was. Some asked if it was an H4. One know it all was explaining to his friends that it is a hybrid.

When it was still fairly new I was working in Cortez CO for a bit. At the hotel several people were looking at it and taking pictures. They were a group of tourists from Italy. One guy was so happy when I opened the door and motioned for him to sit inside.

I still get the same feeling today as I did years ago when I walk out to it. 126k on it now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My experience is that people have a love/hate thing with it. For everyone who thinks it is cool, there is someone who thinks it looks ridiculous. Many people lump the FJC with the PT cruiser, H2/3, HHR, new beetle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One time a Japanese tourist took a picture of his daughter next to mine. I wonder if he was an FJ owner back home or just an admirer. 🤔 🤭
I've seen some video of Japanese and Chinese off-roaders. They are very serious about their trucks.
These days the hipster man bun crowd is in love with them. Always thumbs up from them
LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My experience is that people have a love/hate thing with it. For everyone who thinks it is cool, there is someone who thinks it looks ridiculous. Many people lump the FJC with the PT cruiser, H2/3, HHR, new beetle.
Yes. Quick example, I pulled up to the coffee shop a few days ago, and there was this toddler holding his Mom's hand. He stopped and gazed in awe as I slowly pulled into the space just in front of his view. His jaw dropped as he pulled his thumb out of his mouth. He pointed at the FJ and exclaimed something to his mother, wide-eyed—I couldn't hear it...but it was unmistakable lip reading..."WOW MOMMY"...the mother was not impressed at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lately I've been thinking about trading the FJ out for a Tacoma, mostly for ease of throwing dirt bikes+MTB's in the bed. It really made me think of letting go of my FJ and I'm not sure I can do it. Even my wife, who's always been on the fence about the FJ, is having some 2nd thoughts... 2007, almost 96k miles - it's barely broken in!

·
Premium Member
11,679 Posts
Lately I've been thinking about trading the FJ out for a Tacoma, mostly for ease of throwing dirt bikes+MTB's in the bed. It really made me think of letting go of my FJ and I'm not sure I can do it. Even my wife, who's always been on the fence about the FJ, is having some 2nd thoughts... 2007, almost 96k miles - it's barely broken in!
A decent trailer solves those problems.

Kids can't seem to get enough of the FJ.....they always point and smile!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
4 hours ago at the Starbucks drive through (my FJ's natural roaming ground), the blonde 20 something barista said "oh nice to see you back in the proper car. I like this much better than the other one." She was referring to liking the FJ a lot, compared to the grandpa Lexus.

There you go, hipster women, like FJs too , not just the man bun crowd :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who wants to go to the Starbucks in Moab with me in March? I'm getting some people together for a Spring Break vacation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
March 8-13, maybe a bit before...meeting my brother in Midland Texas on the way...stay overnight and press on...will be doing some fly fishing in Moab area as well...I'll be contacting a guide...but it will be a tour of the area's trails. Personally I'm not doing the heaviest off road stuff...but Rated 4 Trails and down...most satanically named obstacles will be observe only...ha! Other than that, we're planning to wheel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts