Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Don't ask how I did this because I will surely lie to save the embarrassment. Just some it up as:

Matt was a friggin' idiot and apparently wants to die young in his own driveway.

Anybody ever repaired damage like this? I'm assuming I'll have to replace the motor mounting plate and aluminum brace. BTW, it is (or, more precisely, WAS) a Tabor 9K (by Warn).

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Ouch Matt!

·
Registered
417 Posts
May I ask if you were pulling off to that side at a good angle. been there done that. or the cable back lashed around rod

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch Matt!
Didn't hurt ME none. But it REALLY could have.

NOOOOOO that winch saved my ultra stuck fj one time.... and how!
You and me, both. 'Cept me MANY times.

May I ask if you were pulling off to that side at a good angle. been there done that. or the cable back lashed around rod
Nope. I wasn't doing a pull when this happened.

[Getting closer to telling the truth...:up_to_something:]

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing you were respooling and the line stacked up too high.
Interesting. I wonder if you do this kind of damage that way. Seems possible though.

How about another picture clue!
Here is the stone guard for my ARB bumper. It has a heavy mallet and block of wood in it's future.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Looks like you sucked the hook threw it

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if you do this kind of damage that way. Seems possible though.
I think it could totally happen. If you weren't paying attention and watching the line go from end to end and you just kept letting it turn, you very well could. I've got a 2-speed Titan and I have to be really careful towards the end of the respool if I'm on high speed mode.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does this "incident" involve a jack (maybe hydraulic, maybe hi-lift)?
WINNER!!!

The culprit!

Was jacking up the front end with the HiLift from the bumper, with the intention of setting it down on the jack-stands at the flat fram areas the front recovery point are attached to. I had the e-brake on and had placed concrete chalks BEHIND the rear wheels (but not in front). Once the front end was up I possitioned the jack-stand under the passenger side and was moving around to position the driver side when the WHOLE DANG TRUCK swung over towadr the passenger side pivoting on the HiLift.
THAT was a close one. I was trying to be clever and do the whole front end at once. Could have ended REALLY badly.
:twak:
DeeTeeDee

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Damn man, thank your lucky stars. Something like that can change (or end) your life in a split second.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sorry about the winch, but it's a good lesson for all of us. I love my Hi-lift jack, but the damned thing is dangerous. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahhhhh yes... that whole thing. For whatever reason, nearly every time I've HiLifted the entire front or rear end, it's fallen off by swinging the whole truck to the side. I don't even try any more!
I'm done as well. All seems fine when I'm doing one corner or even doing a complete side from the sliders. But this instance was a case of me trying to be clever cutting a few corners so I could service the front suspension AND remove thr rear swaybar in one shot. Lesson learned.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Matt,

The main thing is that you are okay! The winch can be repaired like the ARB pan.

cheers,

dale

1 - 20 of 22 Posts