Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my takeover and continued build of what is now
:ninja:"THE EVIL SMURF":ninja:

"THE EVIL SMURF" is a 2007 FJ that I purchased used in late Feb 2013. I have always liked the FJ's, but had stayed away from buying one because I had always been told they were not available in a manual transmission. One day, while being nosey at a dealership, I happened to peak into a new FJ and low and behold I see a stick in the console. Hark! It just so happened at the time my Jeep WJ was in need of major upgrades or replacement.

I chose replacement.:rocker:

A quick search on the net found a manual trans FJ at a dealership just down the road from my house. I told my wife that I just wanted to go for a test drive and check it out. 4 hours and 1 down payment check later we left with this:

Now, I must be fair and give a major thanks to Paul (Scavenger) for starting me off with a great truck. He even met up with me after I bought the truck and walked me through all of the mods he had made. I was also able to purchase the rock rails and the travel fridge/freezer he had.

Starter Mods:

URD Short Throw Shifter, Safari Snorkel, Garvin Wilderness Roof Rack, GOBI Ladder, Switchable Daytime Running Lights, Mile Marker 12,000 lb Winch, ARB Front Bumper w Bull Bar, ARB Fog Light Kit, Towing Hitch, Trailer Braking Kit, Bumper Mounted Trailer Harness, Everblades Heated Wiper Blades, 3" OME Lift, Air Lift 1000 Leveling System, Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit, 2 Pair PIAA Lights Bumper Mounted, 2 Pair PIAA Lights Roof Mounted, Trail Lights Both Side and Rear, CB Mounted above rearview mirror, Custom Bumper Mounted Jerry Can Rack, Custom Cargo Storage Box, Fire Extinguisher,

With this start I was headed for the trails...:rocker:

I have since added a few more mods to the list:

Springtail rear door rack, Light Racing UCA's, Trail Grappler 295/70's, Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, Custom switch/dash panels, Hula Girl, Custom Tablet mount, HiLift, Bandi mount & 4' Firestik, Seat warmers, Synthetic Winch line, Black out treatment w/ painted hood panel, Aggressive BMC, Mud Flapectemy, Removed the Flares, Warrior Roof Rack, Rigid LED's, Black Roof

Here is the most current setup:

·
Premium Member
10,890 Posts
G'day and welcome from Down Under.
Looks great .. :bigthumb: smurfs are the only colour ... but to call him evil is an injustice ... :rofl::rofl:
he is a happy smurf ... tricked n rigged to go any where.:clap:

Cheers
Baz
:cheers:
:blueblob::blueblob::blueblob:

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "Evil" comes from my start on the mods list. My daughter calls it the big smurf. I told her "if it has to be a smurf, it will be "The Evil Smurf".

I'm starting small to get used to how FJ's are put together and working on blacking out all of the silver:

Blacked Bezel and Front Lights

Blacked Tail Lights and Logos

Next to get blacked out are the wheels, mirrors, hood anti glare panel, roof, and the silver trim on the bottom of the rear bumper. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Nice buy!!! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,890 Posts
G'day,
haha, your daughter is right .... big smurf ... lol ...
a smurf just can't be evil ... haha
just joking ... there is room for an evil smurf in FJ land..
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
10,293 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
great job, the evil smurf looks awesome

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
wow, you lucked out with that FJ ... nice looking, but I'm partial to Voodoo blue ... is that an MGB in the garage (pre 73-74) ... I'm partial to those too, along with TR6's ...

:clap::clap::cheers:

2007 FJ Cruiser – C Pckge - AT
Voodoo Blue

Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift
Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T

·
Premium Member
16,451 Posts
The mods are looking nice! :cheers:

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, I have a lot of stuff I would like to do, but unfortunately I don't have a huge budget to play with right now. I'm gonna try to pick up some odds and ends for a while just to get stocked up on little stuff. Paint is pretty cheep and a little labor goes a long way.

Next will probably be more things turning black. The mirrors are next then prob the anti glare panel on the hood. I want to paint the roof black but I have to put weather connectors on all of the roof light wiring so the rack can come off all at once.

I would like to have it set up as an expedition rig. Able to get just about anywhere and ready for as much as possible.

So far, I've got it figured this way. Let me know what you think.

Needs:

FIRST AID KIT
RECOVERY KIT
SHACKLES
TIRE REPAIR KIT
HIGH LIFT JACK
AXE / SHOVEL
ROOF LIGHT BRUSH GUARDS
REMAINING SKID PLATES
OBA & TANK
JERRY CANS X 6
DASH TOP GUAGE CLUSTER
FLASH LIGHT W/ CHARGER
POWER INVERTER
BIKE RACK

Wants:

GPS STEREO
BETTER SPEAKERS
UNDER DASH LIGHTS
CHANGE LIGHTS TO BLUE
SPIDERTRAX SPACERS
WIDER WHEELS
ROCK LIGHTS
SYNTH WINCH ROPE
REAR DOOR MOLLE RACK
FR CONSOLE MOLLE RACK
REAR SIDE MOLLE RACK
WOOL BLANKETS
TRASHAROO
MOVE LIGHT SWITCHES
SIDE POPOUT WINDOWS
UNDER HOOD LED'S
BLACK ROOF
BLACK MIRRORS

I'm sure my order and lists will change over time, but I figure as long as I keep plugging away at it I will eventually get it squared away.​

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:ninja:EVIL SMURF:ninja:

MORE BLACK OUTS

MIRRORS AND HOOD "ANTI GLARE" PANEL PAINTED WITH BED LINER

READY TO PAINT THE HOOD PANEL:

HOOD AND MIRRORS BLACKED:

:ninja:EVIL SMURF:ninja:

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I haven't done much on the outside lately, but I've been trying to get the "essentials" list put together. I'm getting some of the "needs" list whittled down slowly.

Escape Hammer Tool Thingy

Recovery Bag: Snatch Block, Tree Strap, Tow Strap, Ratchet Straps, Shackles, Bungie Cords, Winch Controller, Zip Ties, Tape (Duct & Electrical), WD40

Tire Repair Kit

A Good Start to a First Aid Kit

The Beginnings of my Electrical Box

And the Rest of my "Essential" Gear: Blanket, Flashlight, Golf Shoes, Baseball Glove, Wind Breaker

1 - 20 of 133 Posts