Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably a little late to start my build thread, but I decided to stop kidding myself and admit that I will continue to throw money into my FJ and there will always be "one more thing" I need to add.

I titled it Round 2 because this is my second FJ. I had an original 2007 Voodoo Blue "right off the boat" in 2006. I loved it but had a chance to keep most of the toys and trade up to a new 2010 white flavor last year.

Moved from previous FJ:
Gobi Stealth Rack \ Ladder \ Hella Lights
Bandi mount and CB (center console handheld)

The first new purchases for the white one: (which my wife calls Stormtrooper but that name is taken here)

Demello Sliders
BFG All Terrain Tires
Icon Stage 1 Lift \ Total Chaos UCA's \ Body Chop *Thanks Metal tech!*

Next, some interior mods:
Pioneer AVH-P4300 \ Polk Audio Amp \ iPhone Dock \ JL Stealth Box
This combination really works well. You can't praise Pandora in your dash enough. Pioneer also allows an "app mode" that can direct display certain programs from your iPhone.

Yes, I was picky enough to track down a factory light switch for the roof lights.
The Garmin mounts off to the left. I can run a Motion X nav app through the stereo but on trails where internet is sketchy, the Garmin reigns supreme.

Recently, I added an Expedition One front bumper. A winch is coming but other priorities have put it on hold for a bit. Lights will also fill in the blanks as soon as I decide what brand. I am open to suggestions on the lights. Fog? PIAA? The original Summit badge is cheating a little (the old Blue FJ ran the trails) but I plan to replace it with a new one this summer!

I couldn't stand the wiper fluid tank hanging down on the 2010, so the Expedition One tank was installed yesterday

I really hope to get the winch and bumper lights installed before the summer, we shall see. Soon after that, I will need to find a back bumper that doesn't have silver wings on it.

This forum has been awesome over the last several years and I feel really fortunate to have local resources like Metal Tech around to help with stuff that is beyond the simple bolt on projects.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Hey, looks good so far. Another iceberg buildup is always good. what winch are you going with? I would suggest going with PIAA lights on the bumper. They seem to work good for me and I have them on the bumper and roof rack.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, looks good so far. Another iceberg buildup is always good. what winch are you going with? I would suggest going with PIAA lights on the bumper. They seem to work good for me and I have them on the bumper and roof rack.
The winch advice I have so far is "buy Warn, it's worth it"
To be honest, if I find a winch that can drop into the Expedition One without having to remove it all, that might be a great sales point for me. I'm lazy :)

Did you go with fog lights in bumper or standard?
Here in Oregon, fog lights might prove more useful since the overheads are plenty bright off road.

J

·
Registered
95 Posts
How are the total chaos treating you the blasting threw the dunes they are the best mod yet

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How are the total chaos treating you the blasting threw the dunes they are the best mod yet
Ha! I haven't blasted through the dunes with this one yet. My last FJ was well abused in the Oregon Dunes so I decided that I wasn't taking the brand new one into the sand until it see Ouray this summer :)

The Total Chaos UCA's will see the dunes someday though
J

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found another fun picture with the interior ripped out.
This is the amp install. Using ideas found elsewhere in this forum, I took a plastic cuttingboard and slid it under the floor beneath the driver side vents.

Using nylon spacers on just the back side... the amp mounts to the board, leaves room for the vent, and no holes drilled clear through the floor.

Works great :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Warn 9.5cti

Warn winch went in yesterday. Had to leave the grill on before putting this monster in the EXP-1. PIAA Lights are waiting on the bench to go in at some point. Now I need to shop for a license-plate-attach-to-the-fairlead solution.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looking fantastic.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Looks sharp. Really like the Icebergs, and the Expedition One Base Bumper (no hoops, no loops. Think that's they call them).

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks sharp. Really like the Icebergs, and the Expedition One Base Bumper (no hoops, no loops. Think that's they call them).
Thanks! I'm considering some bushwacker fender flares next, but having a hard time justifying them in my mind. I also have gas money to the summit coming up which is no small chunk of change :/

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Loving those icebergs. Great build-up so far.

Second what Chris said, those Exp-1 bumpers look awesome with no hoops IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts