Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simpsons fans will know that to be a Homer Simpson quote. I always believe they are a rip off. They would only sell it to you if they make a profit off it, right?

Here is the deal:
Just bought a C package 2007 with 66K km on it (41K Miles).
My mechanic looked it over and said nothing wrong with it, so get it.
Current comprehensive warranty is up.
Powertrain warranty will end in 5 years (soon) or 100K km.

The Toyota dealer suggested a discounted extended warranty on it.
I first said "no thanks" but asked for a delay in the decision until I go pick up the vehicle. That day is tomorrow.

So, should I spend the extra $1400 on an additional 60K of comprehensive? This coverage will give me warranty until 126K km (78K miles). Which, I would not expect any real warranty work to be done until after that period. I am thinking of declining the extended warranty, but wondered what you all thought based on your experience.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Depending on your build date,the only thing to worry about would be the rear diff! Other than that you should have no major issues that $1400.00 could'nt take care of!

Keep in mind as well that amount of money if added to your financing will be much more because of interest over the length of your loan!

If peace of mind is what you are looking for then by all means,but you still have 34,000kms of powertrain left,if anything happens between now and then it will be covered!

:cheers:

Welcome:wave:

·
Registered
476 Posts
The price is negotiable. Also, ask about the deductible. Higher the deductible lower the cost. Good luck and welcome to the forum! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice so far everyone, and thanks for the welcome.

The price they quoted is discounted already. They claim it is their cost and they just sell it to keep head office off their backs.

Tonka, I will PM you.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far everyone, and thanks for the welcome.

The price they quoted is discounted already. They claim it is their cost and they just sell it to keep head office off their backs.

Tonka, I will PM you.
THATS A LOAD OF CRAP! here are the prices:
7/100k-$495
7/125k-$765
8/100k-$735
8/125k-$995

Stand them up! Cost is the same for every dealer in the country. Seriously, if they give you a hard time all I need is the certification # and i will get you one @ $100 over cost. Just pm me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Tonka.

I PM'd you. I am in Canada. Maybe we get the shaft here? They have 3 plans:
1yr/20km @ $1600
2yr/40km @ $1700
3yr/60km @ $1800

They offered the 60km one for $14K, which they claim is their cost.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
OMG. That can't be right! $16,000 for 1 more year? You can buy a car for that.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Depending on your build date,the only thing to worry about would be the rear diff! Other than that you should have no major issues that $1400.00 could'nt take care of!

Keep in mind as well that amount of money if added to your financing will be much more because of interest over the length of your loan!

If peace of mind is what you are looking for then by all means,but you still have 34,000kms of powertrain left,if anything happens between now and then it will be covered!

:cheers:

Welcome:wave:
I bought a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty for $1043. I got quotes from that to $2699 for the exact same warranty.

So far I've had a power steering pump, two door lock actuators, and a 4wd computer replaced under my extended warranty. No deductible and no excuses from toyota.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Aloha from Cali! Hey Tonka, if one already has an extended warranty, can they cancel it and get one from you? (sorry to hijack)

·
Registered
32 Posts
that is a good price. we sell that same warranty for $890.
that is a great price....my dealer told me my special discount price was $1500for a 6 year 75K.....so i searched around and got mine through Jerry Johnson
at Midwest Toyota- Midwest Superstore.....picked up an 8 YEAR 100,000 MILES @$1,039.00.......your prices are excellent.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I paid $1200 platinum 7 year -100,000 I normally buy new cars and have no idea what the guy or girl before me did so I may have gotten ripped for a few hundred but I feel safer having it.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
My extended warranty has paid for itself 3 times over. It's the only way my dealership was able to replace 2 (possibly 3) busted rear diff, a front diff, pullies, and wheel sensor. Find the right price and get it :)

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
welcome to the gang.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
The dealer first offered 8 year 75,000 for $1560, then lowered it to $1460.

As I was about to leave and a different guy (the closing paper work finance guy) said he could knock another $200 off it.

I told them I would let them know tomorrow as I had to come back and drop off the pink slip for my trade in.

Was also quoted a $1790 for 8 year/100,000 platinum, $0 deduction.

After reading this thread a few days ago, I thought I better do a little research before I bought anything.

When I go back tomorrow... is there a price range that would be a good deal for me, and a fair deal for the dealer?

Are we talking about the same Toyota Platinum Extra Care warranty? (they tried to tell me some of the prices quoted in this thread were probably not for the same warranty).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts