Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed doug thorley headers and a y pipe. I think I have an exhaust leak. It doesn't seem responsive and it's making a strange hissing/sucking sound.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm glad I bought the original y-pipe from urd. To me DT is just sells cheap problematic items. Just look at the problems with their headers...
boostedfj

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
WOW Pkelly. I just spent the last half of today underneath addressing this exact problem. I think I have it fixed. I also have a phone message into URD about it. They will take care of it and get back to me promptly as always.

I had taken it in 3 times to fix the exhaust leak. This time I took it apart and I was gonna get to the bottom of it. The problem is that the Thorley diameter is about an eighth larger than the URD y-pipe. This is what is blowing out the crush gaskets; they are not able to get a 100% seal.

Tomorrow morning we will see if my fix worked. I spread exhaust sealant all over both pieces after giving the flanges a good steel-wool scrubbing. The sealant will be dry in the morning and we'll see how it does.

I put in a new crush gasket in one side and reused the one in the other side because I only had one extra. Both old crush gaskets were completely fried even though I put them in only 2 weeks ago. The doughnut in back at the end of the Y-pipe does not appear to be leaking in my case.

So cross your fingers for us both Pkelly. The sealant was some Pep Boys stuff; perhaps someone here knows something better.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
So are both of you using the URD y pipe??? So is this because the URD Y/pipe is designed to bolt up to the stock header?? Would a person have this same problem with all aftermarket headers??
:cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So are both of you using the URD y pipe??? So is this because the URD Y/pipe is designed to bolt up to the stock header?? Would a person have this same problem with all aftermarket headers??

I'm using DT headers and y pipe but the same is true for both. The I.D. of the DT is 2.25" and the stock gasket is roughly 2.0". I'm headed to kragen tomorrow and look through there gaskets and I will get some of that sealant as well.

It is a pain but at least it's diagnosed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved.

I went to my local hardware store this morning and got two new gaskets that were slightly larger than stock but same overall look. I went with ones that were about 2.25" ID

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Pkelly I will do the same. I did not have great results with the sealant. I sent an email in to Gadget and he'll probably respond here soon.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
No - the pipe doesn't leak. This was just hooking it up with this particular DT header, and looks like Pkelly figured out the fix.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Ran full length headers on my 85 Mustang GT and it took some trial and error before I found collector gaskets that sealed properly.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
So, did you solve the leaking y-pipe problem???:bandit:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, did you solve the leaking y-pipe problem???:bandit:
Yes. I used a larger gasket that I got from the auto parts store. It was 2.25" inside diameter. They were like $3/piece.

It's loud. My wife isn't impressed but it's not so bad that the neighbors complain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is a problem that we know may occur. What we have done is started using factory 3.4 v6 y-pipe crush gaskets as they are a bit bigger in diameter and are a bit taller. Also they are available at any Toyota dealership. They work great and as of now we are going to start supplying them with new production y-pipe kits.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is a problem that we know may occur. What we have done is started using factory 3.4 v6 y-pipe crush gaskets as they are a bit bigger in diameter and are a bit taller. Also they are available at any Toyota dealership. They work great and as of now we are going to start supplying them with new production y-pipe kits.

Thanks
Nick
Hey Nick-

Can you send me some?

I would appreciate it. Oh, and a t-shirt would be nice.

Peter Kelly
2502 5th ave
Merced, CA 95340

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I have a horrible exhaust leak right now. Where the DT y-pipe hooks up to both manifolds... its is bad enough that i can hear it throughout the rpm range and if i put my hand near under idle i can feel the exhaust pumping out :(

I emailed Gadget and am waiting on part numbers.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Hey Nick-

Can you send me some?

I would appreciate it. Oh, and a t-shirt would be nice.

Peter Kelly
2502 5th ave
Merced, CA 95340
x2 any way that any of us cutomers that bought the first editions could get some of the gaskets???

·
Registered
504 Posts
PKelly,
Glad to see you finally got it sorted out.:bigthumb: you feel the nice loss in torque?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts