Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am in to my 5th day of owning my FJ, I just love it (sold my Rubicon for it:rocker:

Anyways, I am slowly investing in it...

So far I just ordered the TRD CAI for it, all weather mats, carpet mats, new Alpine stereo with XM, upgrade front door speakers, LOL (new dog crates for my best friends on our trips to the park.

So my next mod I would like to do is an exhaust. I am not that concerned about big gains in anything, however I would enjoy a nice throaty type exhaust sound, maybe a little bit of a rumble:lol:

Is there any recommendations in regards to something for under $500.00 give/take that amount? (flowmaster):lol: (only one I know), and whatever I get, would it have to work hand in hand with my CAI (I am very non mechanical). I also want one that would pass emmisions (feel free to flame the hell out of me for my stupid questions).

I appreciate the help, and in return if you have dog, cat, law enforcement, gun questions, I am kind of knowledgable on that type of stuff:)

I just appreciate the help.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey Jasper!

Welcome and congrats on the FJ!!
I am fairly non mechanical myself but so far all the mods I have done I have managed to do myself without breaking anything! The TRD CAI is a great investment, easy install and gives a great sound. It was the first mod I did as well and I can assure you that you won't be disapointed.

As far as exhausts go there are lots of options and you can search them using the search function and there is plenty of info from people more qualified than I am.
In short, depending on what you want the easiest exhaust mod to do is the cat back type. There are various manufacturers of this type of exhaust, I got in on a group buy hosted by FJoel and purchased a JBA cat back for a great price. Check the group buy section as I think he had another one going recently. That combined with the CAI has a great throaty sound and the install is plug and play for the most part - just take off the stock and attach the aftermarket. Make no mistake, it does not sound like a V8 but it sounds better than stock IMO.

You can also change out the headers. I have read on here that the Doug Thorleys are awesome and make a huge difference in performance and sound. Here's a link that demonstrates the sound a bit YouTube - FJ Cruiser Headers Sound 1
Some people have had issues with rust on the Doug Thorleys but JBA also makes them and I know there are others. This is a mod I would like to do myself in the near future.
As far as emmissions go it depends on the manufacturer as the first set of cats will be affected by changing the headers out. Again, I am not an expert on this and there are others on here who can probably bettter inform you but it is something to be aware of.

I hope that gives a little info that helps.

BTW nice sheppherd - i love those dogs. What type of Alpine unit did you get?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jasper!

Welcome and congrats on the FJ!!
I am fairly non mechanical myself but so far all the mods I have done I have managed to do myself without breaking anything! The TRD CAI is a great investment, easy install and gives a great sound. It was the first mod I did as well and I can assure you that you won't be disapointed.

As far as exhausts go there are lots of options and you can search them using the search function and there is plenty of info from people more qualified than I am.
In short, depending on what you want the easiest exhaust mod to do is the cat back type. There are various manufacturers of this type of exhaust, I got in on a group buy hosted by FJoel and purchased a JBA cat back for a great price. Check the group buy section as I think he had another one going recently. That combined with the CAI has a great throaty sound and the install is plug and play for the most part - just take off the stock and attach the aftermarket. Make no mistake, it does not sound like a V8 but it sounds better than stock IMO.

You can also change out the headers. I have read on here that the Doug Thorleys are awesome and make a huge difference in performance and sound. Here's a link that demonstrates the sound a bit YouTube - FJ Cruiser Headers Sound 1
Some people have had issues with rust on the Doug Thorleys but JBA also makes them and I know there are others. This is a mod I would like to do myself in the near future.
As far as emmissions go it depends on the manufacturer as the first set of cats will be affected by changing the headers out. Again, I am not an expert on this and there are others on here who can probably bettter inform you but it is something to be aware of.

I hope that gives a little info that helps.

BTW nice sheppherd - i love those dogs. What type of Alpine unit did you get?

Thank you very much, much appreciated on such late hours:cheers:

I bought this one

Alpine iDA-X100 Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

The reason being that I do so much downloading of music, and it takes the palce of cd's:clap: (I am so sick of those things, mine get scrateched all the time.

I save all my threads, so I can go back and read what everyone tells me, thanks again.

Also, thanks for the compliment about Jasper, everyone should have a GSD, they are so incredible.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thats a nice head unit - I went with the Alpine W205 because it fit the double din space but I hear you on the cd's.

I haven't heard the TRD but from what I have read it isn't that loud.

·
Registered
53 Posts
AFE exhaust is the ****. I just got it put on my fj last week. It has a nice rumble and it's loud but not too loud. It's a 3 inch cat back which is nice because all the other like;Flowmaster,magnaflow....... are all 2 1/2. It comes with a nice exhaust tip also. The tip is 3in 5out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts