Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been toying around with the idea of doing a complete overhaul on my FJC exhaust but had a few questions in mind. Would it be pointless to do a shorty header into a high flow cat into a URD Y-pipe? Would this work or fit properly? Or does it specifically have to be a longtube header in order to work? I have not seen any photos with a shorty into a Y-pipe. Would it just be better to go with a longtube header with Y-pipe combo? Any setups that would allow me to utilize a better flowing exhaust but still keeping some emissions controls on? Keep in mind not looking for the loudest car on the block and not expecting significant power gains. Any input?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Shorty headers work great. They weld on to the existing pipe before the first cats. Y pipe bolts on to the other side of the cats. Long tubes replace the first cats and bolt up to the Y pipe.

I loved my shortys. Great sound and more punch in the mid/high rpm range. Sounded great too. I bought a different Fj and miss them. Remember, you will loose a little in the low end with headers and it is actually a little quieter with shortys when compared to the manifolds.

Shortys, y pipe, and a universal style borla pro xs muffler is about as good as you can get on flow without losing too much low end power. Plus it sounds sweeet without being overwhelming. Good luck! I'll look for some pics, but u may be sol on that.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any ideas on how far?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts