Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I went off roading this past weekend, in the el Paso mtns, but I did'nt get far. Sorry, I did'nt mean to hijack that other post, so here it is seperate. The mine was damn near impossible to see, it had a sign post, behind a bush, but the sign was missing. It was only about 20 yards from a fire pit, in a primitive campsite, that had about 20 fire pits. It was less than 100 yards from main road. I truly did not expect an open shaft in this location. When the FJ fell in, it felt like slow motion, it start to sink, then it flipped on it back. I thought I had just flipped it in a trench at first, until I noticed the gaping hole I was staring down.

Here you go, I edited this post to add all the video at the start.
YouTube - Pulling an FJ out of a mine shaft part 1
YouTube - Pulling an FJ out of a mine shaft part 2
YouTube - Looking for Gophers

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
jebus! you ok?

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
That is nuts! I am glad you guys got out of there ok.

·
Registered
866 Posts
That is incredible!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well, I went off roading this past weekend, in the el Paso mtns, but I did'nt get far. Sorry, I did'nt mean to hijack that other post, so here it is seperate. The mine was damn near impossible to see, it had a sign post, behind a bush, but the sign was missing. It was only about 20 yards from a fire pit, in a primitive campsite, that had about 20 fire pits. It was less than 100 yards from main road. I truly did not expect an open shaft in this location. When the FJ fell in, it felt like slow motion, it start to sink, then it flipped on it back. I thought I had just flipped it in a trench at first, until I noticed the gaping hole I was staring down.

:jawdrop: :mecry: Can you say pucker factor? I'm really sorry to see anyone's rig like that. I guess it could always be worse e.g., you could have kept dropping.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Glad to see that you walked away from that one, seems it could have been a whole lot worse.

·
Registered
289 Posts
that is wild any idea how deep the shaft is your insurance adjuster is not going to believe this one with out photos glad your ok

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
32,673 Posts
WoW!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is wild any idea how deep the shaft is your insurance adjuster is not going to believe this one with out photos glad your ok
The shaft is about 50-60ft deep, but at night, hanging from the seat belt, it looked a lot deeper. We had to step out of the FJ, and onto the tire, to get to safety. That was the scariest part. Later found out that the tire was the only thing keeping it from going all the way.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
oh my god. That is insane. Sorry to hear your short excursion, that sure does ruin the fun factor. Glad to hear everyone was okay. You'd think they would put caution tape around it. Could you imagine if a dirtbiker road into that thing?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Shafts like that are really common in Nevada. Many of them have been fenced off for safety, but many are still wide open and ready to swallow you up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I can't see the pic but I can imagine the Oh SH1T factor going on when it happened.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Saw this in the other thread and now just saw the pics. WoWsers:jawdrop: :eek: You are lucky, glad you made it outta there in one piece. Do you have pics of the fj after you recovered it?

UB

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
You were very lucky, glad everyone is alright. Sorry to hear about the FJ.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts