Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we had around 29 Group Buy participants that purchased a variety of different front and rear Exp-1 bumpers. Some have already posted photos of their bumpers but I thought it would be nice to start a new thread showing all of the different bumpers.

First off to answer my own question - yes, a Warn 9.5Ti winch will fit in the front. Be sure to install the grill before the winch and bumper. Otherwise, you'll need to do some trimming. Also, I ran the rear backup light wires through the frame all the way to the front just under the engine bay. It made the installation pretty easy.

These bumpers are fantastic! They fit well and look great! :cheers: to all that partcipated.

Now, let's see the other pics!

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I know we had around 29 Group Buy participants that purchased a variety of different front and rear Exp-1 bumpers. Some have already posted photos of their bumpers but I thought it would be nice to start a new thread showing all of the different bumpers.

First off to answer my own question - yes, a Warn 9.5Ti winch will fit in the front. Be sure to install the grill before the winch and bumper. Otherwise, you'll need to do some trimming. Also, I ran the rear backup light wires through the frame all the way to the front just under the engine bay. It made the installation pretty easy.

These bumpers are fantastic! They fit well and look great! :cheers: to all that partcipated.

Now, let's see the other pics!
Pics forthcoming, but did you switch the reverse lights, or do function in reverse?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts

Takes three apps on IPhone to post pics.

Still determined to find winch that'll conceal in bumper.

Delancy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics forthcoming, but did you switch the reverse lights, or do function in reverse?
I ran the PIAAs independent of the FJ's reverse lights so they only come on when I activate the PIAA switch. I've thought about installing a set of Contura switches by OTRATTW but I've read both good and not so good posts so I'm on the fence.

BTW - Nice looking ride!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Gonna finally get to test her out on the trail later this month! :rocker:

Taped my rear lights to the back up bulb on the left tail light. Have rear roof lights on a switch already. Also used a drop bracket on the tire swing to help see a lil bit beter around my 35's.

Thanx E1 :bigthumb:

So how is everyones gas milage now? :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Gonna finally get to test her out on the trail later this month! :rocker:

Taped my rear lights to the back up bulb on the left tail light. Have rear roof lights on a switch already. Also used a drop bracket on the tire swing to help see a lil bit beter around my 35's.

Thanx E1 :bigthumb:

So how is everyones gas milage now? :lol:

I wish I had ordered the swing out. Looks sharp.

Did you tap the the relay supplied with lights to bulb running power from front? Sorry for questioning on this thread, but I was looking to tap somewhere in the harness. Curious to specifics.

Delancy

·
Registered
900 Posts
I wish I had ordered the swing out. Looks sharp.

Did you tap the the relay supplied with lights to bulb running power from front? Sorry for questioning on this thread, but I was looking to tap somewhere in the harness. Curious to specifics.

Delancy
NOPE, relays are for switches! Just more wires for the junk drawer. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
My frontal deer impact report for Expedition One bumper.

Hit a small doe this morning at 50mph. I know it's probably an un-intended design, but literally think the forward rake of the hoops on bumper saved the hood and windshield.

All happened relatively quickly, but saw the doe roll up, then forward.

I hate hitting animals, more for the animal than potential damage, but figured I post what occurred, in regards to the Bumper. No damage, but a very small doe.

For what it's worth.

Delancy

·
Registered
920 Posts
Quick (off topic) question. I just ordered a Warn 9.5cti and it comes with a roller fairlead. It looks like yours in stalled with a "hawte" fairlead, I'm just wondering if it matters what we use? I like the flat look of the exp-one fairlead in your pics but being a winch newbie I have no idea how it affects function and use?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Quick (off topic) question. I just ordered a Warn 9.5cti and it comes with a roller fairlead. It looks like yours in stalled with a "hawte" fairlead, I'm just wondering if it matters what we use? I like the flat look of the exp-one fairlead in your pics but being a winch newbie I have no idea how it affects function and use?
I'm not an expert, but rollers surely create less friction, decrease wear over hawse. Probably more so with steel braided, versus synthetic.

I read somewhere the hawse was better for clearance, but not sure where.

Have the hawse for EXP One, and intended on synthetic, because I though that was preferred for.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that if you're using a synthetic line you must use a hawse fairlead. When I was researching fairleads, I found a black Warn hawse fairlead that was good for either steel cable or synthetic rope. I also found another site with custom hawse fairleads that could be used with either a cable or rope and they merely stated that using rope rather than steel cable "would prolong the life of the aluminum fairlead."

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks guys,
I will probably just stick with the roller it comes with, mostly because Exp1 wants $55 for another little slab of metal (I already bought the winch cover plate). My next challenge is to find room for the front license plate Oregon demands! Will post pics after I get the Warn crammed in there.

J

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Thanks guys,
I will probably just stick with the roller it comes with, mostly because Exp1 wants $55 for another little slab of metal (I already bought the winch cover plate). My next challenge is to find room for the front license plate Oregon demands! Will post pics after I get the Warn crammed in there.

J
Are you planning on using the winch cover plate with winch? I've been trying to locate a winch that will fit with cover installed.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Are you planning on using the winch cover plate with winch? I've been trying to locate a winch that will fit with cover installed.
Not using it with my winch (so that money is wasted unless I off load the plate to someone)

While concealed winch would be stealthy/neato, I would have rather gone the other direction and put in a Warn power plant. This bumper won't work with a power plant, but it would have been seriously cool to have onboard air on the side of the winch!

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
We are in the same boat! I ordered the same winch....Also debating the fairlead! And in Oregon (a lot)...Parallel lives I tell ya!

Not using it with my winch (so that money is wasted unless I off load the plate to someone)

While concealed winch would be stealthy/neato, I would have rather gone the other direction and put in a Warn power plant. This bumper won't work with a power plant, but it would have been seriously cool to have onboard air on the side of the winch!

·
Registered
920 Posts
We are in the same boat! I ordered the same winch....Also debating the fairlead! And in Oregon (a lot)...Parallel lives I tell ya!
I am mid installation as I type this. Not entirely easy.
The fairlead bolt holes in the front are just barely too small for the Warn roller bolts.

Can't wait to see if drops the FJ nose down. It's about as heavy as the bumper itself.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
One Warn 9.5cti installed, two PIAA lights to go!
Any good ideas for the license plate?

Also, back on topic :)

Are those Piaa 2100's on your Gobi? Are you pleased with light output?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts