Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got together today with a group of friends to install Expedition One bumpers on both my FJ and another. I wasn't ready to participate in the recent group buy on these bumpers but was able to obtain an equal/better deal from our local Homie.

The quality of the bumpers, fit of the metal, welding and powdercoat finish is all first rate. The shipped bumpers are well protected by plastic wrap and a solid foam barrier around them. No damage or defects were found.

This is not a quick installation, even with several guys working it took a few hours to do the front and rear. The '11 FJ needs the washer bottle relocate kit and that item was impressive by itself. It's obvious some time and money went into designing and building these kits. It's not plastic as I would have expected but a nice looking aluminum bottle. Guys with older FJ's wanted one even though they didn't need it!

Useful Tip: If installing the rear bumper with back-up sensors...check to be sure they work correctly before bolting up the bumper and you no longer have access to them. I didn't check first and one of the sensors is indicating an obstruction and does not shut off. For now I just turn the sensor switch off until we figure it out. If anyone has had this sensor problem and solved it please speak up. I'm wondering if the sensors are directional and may be mounted in a different orientation or if going from a plastic to a metal mounting surface has anything to do with it.

I attached some pics from different angles. They were taken after sunset so I had to adjust the contrast a bit to bring out more detail. I'll be adding some lights to the front bumper fairly soon as well as a winch.

As I expected, the installation of the bumpers dropped the fender height front and rear by slightly less than .5". I have the Bilstein 5100s with Toytec coil overs in front and the Superflex springs in back.

Expedition One....Nice Job! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing those pics.
I'm lookin at picking up Exp 1 gear later this year hopefully for my Iceberg.
I really like their designs and they seem to be very well made. I'm also very impressed with their packaging.
Enjoy those things and keep us posted on ur next mods.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
very nice! thanks much for the info and the great photos.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing those pics.
I'm lookin at picking up Exp 1 gear later this year hopefully for my Iceberg.
I really like their designs and they seem to be very well made. I'm also very impressed with their packaging.
Enjoy those things and keep us posted on ur next mods.
Thanks for the compliment. I'd say don't hesitate to buy their stuff. I will vouch for the 'very well made' and the design.

Check out the added pic of the water bottle; look at that shine, and lid design. Not pictured on the other side, the welded ports for installing the water pump and sensor are equally impressive. Compared to stock...wow!

very nice! thanks much for the info and the great photos.
You're welcome. Here are some more angles.

Another note: If you have a Gobi (or other brands?) ladder on the rear door you may need to do some grinding to gain clearance above the bumper. A friend's ladder needed about 2mm removed on the bottom mount to avoid metal to metal contact.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
that fit and finish really is impressive. the bumpers look like they could have been original equipment.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Looks great.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that fit and finish really is impressive. the bumpers look like they could have been original equipment.
I agree. It's nice how well the finish/texture/color of the powdercoat matches so well with the adjacent trim. The fit is really good, and I'm told they've improved the design over older versions. I should have taken a photo of the backside of the bumper, there's a lot of brace material in there and it's all very clean.

Here's another pic to show how the bumpers are packaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Great postup, I love those bumpers! I have to admit thanks to you I'm beginning to like that front bumper.
Thanks for all the pics

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great. I am in the Market for the exact front bumper. What kind of hook-up did the local "homie" get you? if you don't mind my asking...
The same discount the Group Buy had, on all parts including lights, but probably less than half the shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
On your pics, it looks like there's a plastic "trim" between bumper and front fender behind. Was this something you added, or was it stock?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On your pics, it looks like there's a plastic "trim" between bumper and front fender behind. Was this something you added, or was it stock?
Good eyes! Another friend had an EXP One bumper and had trimmed a couple pieces of .5" irrigation (drip line) to fill in that gap. Just to show me, he took them off his FJ and stuck them in mine. There is a necessary gap of less than .5" between the top of the bumper and the FJ's trim. From what I understand, the bumper is mounted solid to the frame, but the FJ body rides on rubber cushions that allow up/down movement. If the bumper is too close to the body the two will contact during hard off roading. I was shown an example on another FJ with a Warn bumper; damaged body pieces due to no gap there. The trim looks fine there if mounted permanently.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Good eyes! Another friend had an EXP One bumper and had trimmed a couple pieces of .5" irrigation (drip line) to fill in that gap. Just to show me, he took them off his FJ and stuck them in mine. There is a necessary gap of less than .5" between the top of the bumper and the FJ's trim. From what I understand, the bumper is mounted solid to the frame, but the FJ body rides on rubber cushions that allow up/down movement. If the bumper is too close to the body the two will contact during hard off roading. I was shown an example on another FJ with a Warn bumper; damaged body pieces due to no gap there. The trim looks fine there if mounted permanently.
Awesome. Will be looking at the filler.
On my 08, there was a small black plastic piece that the stock bumper wrapped around, right in that same corner. Based on YouTube video, and other installation pics I saw (no instruction on) I removed those. Did you, as well? I can't see that they'd have purpose with Exp One, but I think it may conceal more metal behind bumper. Not wanting to pull this off to install, if no one else has left them in there.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Useful Tip: If installing the rear bumper with back-up sensors...check to be sure they work correctly before bolting up the bumper and you no longer have access to them. I didn't check first and one of the sensors is indicating an obstruction and does not shut off. For now I just turn the sensor switch off until we figure it out. If anyone has had this sensor problem and solved it please speak up. I'm wondering if the sensors are directional and may be mounted in a different orientation or if going from a plastic to a metal mounting surface has anything to do with it.
Great write up. The rig looks great with the set on.

Thanks for the heads up on the rear bumper. This is the exact bumper I've been eyeing because it looks great and is compatible with the factory hitch. I don't know if I can wait to get one on... still saving up for that and a road armor front.

One thing I haven't looked in to yet, is the rear completely bolt on?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Great write up. The rig looks great with the set on.

Thanks for the heads up on the rear bumper. This is the exact bumper I've been eyeing because it looks great and is compatible with the factory hitch. I don't know if I can wait to get one on... still saving up for that and a road armor front.

One thing I haven't looked in to yet, is the rear completely bolt on?
Yes, short of cutting the stock plastics.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts