Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Anyone in the Chicagoland area know where I can pick up a sheet of expanded metal? I'm looking to put a bottom on a rack insert I made but can't seem to find the grating. Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like this:

Thanks,

Les

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I do not know of a specific supplier but I am sure that if you google steel and or metal suppliers in the area there will be several.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I called a couple of the big places that I found but they don't do retail, only commercial sales.
Les

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought a 2ft x 2 ft sheet of 16 gauge 3/8 in expanded at home depot. I welded it to my sliders and it works great. Found it at Home Depot near their threaded rods and chains. Took a little searching but I found it. Watch out its pretty sharp stuff untill you prime/paint it. They sell it for use with like weber grills and stuff

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a 2ft x 2 ft sheet of 16 gauge 3/8 in expanded at home depot. I welded it to my sliders and it works great. Found it at Home Depot near their threaded rods and chains. Took a little searching but I found it. Watch out its pretty sharp stuff untill you prime/paint it. They sell it for use with like weber grills and stuff
Thanks Hearseman. I found those 2 by 2 sheets but I need a sheet at least 4 x 5 and it has to be a heavier gauge. The expanded metal I'm looking for is like what they use on some industrial stairs.

Les

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah, I called a couple of the big places that I found but they don't do retail, only commercial sales.
Les

Go to the closest one and do a "counter sale." Your there with money in hand and unless they are completely retarded in this economy you will get your expanded metal.

I walk into many of these "commercial only" busnisses all the time in a suit, they look at me strange but I always walk out with product!

Word of caution its not cheap.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Les
Try going back to these plases and asking if any of their customers sell retail, worth a shot. If you are welding it is not hard to put two smaller sheets together to make a bigger piece.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you want to buy small quantitys of all metals go to metals depot .com I have used them in the past. They can hook you up no hassle with just the amount you need.:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great idea guys. I'll definitely get on the phone Monday and cross my fingers that one of the places will sell me a piece.

Les

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally picked up the expanded metal and finished my basket insert. Happy with results.

Les

·
Registered
493 Posts
Did you build it yourself?
I want one like that. Nice work!

KyFJGuy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts