Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Expedition One or Viper rear swing-out bumper?

I am looking to buy a rear bumper this weekend. I am currently between the Viper and the Expedition One swing-outs. I am currently have a Pelfreybilt (I know there is a lot of hate out there for this company) front bumper and was planning to get their rear bumper but as you know this is impossible. I am looking for any opinions on these bumpers based on personal experience, everything from installation, durability, to the quality of swing-out or the powder-coat. I have also tried to see which one would match up best to the front bumper. The price the Viper is a little more but with the 20% sale it is about the same price as the Expedition One. I really like Demello and Metal Tech rear swing-outs but they are just crazy $$$$. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Have not heard of the viper rear swing out bumper. If you go with the Exp1 make sure to get an o-ring for the spindle cap.
Exp1 does not give you the o-ring for the aluminum cap for the spindle. NAPA part #727-2040 .

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
There are probably 10X more EXP 1 bumpers out there the VPR, just from the bubble I've seen. I've never heard of VPR but almost everybody has the EXP 1. Its definitely quality, I don't think you could go wrong with the EXP 1.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Just a FWIW you are looking at a 14-16 week wait for the EXP 1

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just a FWIW you are looking at a 14-16 week wait for the EXP 1
I'm currently in the midst of the wait for one myself. They're very good about updates if you ask and have their production process broken into different stages for ease of communication. If I have to wait 10+ weeks for something, I'm happy to be doing it with them.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
What we need is some small Custom fab shop in the middle of nowhere like Kansas for example . To come up with some bumper wings to go along with a high clearance bumper .

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
What we need is some small Custom fab shop in the middle of nowhere like Kansas for example . To come up with some bumper wings to go along with a high clearance bumper .
Didn't know anyone other than Deb and I could run them. :browsmiley:

Sorry for the thread hijack OP.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all, for the advice and commentary. Honestly, the best advice was how Expedition One handles the wait time. The wait was kind of putting me on the fence about their swing-out. I am going to go with Expedition One.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts