Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Expedition One has been doing it's thing for about 3 years now.
I LOVE the front bumper but the instructions need a revision. Please.

It's up to the customer to cobble together hints from a PDF file and a you tube video. Neither are complete on thier own.

Example 1) Triangle bottom sheet metal bracket. If you follow the instructions you will glide right by the fact it belongs on the 3 posts. Its not mentioned anywhere. The you tube video does mention these and the correct orientation.

Example 2) Squeaky air conditioner radiator bolt? Fine, just don't make us search a forum for the problem after the fact. Own up to it in the instructions, maybe toss in a piece of rubber?

Example 3) The skid plate. Neither the video or the instructions lead you to the only possible way of mounting this, which is not only removing the skid plate but "whatever the curved bars are called" under that. The plate must sandwich between those and the frame to have a prayer of mounting properly. It looks like it was designed to try and line up with factory skid hooks but it's not even close to lining up on my 2010. The exp skid would cover the factory skid plate holes if you just pop it on there like the video says you can.

Have some one spend an hour to create some real instructions and save the customer potential hours and hours combined. Even my windshield wiper tank instructions were created by a forum member here. Those look great! I will know for sure when they ship me the mounting bracket missing from my kit.

Great product, just needs some quality control.
(end mild rant)

Bonus question... the 4" bolt that requires you drill through your frame... how important are those? It seems pretty super secure without them, but maybe someone here knows what magic support they lend?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
just a bit of info for those with questions on the bolt he mentioned in the bonus round:

Per the folks at Ex 1:

"About the frame bolt. If you are only using a 8-9000 lb winch, you really won't need that bolt, and can leave it out. We are considering removing that from the general instructions and kit. If you have a larger winch, then they should drill the hole and install the bolt."

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a bit of info for those with questions on the bolt he mentioned in the bonus round:

Per the folks at Ex 1:

"About the frame bolt. If you are only using a 8-9000 lb winch, you really won't need that bolt, and can leave it out. We are considering removing that from the general instructions and kit. If you have a larger winch, then they should drill the hole and install the bolt."
Good Info!
Thanks Brutus :cheers:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some extra pictures to make an attempt at explaining #3 to others:

This shows the curved bars I am talking about that had to be dropped down to fit the skid plate. After getting these loose at the front, I was able to "sandwich" the exp1 skid in there.

Since I have been too lazy to pick up a dremel tool... this shows the bent hangers from the factory skid waiting to be cut off.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Good Info!
Thanks Brutus :cheers:
x2

thank you Brutus and ETM both for the helpful insight/information. my new E1 front and rear-with-tire-carrier are at the powder coater's now getting properly prepared for winter in the northeastern US, and this information's going to come in handy when i get them back. if i decide i'm even brave (and strong) enough to install them myself. :slant:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Concur. I felt like Sherlock Holmes pilfering through the Internet for better directions.

The 4" bolt takes all off five minutes a side to install. May be prudent, but I installed for 12k winch.

I could do another in 1/5 the time, though. Anyone in OK, hit me up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well with a Diamond E1 bumper in transit to my house, this doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about what lies ahead :)

Perhaps I should load it up and head for OK!

Thanks for the info in advance and feel free to keep posting the "need to know" supplemental information.

For the money I paid for the bumper, I will have them on the phone for as long as it takes to do it right. Perhaps the PITA time with me will make improved instructions a priority. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
^^^^ I will be ordering a Kodiak this week... Also in Colorado, I have a ton of frequent flyer points, maybe Chris wants to come to Denver for a long weekend we could do lifts, and bumpers! I got room and a dedicated beer fridge :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Spent half a day underneath my FJ, so anything that doesn't require looking up, sounds good to me. Haven't been to CO in a while.

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1317086179.883722.jpg

Fortunately, utilized a buddies/ local garages lift.

One thing I kick myself for doing, because I never saw explicit instructions about, is I removed the small plastic OEM bumper corners that attach to the front of the fender flares.

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1317086441.740476.jpg

My unsolicited advice. If installing a winch, do it before installing the bumper, and have a buddy help lift it on, use a jack, (I did it myself.....) to position bumper. I installed the winch after the bumper and it's a PITA.

If you don't have your winch yet, and want the bumper on, like I did, it's doable, just easier if you have little hands. I don't, so it sucked.

If doing the rear, put the light power leads on before installing. I didn't and will have to remove the bumper.

Y'all have the benefit of a plethora of members who recently installed, so post up the questions, I'm sure they'll be answered.

Then, bloody knuckles and all, get to smile at this.

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1317086815.726157.jpg

Since you did it yourself, and didn't write the check to have it done.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Getting mine tomorrow and this doesn't reassure me... I hope my mechanic figures this out. Pisses me off when you pay big $$ and you get incomplete instructions......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Word on the incomplete (and even somewhat contradictory) instructions. I, too, toggled between the paper instructions, the PDF, and the YouTube video. Then, I had to try to explain it all to my body shop. (Don't hate me for this... I got my Exp. 1 bumper free, with install, by getting my front end hit and the OEM bumper trashed by some loser who ran a red light. I had my shop just subsitute the Exp. 1 bumper instead of ordering the OEM replacement parts, and we charged it all to my insurance company. The funny thing was, I always hated the OEM bumper, and a week before this happened, I told my girlfriend that I hoped someone hit me soon so I could get a free new bumper. Wishes come true, folks! Now I'm hoping for someone to rear end me so I can lose the rear POS, too!)

·
Registered
89 Posts
^^^^ I will be ordering a Kodiak this week... Also in Colorado, I have a ton of frequent flyer points, maybe Chris wants to come to Denver for a long weekend we could do lifts, and bumpers! I got room and a dedicated beer fridge :cheers:
@liddown Great idea, I also have an ICON stage 6 setup on its way. No matter how good the instructions are for that set up, I know I will need help, or will be finding a shop to do it.

I also see you are in Castle Pines...me too! We'll have to pow wow some time.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
just spent the day with James and his E1 family in Ogden, Utah. These are really nice people. Oh, and by the way, he installed my new front bumper. I couldn't be happier with the way it looks.

E1 is exactly the kind of small business, highlighting American ingenuity, that will help us out of the this terrible economic funk that we find ourselves in. I dropped a bundle on this bumper with PIAA lights but it was money well spent.

I see that many have questions about installation. I can tell you that E1 is in the process of filming new installation videos. I do not want to embarrass James and E1 but they are so much more than just a business. They have donated equipment to some of our special forces teams in Afghanistan and are involved in other charitable endeavors as well as some new exciting projects.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree on how great their company is. Very good people and product. Glad to hear they are working on new instructions!

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
My buddy and I had zero problem installing the Diamond bumper on my 2012 FJ. Granted, we've wrenched on a LOT of cars over the years but this is still something anyone with a pair of opposable thumbs and half a brain can do with minimal fuss.

If installing a bumper damages your calm, God help you if you ever break something out on the trail and have to figure out an on-the-spot fix to get you back home.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
For clarification. Expedition One has been one of my favorite purchases and purchasing experience, and by no means was I inferring otherwise.

I concurred with post regarding the many sources required for installation, and to be honest, the front wasn't difficult, just a threw a learning curve.

I've trail tested and frontal impact tested (deer), unscathed, since installing.

More unsolicited advice.

When considering the ExpO rear bumper, get the swingout.

I've regretted not, and the addition is in the future.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
just spent the day with James and his E1 family in Ogden, Utah. These are really nice people. Oh, and by the way, he installed my new front bumper. I couldn't be happier with the way it looks.

E1 is exactly the kind of small business, highlighting American ingenuity, that will help us out of the this terrible economic funk that we find ourselves in. I dropped a bundle on this bumper with PIAA lights but it was money well spent.

I see that many have questions about installation. I can tell you that E1 is in the process of filming new installation videos. I do not want to embarrass James and E1 but they are so much more than just a business. They have donated equipment to some of our special forces teams in Afghanistan and are involved in other charitable endeavors as well as some new exciting projects.

Damn....you came all the way from FLA to have your bumper installed?? I had to drive about 75 miles to his shop when we installed mine. :)

I know you didn't come all the way to Utah just for a bumper :lol:....on a road trip here out West?

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I can tell you that E1 is in the process of filming new installation videos.
i'm glad to read that; i hope they'll see fit to produce some clear and complete print instructions as well, as installation videos, while great and helpful (provided they're well-made), are not the most convenient quick reference for someone standing in his driveway with a 120-pound bumper in one hand and a wrench in the other. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to the forum! Been following for a while now. I too am in the market for the EXP-one bumper and have heard nothing but great things! OME 3" 885/895 lift sitting in my living room as a reminder to my wife that there is plenty of love to go around! The lift is getting installed next Thursday, pics to come as well

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I don't know if these are the "new" instruction, i.e. revised or the old ones, i have not checked in my box yet. Here is what i got from Exp1

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts