Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 333 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
1) The welds on the top of the rear crossmember sometimes stick up and need to be ground down a little.
2) Check, double check and triple check your plastic cutting path on those rear plastic corners.
3) DON'T jigsaw into your fingers !

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Just in case anybody has changed their mind about their bumper, I'm looking to buy one. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
FJ has her new smile!!

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

*Special thanks to GregF and Fingaz in Houston for all their help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Did anyone else NOT get the silver oval shaped piece (fair lead??) that bolts on where the winch lead comes out?? I say someone else posted pics and did not have that piece on either. Mine didn't have one in the box!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
NICE!!! The aluminum hawse has to be ordered separately. I think it runs around $55.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Or free with the winch!

I ordered front, rear, sliders, and winch from them. Got a great deal on the whole package. Was suppose to ship April 4, but some web site did a group buy and now my order is pushed back for easier bumpers to be made first! :lol:

Looking good guys, can't wait to put up my pix

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Looking for general consensus on front and rear 4" lights. Did any of y'all order the lights from Exp One? I wound up ordering the more economical Halo's and am rethinking. Does anyone plan on using rears as reverse lights? Fronts as driving?
I only have rear bumper on, as of yet, with lights mounted, not wired. Probably could've done without the 4" lights, altogether, but have the holes. Something's got to fill them.

Curious the functionality of y'alls installs.

Chris Delancy

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got the PIAA driving lights with my bumper. They seemed to work very well in the fog and rain this past weekend at the Northeaster's run.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have HID projectors for the front holes, and ordered their halo lights for the rear.

I already have a light bar on the rear roof rack so I'm going to tap these into the back up lights, halos as well.
I installed them before for a customer and they are barely noticeable! Not like the CCFL halos.

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
I have the halo lights in my front bumper. I just used them all weekend at the FJ Northeasters run and they did great in the fog! Not a bad light for the price :)
By driving lights, pardon my stupidity, but are the Halo's and lights on with DRL's, headlights only, or bright lights only? I know that driving lights are typically on with headlights, so are the Halo's on with DRL's, or are they on constantly? I didn't realize they were Halo's when I bought. I don't really want to wire the Halo portion to be on separately.

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
I have HID projectors for the front holes, and ordered their halo lights for the rear.

I already have a light bar on the rear roof rack so I'm going to tap these into the back up lights, halos as well.
I installed them before for a customer and they are barely noticeable! Not like the CCFL halos.
I'd like for them to be reverse lights and, eventually, would like to add rack reverse lights, as well. Is there a way to wire relay into the rear wiring harness, or does power and relay have to come from front?

·
Registered
970 Posts
My rear lights a wired in the front kick panel with all my other relays and switches on the dash. I don't think there is enough juice in the back to power whatever your taping into and run more than 2 bulbs.
But I have seen some people tap lights into the rear outlet so when you push the button for the power outlet, the rear lights came on. ... But I didn't see them at night to see if there was any dimming.

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
My rear lights a wired in the front kick panel with all my other relays and switches on the dash. I don't think there is enough juice in the back to power whatever your taping into and run more than 2 bulbs.
But I have seen some people tap lights into the rear outlet so when you push the button for the power outlet, the rear lights came on. ... But I didn't see them at night to see if there was any dimming.
Seen a couple of "how to's" on, just wish I could wire for rear rack lights, as well. Just not sure what I'll be using. Assuming the Halo and light can be wired as one, will follow suit and install correctly. Not my forte, but I'll have to figure it out sometime. Just hate to do twice. Already had headliner down once, would've been a good time to prep rack lights.

Chris Delancy

·
Registered
970 Posts
You can see my set up in my build thread, in my signature.

The "halos" are just an "EL wire", you can tap them to the same wires for the bulb and run them all together. That way they only come on when the bulb comes on. Not sure what your local state law is for rear facing white lights for running lights, even if they are weak, I don't want to take a chance.

My big experiment is to see how well I can pull these apart and replace with a red EL wire, to run to the brake lights. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Will post in another portion, as well, but figured start here. Installed front today, but having an issue mating Exp One skid plate (filler plate) to Budbuilt skid plate. No way it'll work without fabrication that I can see. Has anyone crossed this bridge yet? Ideas?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Will post in another portion, as well, but figured start here. Installed front today, but having an issue mating Exp One skid plate (filler plate) to Budbuilt skid plate. No way it'll work without fabrication that I can see. Has anyone crossed this bridge yet? Ideas?
I hesitate to add on to a group buy thread, but I will send you here to see gripe #3: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/expedition-one/126397-expedition-one-front-bumper-install-instructions-need-some-serious-help.html

I will try and snap a couple pictures to help clarify (over in the other thread)since I have no idea what the particular frame pieces are called by name.

·
fka luvshisfj
2,865 Posts
Some how I misplaced my Instructions.....and I know there are a few "how to" threads for the Rear bumper but I would like a set of instructions anyway! can anyone scan then email them to me?

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
What your email address? Exp one emailed to me, can forward.

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
I hesitate to add on to a group buy thread, but I will send you here to see gripe #3: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tall-instructions-need-some-serious-help.html

I will try and snap a couple pictures to help clarify (over in the other thread)since I have no idea what the particular frame pieces are called by name.
Thank you for link and pic, but I don't have the curved bars at all. I didn't have even when factory skid was on. In looking at, the Budbuilt skid bolts back into same location as OEM tin. Even if there wasn't a return on the Budbuilt, this wouldn't fit with OEM skid. At least not an '08.

281 - 300 of 333 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.