301 - 320 of 333 Posts

·
fka luvshisfj
2,865 Posts
PM sent Chris

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Replied Pm. Email sent. Did from iPhone. Sone kinda bug has got it's grips on me. If they don't open, let me know and I'll resend in morning.

What year FJ do you have? Are the factory tow hooks exposed on yours?

·
fka luvshisfj
2,865 Posts
Thanks Chris, I'll check it out and let you know..
My FJ is an 08 and yes the tow hooks are exposed.

Replied Pm. Email sent. Did from iPhone. Sone kinda bug has got it's grips on me. If they don't open, let me know and I'll resend in morning.

What year FJ do you have? Are the factory tow hooks exposed on yours?

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Sliders, Front Bumper and Winch installed...

...got the lights in too after I took the pic. Tomorrow ill start on the Swingout Rear!
Did you install Halo's in front?

·
Registered
970 Posts
The smaller lights make it easier for me to angle the projectors! and the halos are CCFL.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

My new weapon of choice!
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Rear took a bit longer than I expected...

Also not paying attention when I came out of the bay, I struck the wall...

...No damage other than some touch up paint!

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Rear took a bit longer than I expected...
Good to see at least one rear w/ swingout has shipped... hopefully mine will not be too far behind!!!

Looks great:rocker: and you got the the first scratch out of the way!:rofl:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey guys (specifically those who have installed the rear exp-1). Do you have any close up pics of the rear bumper where it wraps around the quarter panel? I just had mine installed and there's about an inch of space between the bumper and the plastic fender. Wondering if it was installed incorrectly, or if that's how they sit? Any help/pics would be greatly appreciated!! :cheers: Sorry for the dark pics, its the best I could get right now... Pretty sure it was installed wrong!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I still want one of those old school 4 wheel drive badges from the FJ40 days. Wish I would have thought to take it before I buried mine.

I have the hub/horn button from the steering wheel but I can't exactly mount that in the FJ Cruiser lol

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Hey guys (specifically those who have installed the rear exp-1). Do you have any close up pics of the rear bumper where it wraps around the quarter panel? I just had mine installed and there's about an inch of space between the bumper and the plastic fender. Wondering if it was installed incorrectly, or if that's how they sit? Any help/pics would be greatly appreciated!! :cheers: Sorry for the dark pics, its the best I could get right now... Pretty sure it was installed wrong!

Looks like same reveal I wound up with. At first, I bolted lower bumper to lower frame, then pushed up, to narrow gap, then tighten the other 8 bolts at mounting plates. It was a tight fit, and looked better, but somewhere it was too tight, and squeaked. Slowly increased the distance between, until it didn't squeak, and what you have is what I wound with is a tighter fit at the back where it meets. At first, I couldn't deal with it, and kept trying to find a solution to eliminate noise, and narrow gap. After two weeks, I don't hardly notice. My attention is more focused on the front. Ha. The radius on the inside of bumper top plate flares out more than the plastic behind, creating more if a gap. After searching through threads here, found that be normal. Allows for flexing.

Chris Delancy

·
Premium Member
479 Posts

You look about right on that. They design in some gap for the body flex in the off road environment. I think mine might be a but closer but not my much. I'll post up a pic or two when I get to a computer.. I'm using the iPhone app at the moment and I don't know how to do pics on it.

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Since I can't figure out how to post pics, do in separate. One shows the rear bumper reveal as close as I could get without noise. Hope this helps. If you bolt to lower frame first, can "roll" the top of bumper closer, then bolt.

While I'm here, and all pics are posted. One show the metal tab spun around, in what I'm assuming is the location for the 4" through frame bolts. Sound correct to y'all?

Also, still seeking verified input on winch that'll mount below winch cover plate, even if plate has to be removed fir occasional use.

Input on the two plastic OEM brackets that were what front bumper skins were attached to, did you leave on, or remove?

And, what lights, other than Halo's is anyone mounting in front bumper. Are 4" Piaa's with cover sufficient to fill the hole? I know this sounds stupid, but the 4" Halo's aren't large enough to fill, and I'm returning for the Piaa's, but not real sure what size.

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Sorry,

And wouldn't it be prudent to remove the oem tow hooks? I'm thinking about removing and re fabbing the filler panel provided be Exp one to cover the exposed hooks (after removal) to the inside of their outer mounting brackets. Have to somehow get the mating point to budbuilts bolted, anyhow. Advise? Input?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for your help/input guys! Looks like there's a little more space on mine that I an get rid of! Time to bust out the tools!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hey Bro that tap with the nut affixed to it is suppose to be inside that frame, threw that frame hole! It's step one in the brace instructions.
Take everything off. Only put the bolt a few turns into the tab, then feed the tap into the frame hole. Install the other bolts and retighten everything!
:cheers:

And yes the rear leaves room for flex, you might wanna pull your whole bumper back about 1/4 in from the rear body, to prevent damage. I used some #2 pencils to leave the gap in the rear when I bolted everything up. : bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Hey Bro that tap with the nut affixed to it is suppose to be inside that frame, threw that frame hole! It's step one in the brace instructions.
Take everything off. Only put the bolt a few turns into the tab, then feed the tap into the frame hole. Install the other bolts and retighten everything!
:cheers:

And yes the rear leaves room for flex, you might wanna pull your whole bumper back about 1/4 in from the rear body, to prevent damage. I used some #2 pencils to leave the gap in the rear when I bolted everything up. : bigthumb:

The tab I spun around to high light for pic, but I had assumed this was the location for the 4" through the frame bolt, for use with 12k bumper winch. I have intention of putting the 4" bolt in, just drilling through the frame, didn't want hassle of trying to get tab out after completed. That all being said, do you agree this is the correct location for the 4" bolt? Also, on your Halo's, are they on a fog switch or drl circuit?

301 - 320 of 333 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.