Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, here’s a press release on Expedition One’s newest FJ Cruiser product.

We decided to come up with the ultimate in function and quality when it came to designing our lower links. After much research, we came up with a configuration that offers ultimate performance in the off-road arena, retains good ride quality on and off-road, and is long lasting and rebuildable.

The main body of the Expedition One lower control arm links are 1.5"x0.25wall DOM tubing. The frame side mount is comprised of a greasable urethane bushing to retain stock ride comfort. For the axle side, we use the innovative Jimmy Joint.
The Jimmy Joint is the first rebuildable joint to perform like a heim joint. The high misalignment design provides 60 degrees of total misalignment. That’s more misalignment than many other joints when they are combined. The Jimmy Joint is extremely durable. Each body is machined from a solid piece of heat treated 4140 steel. They are then plated with black zinc for superior corrosion resistance and a unique look. The pivot ball is machined from 303 stainless steel and carefully inspected for proper size and roundness. Races are precision molded from bearing grade Nylatron® GS. Jimmy joints have been used for years in the hard-core rock crawling circuit, and have done time in the Baja 1000 as well.

Our links also retain the stock galvanized bolts, and are available bare or powder coated black.... Custom colors are available as well
Price Bare: 429.95
Price including powder coat: 459.95
Shipping is Scheduled to begins in 3 weeks…

JIMMY JOINT PICS:

Bushing End:

Lower Links:

enjoy

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Very very nice!

Would it be possible to align the grease fitting on the jimmy joint with the hole in the upper side of the rear axle bracket?

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I know Jimmy Joint has a greasable bolt option. I believe the greasable bolt is cross drilled to allow the greas to flow out of the bolt and into the bushing. Have you looked at that instead of the zerk fitting that is hard to get to?

·
Vendor
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know Jimmy Joint has a greasable bolt option. I believe the greasable bolt is cross drilled to allow the greas to flow out of the bolt and into the bushing. Have you looked at that instead of the zerk fitting that is hard to get to?

I'll ask them about that today and see if that is a better option....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question?.....
If radial movement is what you are achieving and limiting to 60 degrees with the jimmy joint there would be no limit if you let the thread that connects the control arm to the connecting member on the diff. swivel. Hope I said that right.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If radial movement is what you are achieving and limiting to 60 degrees with the jimmy joint there would be no limit if you let the thread that connects the control arm to the connecting member on the diff. swivel. Hope I said that right.
Everything has a tolerance. A thread that is allowed to move radially will also move slightly longitudinally (or whatever the proper geeky tech term is). That would trash the threads very quickly, I think. You could move to a tapered bearing of some sort, but the cost would be too high (probably). I'm mostly talking out my butt right now, but that's what came to mind.

Btw...I like these links. Good job.

·
Vendor
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 Bored Clerk Pretty much has it right, though I know of several companies that do use that type of set up but the majority of them do not last very long. There are ways to make them last longer, but the big issue is the movement that happens with the axle. Not only does it twist but it does move side to side at the same time.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
very nice... when is production or shipping starting

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
any luck on the relocation the the grease fitting?

thanks

Quote:
Briareos previously said:
Very very nice!

Would it be possible to align the grease fitting on the jimmy joint with the hole in the upper side of the rear axle bracket?

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
SCHWEET!!! A Little on the pricey side, but schweet nun the less!!

·
Vendor
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
any luck on the relocation the the grease fitting?

thanks

Quote:
Briareos previously said:
Very very nice!

Thanks,
Shawn

I should find out tomorrow. The manufacture of the joints has been out of town all last week and just got in this week...

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
cool, thanks for the reply...

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Any word on this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts