Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 102 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just thought I'd also toss up some pictures of the RTT load bars after they have been hard anodized. I work for a custom machining operation and we have a state of the art Mil-spec hard anodizing setup. Running the aluminum through the hard anodizing process makes it much more durable and adds a super thin layer of incredible hard and abrasion resistant oxide (when comparing it to just raw aluminum). It's a very interesting process and it really is quite incredible how much more scratch resistant it makes aluminum!

Of course these bars are basically prototypes and if no one else ends up wanting to run them I'm totally ok with that. But if someone did end up purchasing these they would come out much better. The weld on the top side of the load bar has to be ground down and I didn't have the time before I headed off on the next trip to properly blend all the grind marks in with a finer grit sand paper. That's why the bars look a bit inconsistent color wise next to the brackets.

Also I'm just running a Tepui Kukenam tent and with the ExpOne load bars I have setup I was only able to get a total of 6 bolts on to hold the tent down. 2 in the front and 4 in the back. There's just zero room in the front to get my arm underneath the tent with the current setup I have going on with the load bars. I have no doubt that 6 bolts will be plenty to hold the tent on, I'm sure 4 would even be fine. I could get the back two bolts in on the front bar if I had my load bars setup slightly different though. I'm really not sure how these bars would work if you had a full length RTT that was the pop up kind and how you would get the bolts on to hold the tent down.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm going to be making a set of awning mounts for vudoo, would be happy to make you a set as well. I told him $100 shipped for a raw set of brackets. I had mine powder coated but in the end I feel that's not really necessary and with the super duper small one off volume these will be made in there's just no point waiting for them to get powder coated when rattle can paint will protect them just fine.

For the TRED's I'd say your best option is to get a set of their mounting pins and just bolt them down to the load bars. Since you don't plan on running a tent you'll have plenty of room on the rack to make that work. I've discovered that you can take off all of the load bars if with the rack mounted on the roof without too much trouble. So popping a couple of the load bars off and drilling a few holes in them to mount the TRED plates would be the way I'd go about it.
$100 is very fair for the brackets. I'm torn between the Sunseeker and the Batwing awning. Occasional 4 wheeling trips and also for shade when I take my motorcycle to the racetrack for track days. Tired of wrestling with a 12 ft pop up canopy by myself.

I did buy the Tred mounting bracket, so may just drill it into the load bars. Your fabrication work is really nice!

101 - 102 of 102 Posts