Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Expedition One Mule Expedition Ultra Rack

28K views 101 replies 28 participants last post by  Desmopilot 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

We're finally ready to share our new Mule Expedition Ultra roof rack which we hope to release here in the coming weeks.

Below are some early prototype test fitting photos that we wanted to share with you all along with a few 4Runner photos to show how it would look in a more finalized fashion.

• We're estimating the cost of the roof rack (powder coated) to be around the same as our 4Runner - $999.99 to $1199.99
  • All-aluminum construction
  • Flat load cross bars
  • Recommended static weight: no more than 500lbs, dynamic weight we recommend no more than 300lbs evenly distributed while driving
  • The front fascia should fit up to a 40" led light bar
  • We'll have both normal load cross bars and cross bars designed specifically for roof top tents

We also wanted to find out how much interest there would be for a group buy discount here in the next week or two?

As always, we appreciate all the support you guys have given us over the years. :cheers:

Our 4Runner version for comparison

Shot of the load bar system (photo of our Tundra rack)

See less See more
#15 · (Edited)
Will it use the existing roof mounting holes or does it need new holes to be made ?

#20 ·
I want to get in on this group buy but I want to get in on the dual swingout bumper group buy first but before that I need to get a lift kit. Haha! #firstworldproblems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Updated photos with the mounts brackets installed with the roof rack. *kudos points if you spot Chris!

Don’t mean to be greedy but can you post a shot of the rack from the front? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Any info about the RTT cross bar?
do we mount the RTT on the side rail? or you haven't show us the special cross bar yet?

OCD question:
The top of the led bar opening appears to be curving upward. saw the FJ front one, but i still want to ask
Here is a quick photo during the prototype testing of what the RTT load bar will look like. It essentially mounts to the bottom of any RTT and is placed onto the roof rack. A quick and easy way to mount your RTT

The top of the light bar cutout is slightly curved in line with each vehicle application, yes

#32 ·
I never was into roof racks, but now i am debating it... Damn you Exp1 :D

#33 ·
That looks great! Have you tried it out in the highway, I’m curious how it is affected by wind at higher speed? This is the nicest looking/functional roof rack I’ve seen. I can’t afford one right now[emoji17], but this would be a rack I would want to buy at some point. Nice work guys, and thank you for keeping the FJC in mind when designing new products. I hope you sell a pile of these[emoji1417][emoji1417]

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

#36 ·
If you can deliver it in the price range mentioned on the first page, I think you will have a winner. Looks similar to the ill-fated but much loved All Pro Roof Rack. I like how it mounts to the shape of the roofline. Hopefully that will keep wind noise down.

Maybe I missed it, but can you show some close up photos of how it mounts to the existing roof mounts and a bit close on the crossbars. I think people would be interested to begin seeing/thinking about how to mount accessories, fuel tanks, ski racks, snow board racks, etc to the crossbars.

#40 ·
Here's a close up of the load bar area.

We also have some mounting pieces that work with this system that we aren't quite ready to share just yet. However it should give you a good look at the internal area

Also is a shot of James, owner of Expedition One standing on the 4Runner rack ;)

#37 · (Edited)
more questions:

If I were to go to home depot to buy some 4x8 plywood, how would I mount it on top? just lots of ratchet straps? btw, do you have a rough dimension (want to see how much of a 4x8 will stick out)

You've mention static load is 500lb, what if I need to "walk" or crawl on the roof to wash or access stuff? is the crossbar going to hold? Maybe I will need to lose some weight myself...

Does it come pre-assembled? or we will need to bolt/rivet ourselves?

#52 ·
Well, shoot, then maybe I will have to wait on my lift kit! LOL!

#54 ·
I am curious about the rear oval cut-outs.
Are these able to take a standard size LED flush mount stop/turn lights? And if so what brand/vendor LED supplier item number would you recommend for proper fit?:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.