Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in purchasing / installing the Expedition One Trail Series rear bumper with the swing-out tire carrier, I've written a very detailed article with instructions and lots of photos to assist. Check out the link below for more details:

Expedition One Trail Series Rear Bumper Review

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Very much appreciated. Tire carrier, integrated opening with the back door, uses the OEM hitch and backup sensors... The rear bumper of my dreams.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great writeup!

I'm surprised they still haven't changed their design to eliminate the massive gaps on either quarter panel plastic area.
Thanks. Yeah, I think the bumper overall is great. But I was a little disappointed that they gapped the outer edges as much as they did. The original photos that Capt Rick posted (below) made things look a lot tighter. I guess EO widened the gap to account for variances in the FJs themselves. They indicated that in testing, the bumper was hitting the body during flex which doesn't make a lot of sense to me because it would only be hitting the plastic pieces at the outer portion which I could care less about.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might have been covered, but with the tire rack, can you still open the rear window?
Thanx guys
It probably depends on what size tire you plan to run. I run 33x12.5x17 Interco TrXus MTs and my rear window clears no problem. Expedition One lined up their swing arm intentionally so that the tire was centered under the rear window and I know their swing arm was designed to fit up to a 40" tire. But I suspect that once you get larger than a 35" tire, you might run into an issue getting the rear window to clear.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanx BoxOnWheels,
I was more worried about the actual arm, as it looks kinda close to your window in the pix, but if it clears that's great! I was gonna try to mod my old drop bracket to get a lil more of a view out the back window from my 35's!

The actual tire mount part (that slides into the sleeve) is flat correct? It doesn't have the lil tire hang lip like the factory tire mount? Or if you had one more pic with the tire off that would be great too ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you referring to the lip as seen below?

Aside from the three lugs used to mount the wheel, the outer sleeve portion that your spare attaches to is completely flat. No lips to worry about. I looked for a better picture but I don't have anything that shows it up close. Next time I rotate I'll see if I can't snap a shot and add it to the article.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If anyone is interested in purchasing / installing the Expedition One Trail Series rear bumper with the swing-out tire carrier, I've written a very detailed article with instructions and lots of photos to assist. Check out the link below for more details:

Expedition One Trail Series Rear Bumper Review

Cheers,

Jeff
Good write up, but if you ground down your shackles....THROW THEM AWAY RIGHT NOW. You have compromised their integrity. I would also recommend that you edit the article, so others do not do the same thing. Different makes and sizes of shackles should fit. I would ask EX1 for a recommendation.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good write up, but if you ground down your shackles....THROW THEM AWAY RIGHT NOW. You have compromised their integrity. I would also recommend that you edit the article, so others do not do the same thing. Different makes and sizes of shackles should fit. I would ask EX1 for a recommendation.
Thanks for the recommendation. I guess I should clarify my use of the term "grind down". In my case, the amount of grinding required to make the shackles fit was extremely minimal - probably less than 1/64". It was a matter of working over some of the surface area that was binding with the powder-coating on the plate portion of the bumper. Nothing major but just enough to keep the shackle from rotating in the D-ring. I still believe that Expedition One should fix this issue though as I tried three separate brands of shackles and all of them had similar fitment issues.

I would agree with you in that excessive grinding will weaken the shackle and reduce the shackle's integrity and working load limit rating. So I will look at adding a small note to the article so others are also aware of the potential dangers.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
297 Posts
What's the weight of that bumper? (minus the tire of course)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I guess I should clarify my use of the term "grind down". In my case, the amount of grinding required to make the shackles fit was extremely minimal - probably less than 1/64". It was a matter of working over some of the surface area that was binding with the powder-coating on the plate portion of the bumper. Nothing major but just enough to keep the shackle from rotating in the D-ring. I still believe that Expedition One should fix this issue though as I tried three separate brands of shackles and all of them had similar fitment issues.

I would agree with you in that excessive grinding will weaken the shackle and reduce the shackle's integrity and working load limit rating. So I will look at adding a small note to the article so others are also aware of the potential dangers.

Cheers,

Jeff
Thanks for the explanation. Practically, I am sure the little that you did is fine (probably on a casting seam) but technically, it would still not pass the rigging examinations and certifications I deal with on a daily basis. I once saw shackles that had a company's name engraved on them, and we were not able to use them unless a waiver was signed. Instead they threw them out and started fresh with new ones

I dont want to argue it.... I have seen it first hand, shackles fail, chains fail, steel rope fails, lawsuits filed, insurance claims filed, nobody ever wins.

This is why a visual inspection must be done every time you use a shackle or any other piece of recovery gear and should be replaced often

There are great forces involved in vehicle recovery, I would not want to risk it to a even slightly modified shackle or worn out piece of gear.

It would actually be safer to remove some of the material from the clevis tab attached to the bumper than the actual shackle itself. It is probably the powder coat that is slightly too thick at that point.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's the weight of that bumper? (minus the tire of course)
Sorry, Froader, I forgot to weight the bumper pieces before assembly. I would guess that the bumper and swing arm combined are between 125-150 pounds but you're probably better off contacting Expedition One directly to get a truly accurate number.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry, Froader, I forgot to weight the bumper pieces before assembly. I would guess that the bumper and swing arm combined are between 125-150 pounds but you're probably better off contacting Expedition One directly to get a truly accurate number.
Thanks for the estimate. If I spring for one, I'll definitely get the facts from Exp One. I do like their front bumper on my rig. They put out some quality work.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cheers,

Jeff
Thanks for the write up, but what is the benefit of the tire carrier over just the basic bumper without the carrier?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts