Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an FJ in late March and I *love* it. I just want to vent here so that I can get it out of my system and go back to loving the FJ.

I screwed myself by believing the Edmunds TMV. I thought I was actually getting a deal at $500 below MSRP, now I realized I overpaid $3000. Edmunds was still showing the TMV equal to the MSRP. My first hint was this forum, which I should have frequented a bit more before buying.

I just now decided to torture myself and send email to the same dealership, and got a quote for the exact vehicle for $2500 less. The difference this time was that I was aggressive in the email, made a point that I wouldn't come in until I got a number for an in-stock vehicle. I've never been able to get a real quote online before.

I hate buying cars. I think I'll blame the FJ for this, instead of myself. All my research was for a Jeep Wrangler. I test drove the FJ on my way to purchase a jeep, and just impulse bought it. I will punish the FJ now by withholding mods for... a week.

(note: this is just sarcasm. I know its my own fault. Don't flame me)

·
Banned
463 Posts
The TMV is an average of what everyone else pays. I used the Edmunds invoice and compared with a spreadsheet that I found on the forum and found that I got a lower price than the spreadsheet invoices. At least you bought the right vehicle. Just look at it this way, you would've spent $2500 in repairs on a Jeep at some point anyway :p.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It sucks to think of that money, but as long as you are enjoying the new vehicle, that's all that matters.

many members here bought the FJ when it was first introduced in March of 06at MSRP. So many of us paid the extra $4k as well.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Dude, don't beat yourself up. Like Tranman said I was one of the early buyers back in June '06 and the best I could do paying cash for the vehicle mind you was $500 off MSRP. OK, you can now stick your head back in the oven...fagetaboutit.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
The TMV is an average of what everyone else pays. I used the Edmunds invoice and compared with a spreadsheet that I found on the forum and found that I got a lower price than the spreadsheet invoices. At least you bought the right vehicle. Just look at it this way, you would've spent $2500 in repairs on a Jeep at some point anyway :p.
Yea, I agree. TMV is what the average "consumer" pays. I actually used the dealer invoice and went way under that to get mine.

Here's a suggestion for the OP or anyone else in a similar situation that might work depending upon the dealer. Why don't you take in your email, explain your frustration in a polite way, and then ask if they could cut you a break (dealer cost) on some upgrades? I actually got my dealer to do that for me even though I got a good price on my FJ (they screwed up some paperwork and didn't pay of the loan on my trade-in on time...) and I hit them up for a discount. That way, you get a good deal on some upgrades to make up for your cost gap, they have a satisfied customer, and lose very little in the process. Try it!

Buying a new vehicle does suck! Sometimes its best not to ask. You're not having buyers remorse are you? The FJ still rocks! :rocker:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad I vented here, these messages helped me get over it :)

Crotalus: good idea about asking for a deal on some upgrades, I'll attempt this.

No buyer's remorse, just dealership remorse :) The FJ has definitely not disappointed.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
the online portion of any stealership will generally give ya the best value.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I recently used Edmunds to determine the value of my used FJ. I bought my 07 FJ on March 29th 2006. In February 2008 I had 12,000 miles on it, an average of just over 6000 miles per year. Edmunds lists it as a high mileage vehicle and reduces the resale value accordingly.

I'm glad I vented here, these messages helped me get over it :)

Crotalus: good idea about asking for a deal on some upgrades, I'll attempt this.

No buyer's remorse, just dealership remorse :) The FJ has definitely not disappointed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts