Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
x2, and read the fine print, some only cover engine and drivetrain, which, with a Toyota, are unlikely to be an issue until 200+k miles

·
Vendor
56 Posts
I offer extended warranties on all the FJs we sell at Red Rock Motors (as long as they don't have mods on them). It really depends a lot on the warranty. Technically a warranty is a "service plan". The ones I sell are exclusionary service plans, meaning they cover everything bumper to bumper, unless specifically excluded (mods and aftermarket parts are generally excluded). So, short answer is if you are going to lift, modify, supercharge, add new head unit, etc., a warranty is probably not a good buy for you. If your car is stock and is going to stay that way, then it might be a good value. The ones I offer are generally $2200-2500 for 0 deductible and 84months/80,000 miles from the time of purchase. They are a pretty good product. FJs are super reliable, so that is why they are dirt cheap compared to other cars. Audi warranty would be 2x the cost and 1/2 the duration.....

Power train or other limited warranties-I am not a fan of and do not recommend. I think they are a great product for the warranty company and person selling it, but not a good product for the consumer. IMO....

·
Registered
11 Posts
For my sanity i purchased an extended warranty 100K or 6 yrs when i purchased my fj. From past experience with German cars these warranties do come in handy.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Funny that, back in the '60s and '70s, the German cars were the ones with the best quality. Italian, French and British cars had the charisma, but you paid for that with defects and failures.

Today, Japanese cars tend to have the best quality, but you buy the German cars for the character, and pay for it in defects and failures.

I bet the German cars didn't get worse, but the goalposts moved.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Who is trying to sell you an extended warranty? Or trying to buy from? I'm pretty sure all dealerships have gotten away from extended warranties and renaming them something else because by law a warranty is free and if they offer extending the warranty they can't charge for it because warranties are free. Perhaps the auto industry have lobbied to change this IDK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All dealers provide some sort of warranty in the form of existing warranty which can be remainder of original warranty, certified pre owned by manufacturer or third party company warranty.

·
Vendor
56 Posts
Who is trying to sell you an extended warranty? Or trying to buy from? I'm pretty sure all dealerships have gotten away from extended warranties and renaming them something else because by law a warranty is free and if they offer extending the warranty they can't charge for it because warranties are free. Perhaps the auto industry have lobbied to change this IDK.
Technically, all extended warranties are really "extended service plans". Everyone calls them an extended warranty, but in reality they are all insurance products that cover repairs based upon the coverage of plan. I think people refer to them as extended warranties because extended service plan is a mouthful and does not mean much to most people.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Just throwing this out there. I bought my FJ new Aug. 2006. It has 169,000 miles on it, It has many mods on it and As of now I would never have used an extended warrenty. Its a very sound vehicle and runs amazing. Spend your money on something else :) JMO

·
Registered
72 Posts
I purchased one at 14k miles- 10 yr 100k for about $1100 . Ill never use it knock on wood. That said, used the one on our 17 honda crv 4 times now- computer issues and crappy trim parts. Worth every penny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts