Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the same problem with my '08. At -20F it would not start at all. I tried cranking 12 times before the battery started (audible) to drain. I don't mean 12 cranks, but 12 attempts (key turns) involving roughly 6-9 cranks. Tried later at 12F and it started up after 3 tries.
It seems the lower the temp the more attempts before it finally starts.
I'm picking up my PM-1 today. We'll see if it makes a difference. Also getting a new MAF sensor.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Good battery, replace one thing at a time to see if that was your problem. I've been reading your other posts on different threads. Good Luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
The above is what makes me doubt you found the problem. I too believe that the issue is with the check-valve in the fuel pump or line. Long cranking times are most often due to depriming of the fuel line.

Long live carbs with 30 seconds worth of fuel after you've run outta gas :lol:
I did not want to say it but I am skeptical as well about the battery being a issue, It sounds like the OP had lots of power for the engine to crank over. I don't trust the dealer on this at all , I will be very surprised if there is any change in operation.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well you were all correct. Not the battery! The reason it started right up when we put the new one in is it hadn't been sitting longer than 20 mins. Back to the drawing board. How can I test the fuel issue? Toyota had it hooked up to their laptop and it wasn't throwing any codes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,238 Posts
There are test fittings on your fuel system. Hooking to the one downstream of the check valve, which I believe is in the tank, can tell you if your fuel delivery line is holding the correct pressure after you shut off your engine. As said before, if it is loosing pressure, long crank time will happen.

Never had this happen on my FJ, but this is common on my jeep.:)

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
Yup, best bet.

My bud had an issue with starting his Dakota and swore up'n down that whenever he'd fill it up with super, it'd start right afterwards. I refused to believe it. So I plumbed a mechanical gauge (via a braided steel line, tie-wrapped to the cowl of his windshield) to the fuel supply test port and let him drive around with it for a few days before he saw for himself that he wouldn't get pressure with low fuel in the tank.

Turns out that whenever his tank got down to around 1/4, his fuel pump wouldn't run well without the weight of the fuel above it pushing down on it and "helping out".

BTW, I don't suppose you've ever made a correlation between the truck not starting well and the tank level being low?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I believe It's also possible she could loose fuel rail pressure if one or more injectors is not shutting off tight. Jamey, have a friend watch your exhaust tail pipe when you go to start after sitting for a while. They will be looking for a puff of black smoke as soon as your truck starts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thank you. I will have someone check for smoke tomorrow. We unhooked the fuel pressure regulator hose and it starts perfectly. Even after sitting for hours. Is this an indication of a bad regulator or fuel pump?

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok I read all of this to see if anyone suggested the Crank position sensor. If you are having trouble starting and 20 mins later it fires up thats your issue. The symptoms are very specific. I am surprised that Toyota techs dont test this. Its is either Crank or Cam position sensor. there should be some tests you can run on them before replacement in the manual.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are test fittings on your fuel system. Hooking to the one downstream of the check valve, which I believe is in the tank, can tell you if your fuel delivery line is holding the correct pressure after you shut off your engine. As said before, if it is loosing pressure, long crank time will happen.

Never had this happen on my FJ, but this is common on my jeep.:)
x2.

You can monitor fuel pressure on some vehicles with a scan tool too which is a lot easier. Toyota doesnt make attaching a pressure gauge very easy. Since its not setting any trouble codes, i'm not sure that the fuel pressure would be monitored/be available via scan tool. If it was it'd probably set a code for "fuel pressure below threshold" or something. But its worth a try. If not, figure out how to attach a gauge to the fuel rail and monitor how long the pressure stays in the fuel system with the key off. If you dont have the equipment to do so, just take it to a shop. You'd likely be out $100 or so for an hours labor but you'll be able to fix it or cross one more thing off the list.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
^^^^ get a friend to help and watch the exhaust while starting or vice verse, there may not be a lot of smoke , your looking for any black smoke... Interesting about the FP regulator disconnect, did you happen to notice any fuel come from the line you disconnected or any come from the FPR. Just wondering have you had the truck scanned for Codes while looking for this problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yep! There's black smoke once it finally starts. Very visible since it's been snowing all morning. Crank position sensor or something else?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
^^^^ get a friend to help and watch the exhaust while starting or vice verse, there may not be a lot of smoke , your looking for any black smoke... Interesting about the FP regulator disconnect, did you happen to notice any fuel come from the line you disconnected or any come from the FPR. Just wondering have you had the truck scanned for Codes while looking for this problem.
I had it at Toyota and the laptop didn't find any issues. The battery tester showed my battery only had 542CCA and recommended a new battery so I bought one from them. I think there is maybe more they can do to diagnose more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Also when the FP regulator was unplugged which made it start immediately every time, there was no fuel coming out and the hose appeared to be dry.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts