Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 with 125k miles. Wondering what potential issues might be with idling engine with AC on for extended periods of time (8 - 12 hours). Have some potential scenarios where I might be sleeping in FJ in summer in high temps during day and want to see if this might be an option or if it's off the table because it might be bad for engine. Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance legends!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If you go to Saudi Arabia (Mecca/Medina/Dammam), you see land cruisers idling with police inside “sleeping” for 18-20 hours idling. The vehicles don’t move. They stay on with AC on, at “shift change” the people move, cars seem to remain in place

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Extended idling wasn't a good idea for carbureted vehicles, but computer controlled fuel injected vehicles can idle indefinitely without damage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess after the engine has been warmed up properly by driving for some time, so that everything is up to temperature, there shouldn't be a problem with a normal aspirated engine. Not sure if the engine is cold and it only idles, whether the engine gets up to temperature properly, not just the coolant, but the oil as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think the longest I've sat with the A/C on idling was about an hour and fifteen and popped the hood and propped it up a bit with a empty plastic water bottle so, the engine could dissipate heat a bit better and give the radiator fans a break or not run as much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not too sure about this one..... My gut feeling is an idiling engine is running with the minimum amount of gasoline to keep it running but also means with minimal oil pressure. Everyone I know that does a variation of this winds up with an engine tap noise and/or worn rings and the accompanying oil leakage/burning. IMO, Get a generator and an AC unit.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
My 2011 for five years, 4 days a week ran 12 to 14 hours a day non stop and no issues.
any engineer that designs an engine that destroys itself when idling needs to be castrated and then work for GM or Dodge, just my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts