Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Extended Toyota Warranty = :) Shameless Plug

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  moto-rama 
#1 ·
I just got the r.o. for the leaking Water Pump and transfer output shaft seal replacement, that would've been an 800 dollar owie...so I am now at least 400 ahead of the cost to add the 100,000 miles of additional factory coverage. (I purchased a certified used FJ in 2010, and have coverage until November of this year.

I was a Finance and Insurance Mgr at various dealerships for about 15 years, and would always advise customers that "you never want to be 'Customer B' when you are waiting for your car to be checked out at the dealership's service dept.

'Customer A' has factory coverage that is underwritten by Toyota and covers most all the drivetrain components, "Customer B" has to shell out whatever the cost may be for all repairs.

Sounds corny, but I want to say that as long as you don't pay too much for the Toyota extended coverage, it's generally a good bet that it will pay for itself.

Also want to plug Stone's Toyota in Rexburg, Idaho for being a great place to have your FJ serviced. The service rates are about half price , compared to any dealer in California. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and honest.

I may live in San Francisco, but find that a short 1000 mile trip to Idaho is worth it in terms of care for my FJ, and the trout are bigger.

:smile

OK, back to

See less See more
Reactions: NW FJC
#2 ·
everything is cheaper in Idaho....

#4 ·
My understanding is that you can purchase Toyota Extended Coverage at the time of purchase on any "Certified" used vehicle.
You may be able to buy it if you are still under the original factory warranty and you have completed all the service as required. Call a dealer, they can tell you.

Reactions: RoverGGM
#5 ·
I was a finance and insurance manager for about 9 years too. I've had folks, more than once, come thank me for persuading them to buy it after a healthy claim was paid.

I think you mentioned a key item in the equation: "If you don't pay too much".

I routinely sold TOYOTA service contracts "over the counter" if the customer was willing to pay for an oil change and let my service department check the vehicle over, as long as it was still covered by some factory warranty. I usually marked them up $100 because to me it was just "found" sales to help my product penetration average and my compensation percentage.

I've even spiffed service writers for bringing customers in that they suggested it too.

#6 ·
as long as your OEM 3 year/24k mileage has not expired you can buy the extended warranty.

#13 ·
I bought an extended warranty from my dealer for what I thought was a good deal, but then I found out I overpaid by about $1,300. So I cancelled it and got a full refund. I'll be shopping around for a good deal on one when I get closer to the 36K mark.

#15 ·
Unfortunately, you can only buy an extended warranty from a dealer in your own state unless you are willing to travel to buy one. I talked to Jerry at one of the 2 dealers and he told me he cant do it anymore. too many dealers were complaining he was undercutting them too much.

I waited too long and the 2 midwest toyota dealers that sold them dirt cheap over the internet/phone have been denied by toyota from selling them over the internet to out of state buyers.

my dealer charged me about $750 for a 6yr/75k just this past march after a little arm twisting which was a few hundred more than what i could have gotten it from the midwest guys if i hadnt waited so long....

just to add to everyone's misery. here is what he was charging for extended warranties.

5 YEAR 80,000 MILES $474.00, 5 YEAR 100,000 MILES $629.00

5 YEAR 125,000 MILES $799.00

6 YEAR 75,000 MILES $509.00, 6 YEAR 100,000 MILES $749.00

6 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,019.00

7 YEARS 75,000 MILES $594.00, 7 YEAR 100,000 MILES $889.00

7 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,169.00

8 YEAR 75,000 MILES $709.00

8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $1,039.00

8 YEAR 125,000 MILES $1,424.00

#18 ·
Re: Extended Toyota Warranty = :) Shameless Plug, and now...No more thunk.

Just a slight update:
I emailed the Service Mgr at Stone's Toyota re: the Toyota Service Bulletin/ FJ "Thunking", he immediately ordered updated parts and scheduled the replacement.

So....I have new rotors, pads, fully serviced front and rear diffs, tranny, transfer case seal, flush/fluid replace, spark plugs, wiper blades and all the major service items done.........it ought to be good for another 2 years before I need to cough up any $ for service stuff.

My gratitude for having a dealer I can trust, who is very reasonably priced and only 1200 miles from my home ( I spend Summers in Idaho-Montana) is immense.

I can also say that the Toyota Extended Service Agreement was a wise investment. My selling dealer included it at dealer cost + 100.00, around 400. So it just saved me enough cash to get the Baja rack I have been thinking of.

:grin

#19 ·
I purchased the VSC at the time I bought the FJ. It is a "Certified Used" Toyota, which means it was under the original warranty at the time of purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.