Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of us are more interested in keeping our rigs looking nicer for longer than others, and thus, a bit more cautious than others when it comes to trail conditions.

However, even then, we occasionally (or maybe way too often for some of us) brush on past something and find ourselves on the other end of the trail with more trail-rash/pin-striping than we wanted (and for some of us, any at all is more than we wanted :lol: ).

I always try to keep the newbies in mind (as well as my pretty Sandi), but sometimes, it really can't be avoided if we're going to run the trail....and sometimes, the trail is much different than in years past.

Anyway...
I know some people would rather just do things like this on their own, and that's fine, but if you want to make a get-together out of it...

I think it would be cool to schedule a day to get together and work on the exteriors....like scratch removal, buffing, waxing and all that.

I have some products from 3M and someone else (I'll list exactly what I have in here tonight), and I know at least a couple of you have things too. It would be cool to see how the different products work next to each other on the same rig so we can compare (not necessarily to share the product to do someone's whole rig, but just a patch here or there to compare the different kinds so we know what we may want to get for our own).

It would also be nice to benefit from the experience of others if anyone has done a lot more of this kind of stuff....tips, tricks...in-person, etc.

We could meet at a car wash place so that we could all get nice and clean first....or maybe at an auto parts store so we can easily go in and buy a bottle of whatever it is that we find we like after seeing how it works from someone else's batch first.

What you guys think?
Sometime in May?

I will start a list in this OP to keep track of whatever place and/or date preferences I hear come up in the thread and we can go from there.

Interested
OCR14a
olygold
FJC Boulder
meencher
Madman#1
Offroad94
Tray
CruiserDogs
Jesster
pramjockey

Place and Date Preferences/Ideas
Need electricity for any buffer tools, etc
Need shade for applying the various products
OCR14a's place in Frederick

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
This sounds interesting. We'll need a cover like a portable awning. most of these products I'm thinking, you don't want to apply in direct sun.
I've got a orbital buffer, so we may need power too.
I need to get a base layer of wax on before the heat starts.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points.
I have a cheapo buffer that I got from wal-mart a couple years back, but have never used yet.

For powering these kinds of things, will the built-in inverter handle it?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Good points.
I have a cheapo buffer that I got from wal-mart a couple years back, but have never used yet.

I'm just a chemist, but I'm sure there is someone who knows.
The Orbital waxer is 1/2hp, says 3amp, 120v 50/60 Hz. We have a 400w Inverter at idle.
If this doesn't work we'll need a generator or access to an outlet.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Good points.

I wouldn't use that as a power point for a buffer. The draw is up and down and really asking a lot out of the FJ power unit. Check the amps used on your buffer

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just a chemist, but I'm sure there is someone who knows.
The Orbital waxer is 1/2hp, says 3amp, 120v 50/60 Hz. We have a 400w Inverter at idle.
If this doesn't work we'll need a generator or access to an outlet.
OK, cool.

I wouldn't use that as a power point for a buffer. The draw is up and down and really asking a lot out of the FJ power unit. Check the amps used on your buffer
Thanks. I will check the numbers on both ends, and if it lines up, I will use it, and if not, I won't. That is something I always do anyway, but since I'm in my office at work right now, and not at the vehicle and not with the buffer in front of me, I have no idea what the numbers are. Thanks for the heads-up....it's definitely important to make sure we're not gonna blow that thing out. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The inverter won't run a buffer, or even a small shop vac. It would be best if you had a generator.

I run a small mobile detail business, and the FJ is my primary transportation, so I've experimented alot with the inverter.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Also..there's a company named Poor Boys that makes detailing products that you can use in full sunlight.

I use them and they have been great for me.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great idea ocr14a, if I'm around and able to make it, I'm in :cheers:
Great! I added you to the list above as 'Interested'. :cheers:

The inverter won't run a buffer, or even a small shop vac. It would be best if you had a generator.

I run a small mobile detail business, and the FJ is my primary transportation, so I've experimented alot with the inverter.
OK, cool. Thanks, bud. That's good to know.
Hopefully we can just do it some place where we can plug in, cause I don't think I want to have to figure out who's generator to bring, and where it would be OK to run it (being loud and all), and I'm not sure if it would be good with those extra fumes/smoke/gunk flying around in the air while we're trying to pretty-up our rigs :lol:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also..there's a company named Poor Boys that makes detailing products that you can use in full sunlight.

I use them and they have been great for me.
Nice. Thanks...will check into them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am most definitely interested. I have plenty of pinstriping to work on. Also, I have been considering blacking out some of the silver as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I already offered to get together and do this with you a while back...so you can DEF count me in!! The stuff I used on mine seems to be holding up okay, and I can't complain for the price....but I'm always down for finding something stronger/bettter!! By the way, x2 on the not using the power converter. I tried to use a very small air compressor to blow up our rhib at the reservoir a few months ago, and it couldn't support the load. I think anything much bigger than the draw from a laptop, coffee machine, phone charger, or other SMALL device will trip it.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys,
I have a date and place idea.... Sunday, May 29th at my place in Frederick.

Besides me, so far, I have these on the 'interested' list...
olygold
FJC Boulder
meencher
Madman#1

So, can you make it to my place for this event on the 29th?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
My girls might have a swim meet that day. We're in the process of registering for it. A three dayer but we may only do two. If I'm free Sunday, I'm in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To far out right now to commit but will mark it on the calendar and if I can make it I will be there. Thanks for setting this up ocr14a :cheers:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
i have to look at the calender also but if Im free I'll be interested also. The other thing is I got a friend that wants to go on a trail run the 15 so I was thinking of trying to set one up, would anyone be interested?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
If my kids don't have anything crazy planned that weekend (my birthday weekend), I can make it the 29th.

I've got quite the assortment of products I can toss in for comparisons as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Ocr! We met earlier thus year in georgetown at the ice race. I have the sandstorm also. Id like to come by for spa day, I'm pretty sure I can make it. I still haven't Bern able to figure out the CB. Help with that would be great. See ya 29th! What time?! I'll bring food.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Couple weeks left till the Spa/Pampering Day.
Anyone else interested?

My girls might have a swim meet that day. We're in the process of registering for it. A three dayer but we may only do two. If I'm free Sunday, I'm in.
I think from a recent post elsewhere, it sounds like you're in for this, right?

To far out right now to commit but will mark it on the calendar and if I can make it I will be there. Thanks for setting this up ocr14a :cheers:
No more skiing (and no more money to buy more mods and spend all of your time installing them) ....so, how's it looking?

i have to look at the calender also but if Im free I'll be interested also.
Maybe it'll be just the right timing to work on some of the pinstriping you'll get this weekend? :lol:

If my kids don't have anything crazy planned that weekend (my birthday weekend), I can make it the 29th.

I've got quite the assortment of products I can toss in for comparisons as well.
What a sweet B-day gift for yourself....a bright, shinny new-again FJ Cruiser. :cheers: ....?

Hey Ocr! We met earlier thus year in georgetown at the ice race. I have the sandstorm also. Id like to come by for spa day, I'm pretty sure I can make it. I still haven't Bern able to figure out the CB. Help with that would be great. See ya 29th! What time?! I'll bring food.
Nice. That will be cool to see you again, bud. Come on over.
I will PM everyone with my address in case you don't have it yet.

As for time, I'm open to as early as anyone else would want to get going, or holding off till later.....whatever works.

I guess, unless I hear anything else, how about let's say meet up at my place (Frederick, CO) at around 10:00? If that's too early, or if you want to get started even earlier, just say something (one reason to go for earlier is just in case there's rain that day....it's quite common to have a few good hours earlier in the day and then get slammed with T-storms in the afternoon...even if only for a half hour down-pour....it would be nice to have some time before the afternoon storms hit if they do on that day).

What you guys think?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts