Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on building up an enclosed trailer and am running 110V AC power into it. My current plan was to have the trailer exclusively on external power, meaning I'm not messing around with an extra 12V system with an inverter/charger in the trailer since I don't want the added complexity nor the extra cost of buying RV grade stuff. I am putting an external weatherproof power inlet (Marinco 150BBI.RV) on the front of the V-nose of the trailer to support shore or generator power. Now here is where the FJ comes in...

I was doing some research and found the thread on the 4 pin to 7 pin trailer connector swap and it got me thinking how about running an AC lifeline from the FJ inverter to the trailer. Obviously the OEM 400W inverter won't do much, but it would power some of the internal fluorescent lighting in the trailer and maybe a cell phone charger or two. It would be more of a utility life line for short stops or stops where I don't have access to shore power and don't want to hook up the external generator. The external line would be a lot better IMHO than having to pop the rear door or rear window every time. Ideally it would be hidden under the bumper opposite the trailer harness.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, or seen anything like this done before. Or am I just completely talking crazy here? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
You are better off running a 12 volt battery for these functions . Power inverters are really inefficient.. Going through the 7 pin will not yield you enough amperage, to make it worth doing. 12 volt lighting systems are really easy to set up . You could have a few lights/ outlets set up for 12 to power little stuff and go through the 7 pin, but I wouldn't rely on an inverter from the fj
Or just run through a a/c line or generator. when you want to use it for more than just instant light

1 - 2 of 2 Posts