Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a gas can for off roading in the mountains ?
I am concerned regarding the increase and decrease in air pressure. Are there any that are equipped with a special valve ?

I won't be able to make the summit this year but I am 100% for next year & I'm trying to get everything ready & be prepared.

I appreciate any input from those that have transported extra fuel up & down thru the different elevations !
Thanks !! :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
You wont need one for the summit, there is a gas station in town.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
When I am unsure about gas consumption needs I take an EX-1 Geri can. You can drive over them (don't know why you would at least not on purpose). They are low-profile on the roof rack they hold 4 gallons. They are a little spendy. It's been a great can.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I am taking two gas cans and one water can...water is filled now....will fill gas cans in Ouray if needed.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I have one of the Geri cans from Expedition One as well, and it's been great. Never leaks.
We live in the Boulder, CO are, drove to Corpus Christi, TX and all over the Colorado mountains with it, and have never had a problem.
Definitaly worth the money.

Here's their web site...
Expedition One Off-Road Equipment

and here it is on Sandi...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have one of the Geri cans from Expedition One as well, and it's been great. Never leaks.
We live in the Boulder, CO are, drove to Corpus Christi, TX and all over the Colorado mountains with it, and have never had a problem.
Definitaly worth the money.

Here's their web site...
Expedition One Off-Road Equipment

and here it is on Sandi...
Do you have that sitting on the original cross members of the FJ rack?

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
yes (sorry so short for now)
No. that is fine. It is good to know that the crossbars can support that much weight. A number of members on the forum have commented in the past on how weak the crossbars are having even broken some of them. This gives me an idea of the capacity of these crossbars. Thank you.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You won't need them for the summit. They are good to show off if that is what you want. Last year, I had 2 5 gal strapped up to the roof rack and never unloaded them to use until I got home in California, really though, save the weight and money until you go on a real expedition somewhere. Just my 2 cents.:cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
You wont need one for the summit, there is a gas station in town.
You won't need them for the summit. They are good to show off if that is what you want. Last year, I had 2 5 gal strapped up to the roof rack and never unloaded them to use until I got home in California, really though, save the weight and money until you go on a real expedition somewhere. Just my 2 cents.:cheers:
Regardless of whether or not someone needs them for their own vehicle while in Ouray for the Summit, I would never tell someone to not do what they think they need to do for them self to 'be prepared' on a long road trip (and ya never know when you might be in the right place to help someone else along the way either).

My Geri has helped me many times.....not that I've ever needed it, but when we've been rolling down the highway for many hours and I totally forget about getting gas, and I've had it on there, it has really helped ease my nerves as we keep rolling at midnight to find the next nearest gas station.

Of course, if I'm smart enough and prepared mentally properly, I should never find my self in that situation anyway, but still....it never hurts to be prepared. It's only 4 gallons, and can make the differnce between looking like a prepared idiot at the side of the road if I ever do need to actually use it, or looking like an unprepared idiot when I need it but don't have it (I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons you can find to think I'm an idiot, but this won't be one of them).

just my $.02 :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
One thing to add. Be sure to top off your FJ with fuel each night. I followed one fellow a couple years ago that needed to add fuel from his gas can on the trail and held up the entire group for about 10 minutes. He was not very popular with the trail leader, who was trying to make up time after a long photo opportunity.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Expedition One can't sell their cans in the US anymore as not CARB compliant.

Expansion/contraction is handled in plastic cans if they are not more than about 4/5s full. I used a rack mounted boat tank for awhile but had trouble with leakage out the vent despite several configurations tried.

Ace

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have two 4 gal ROTOPAX on the roof, and IU will be bringinig them this year..... but you don't need them for the summit. there are two gas stations in town plus the trails are not that long, Alpine loop is the longest and that might use 1/3 to a 1/2 a tank

·
Registered
204 Posts
I will have gas and water on my roof. Both are RotopaX. It may not be needed, but the comfort of having extra gas for myself or someone else is worth the extra weight and the extra $$.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
"holy old thread batman!"
I have been very impressed with the my Scepter cans, both fuel and water.
The Scepter fuel cans are not sold to the public :flame: but I've bought 4 from a guy at the local AFB. They've handled altitude changes of +/- 10,000 feet without leaking.... the fuel cans do do bulge in the heat or high altitude but that's expected; never a leak when tightened properly. I do keep a strap wrench on hand for opening because the fuel cans tend to seize up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1373502774.443097.jpg
Agree!!!! Scepter cans rock!!!
I took these cans to 14,000 feet with no problems

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts