Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to look for a permanent air source for my truck. I thought about a co2 tank, but didn't want the hassle of refilling and finding a place to keep it.

Next up would be an air compressor
I have been running a Puma 12 volt that I keep inside over the rear fenderwell for some time. I was trying to find another place to mount it, but it isn't water proof .
The other option would be to install one under the hood. I wanted to save all the space I could, under the hood, in case I decide to run another battery.

Next thought would be to to mount a compressor exterior. Since there is ample real estate available under the back of the truck, this was a good option. So it would have to be waterproof.

That's where the ExtremeAire compressor comes in. These are really good compressors that have great stats, plus they are waterproof to so many meters, for so long. Perfect
They make a few different models, even 24 volt if needed. The standard compressor is 3.4 hp

Here are the details on this one

ExtremeAire 12 volt Compressor
$414.95

The ExtremeAire Severe Duty Compressor is setting standards for high output compressors. By utilizing a 3/4 horsepower fan cooled motor, overheating is a thing of the past. Designed to fill the largest 4WD tires or the highest-pressure RV tires, this unit can fill tires continuously with no fear of motor burnout. With a 150psi working pressure, you can fill air tanks and run impact wrenches to dismount and mount wheels easily. For clean air in the dirtiest environments, the ExtremeAire uses an oversize UNI-Filter that is crush proof, washable and reusable. All major motorcycle teams use UNI-Filters for Baja and motocross racing. In addition, the fan shaft has a sweeper filter to keep dirt and debris out of the motor and brushes, at the same time, allowing moisture and condensation to escape. The ExtremeAire is permanently lubed with sealed bearings so it can be mounted in any position making installation much easier. Every ExtremeAire utilizes stainless steel fasteners Loctited for a long and trouble free life in the highest vibration applications. Uses for the ExtremeAire include 4WD, RV, Agricultural, Construction, Motorsports, etc. No other 12-volt compressor has the speed, continuous duty cycle, output, pressure rating, and reliability that the ExtremeAire can deliver.

Tech Specs:

- Continuous duty cycle
- 3/4 horsepower motor
- 30-amp draw at 35psi
- 40-amp draw at 150psi
- 4 cfm free flow rate
- 150psi max working pressure
- Can be mounted upside down
- 14" long, 6" wide, 9", tall.

Next choice is the ExtremeAire Magnum
ExtremeAire Magnum
Imagine an ExtremeAire Compressor with TWICE the power and speed, all in a package only 2" longer than the original! Now you can have a continuous 12 volt compressor that will put out 6 CFM free flow and a whopping 2.6 CFM at 100 psi. Nothing in its size, class or price range even comes close! The ExtremeAire Magnum utilizes a 1.5 HP fan cooled motor and longer piston stroke to make the impossible possible. The Magnum has all the key features of the original ExtremeAire such as superior filtering, stainless steel hardware, heat dissipation cylinder coating and powder coated filter housing and fan shroud. Plus it can be mounted in any angle or position, even upside down! Sealed bearings mean no servicing or lubrication is necessary. Uses include filling tires, running air tools, air bags, lockers, train horns, etc. It is the perfect unit for jobsite chores or ranch duties. Since the unit is totally sealed from the elements, you can mount it under your truck on the frame rail so valuable storage space is preserved.

Specs:
-1.5 HP Motor
-95 amps @ 12.5 Volts DC
-Continuous Duty @ 150 psi
-6 CFM @ 0 psi
-2.6 CFM @ 100 psi
-Weight: 20 lbs.
-Dimensions: 16" long x 6" wide x 9.5" tall

My final decision was to go for the Magnum. I wanted to put the worst case scenario in as far as size goes, Since it was only 2" longer, it still will fit where I want to go.

Here's what brown brought me

Next post I will go through the mounting/install

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Along with these items pictures were 25Ft high pressure reinforced brake/air line. 25 ft black and red 4 awg 2 quick disconnects front and back . a bunch of quick snap air fittings. a head pressure bleed off switch, so the cylinder unloads for start up. air regulator solenoid. 80 waterproof circuit breaker , 100 waterproof relay and various terminals heat shrink.

I made a plan on where I wanted it, so I needed to build a crossmember to make it work
Here's what I came up with

It fits perfectly between the frame rails attaching to 3 threaded holes on the frame each side. It doesn't hang below, the rails at all. I will make a skid plate to protect it and put heat shields under the exhaust pipe. I intentionally mounted the heavier compressor on the passenger side, to not make the FJ lean any worse.
Its now painted and will be install tomorrow. I will take more pictures of the electrical, air routing when it's done .

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part 2 is complete. After test fitting the bracket some adjustments had to be made. I actually wheeled with the bracket in place yesterday. The adjustment I made was making sure there was a separation between the compressor frame and the body above it. I thought I allowed enough in the original fabrication, but after pulling the bracket, today I saw rub marks on the body above the frame so now it is spaced more.

The compressor and tank were mounted , pressure switch plumbed in, blow of valve attached and everything from the compressor to the tank is now complete.

The hard stuff is done.
Next phase is plumbing the air fittings and running all the electrical. I hope to have it running this week and do some testing.

The entire unit together weighs 47# . I'm not sure what a CO2 set up weighs full, but if someone could give me the weight, that will be a good comparison.

Here are some pics mounted

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Nice. I installed the Magnum with a similar tank, but both inside the rear cabin. Also used 4ga and 100amp relay, but a 100 amp breaker vice 80. Just FYI, I had no luck with the quick disconnects. (Edit) I thought you were using disconnects for the power cables, as I had, vice air hose disconnects. Good luck with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
13,246 Posts
Looks good!

Are you afraid the one end ofg the comp is to close to the exhaust?

·
Registered
217 Posts
All I have to say is "Dear Santa". :lol:

Do you plan to run air lines throughout the truck?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Nice! This seems to solve a lot of the compressor/CO2 debate. I like the idea of no refill issue and yet still running decent pressure. Where are you planning to put the the intake in the cabin, roof?

Can't wait to see the rest of the setup.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There seems to be something wrong with this thread I cannot quote anyone, but when I go to reply my original quote comes up. Can't figure out how to fix it.
Oh well
I am not concerned about heat because I am putting a heat shield and skid plate under the compressor. I wanted most of the weight to be on the drivers side, trying to balance stuff out.
The quick there will be 2 quick disconnects one on the front bumper and one on the rear . The air inlet is actually right on the compressor with a micro filter and drain .

The airline will be ran above the frame rails to the front bumper. the rear is about a 2 foot run. I may put the disconnect right on top of the corner of the bumper . Easy to get to and out of the muck when its muddy

·
Premium Member
13,246 Posts
There seems to be something wrong with this thread i cannot quote anyone, but when I go to reply my original quote comes up. Can't figure out how to fix it.
Oh well
I am not concerned about heat because I am putting a heat shield and skid plate under the compressor. I wanted most of the weight to be on the drivers side, trying to balance stuff out.
The quick there will be 2 quick disconnects one on the front bumper and one on the rear . The air inlet is actually right on the compressor with a micro filter and drain .

The airline will be ran above the frame rails to the front bumper. the rear is about a 2 foot run. I may put the disconnect right on top of the corner of the bumper . Easy to get to and out of the muck when its muddy
I can quote you.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
had you ever considered the belt driven version of the Extreme?
Yes I have.
I am still in the hunt for a Supercharger. That will change the belt configuration. I don't want to try and come up with a second solution for the first problem . I still may try to develop a kit for the 10-14 FJ first, but that will take a little fanagling . For now this is a sound and sturdy approach at having constant air, if needed . This will be as close to the output of a belt driven system as I can get, without all that engineering .
Great question
thanks

Very nice!
Thank you

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why not work with URD then. I'm sure they would love to open that market wide open. Rotrex is a great platform also/ Going that route myself in the spring/ summer. Or sooner if this deal I am working comes to light in a hurry. Will be basing mine off the Rotrex C38-91 Supercharger.

Have OBA currently also, but want to grab one of the Extreme belt driven and give here a test run. I can understand the hesitation to mess with the serpentine system. Mine developed a nasty squeek the other day. Hoping something is wonky in the alternator pully so I have an excuse to get my HO Alternator sooner rather than later..

·
Admin
7,926 Posts
Excellent work Don!!
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Looking at the specs, this compressor out performs the Viair 400c that, I have installed by a decent amount.

I like that's its waterproof and has a much higher CFM rate @ greater psi. I may have to look at this compressor if/when I need to replace mine.

Nice clean install and great choice of product!

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking at the specs, this compressor out performs the Viair 400c that, I have installed by a decent amount.

I like that's its waterproof and has a much higher CFM rate @ greater psi. I may have to look at this compressor if/when I need to replace mine.

Nice clean install and great choice of product!
Thanks. I agree that this compressors specs make this a great choice for a sound air system. I did a little research before all of this came about

Very nice install!
Thank you . I hope I have everything wired and plumbed up today. This Friday I may do a head to head , with another compressor at a local 4x4 club meeting

1 - 20 of 75 Posts