Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might not be pretty, but it's functional and serves it's purpose. I'm an apartment dweller, so fab'n stuff up is limited to hand tools, so this is an alternative.

I saw these steps that you use to work on big trucks and SUV's that fit over the tire, they claim to support 250 lb's. It's about 21" wide and 7" deep, folds up when not in use, I picked one up at a local parts store for $26, can be ordered online for about $20 plus shipping.

I found that I can fit 2 5 gal plastic cans, or 1 5 gal gas and 1 6 gal water on it side by side. I use 2 short ratchet straps to secure the whole thing and it's solid. I do recommend if you use plastic cans to put a old floor mat under the cans so it doesn't wear the bottom on the step treads.

Here's a few pic's:

Sorry I didn't take pic's with the straps in place.

Here's a link for the step: Truck SUV step
:cheers:
Dave

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think it's a great option for those who don't want anything permanent right now.

Good thinking! :cheers:

·
Registered
410 Posts
That would add 65 to 75 pounds to the spare tire mount on the door......a lot more when you come down off a ledge.....no thanks.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I like the idea. The closest fuel stop from home is just 1/4 mile and carrying the can (for the mower) in the FJ doesn't thrill me. I was thinking about getting one of those steps anyhow.. Ron

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Great use/idea of the tire step. Truly "Ghetto" mod!!!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to throw this out there for those who were looking at one of those jeep style ones that have the bracket over or under the spare lug nuts.

I like the idea. The closest fuel stop from home is just 1/4 mile and carrying the can (for the mower) in the FJ doesn't thrill me. I was thinking about getting one of those steps anyhow.. Ron
The step also works great for working under the hood, specially with my ARB bumper sticking out the front and also have used it to access the rear area of the roof rack, being about 5.5 ft every little bit helps. :cool:

Dave

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Very cleaver idea!!!:thinkerg: That's a cool temporary solution until you get a real gas tank holder. How well does it hold up on the trails???

·
Registered
141 Posts
looks like a good idea. quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very cleaver idea!!!:thinkerg: That's a cool temporary solution until you get a real gas tank holder. How well does it hold up on the trails???
Haven't had a chance to try on the trail yet, but I did fill up with about 4 gal of water in each can and strapped everything down, then drove around all the speed bumps in my complex at about 15 mph (we got the big steep kind) then drove off the curb a few times, it didn't budge. I also had a neighbor watching to see if the rear door flexed at all, he didn't see any. When I strap it down, one goes thru the handles facing the rear and down under the spare tire bracket, pulling down and back to the tire, the other strap just goes straight back around the tire just under where the step loop goes over the tire.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts