Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I would like to say only positive things, since it does look great. I'm a bit dissatisfied by the overall product. So far we have had to reset our bumper twice. When looking at the mount it looks to only be held on by two screws at most. She slips down all the time and after talking with other Fabfour bumper owners it seems they experience the same problem. They've even had to come up with a mod to keep it in place. What a drag. I noticed it after having to winch quite a bit out of steel bender when we busted our diff. It slipped a good inch away from where it's suppose to sit. Our dealer is setting her into place and drilling a few more holes to make it stationary. Hopefully this is the only thing we have to do.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wow! Hope the extra holes/bolts fix it.

On another note, I went to the Off-road Expo, and was able to get a hands-on look at the Fab Fours rear bumper. Disappointing to say the least. Especially for the amount of $ they want. I unlatched the swingout, and it must've dropped at least 3". The whole hinge side of the bumper was flexing, and couldn't hold the weight. I lifted up on it a few times and I literally could watch it flex. Then I almost couldn't close it, because it had dropped so far. Because of the weight of the tire/wheel and swingout itself, it was a PITA lifting it the 3+ inches to set it back up on the latch mount, which needed oil or something because the parts were rusty, and didn't move very good.

Just something to think about before you get the FF rear. Hopefully you can meet up with someone that has one, and check it out first, before you spend the cash. I'd like to know if theirs is like that too.

K

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I don't think we'll ever get a rear bumper now that we are naked back there. I'll have to change my signiture..hehe... I heard the fabfour rear swing out was horrible too. Just not that thought out..ya know?

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Because of the weight of the tire/wheel and swingout itself, it was a PITA lifting it the 3+ inches to set it back up on the latch mount, which needed oil or something because the parts were rusty, and didn't move very good.
I bought the Fab Fours rear bumper sight-unseen, trusting in a good fabricating reputation. I was/have been very disappointed. Same sort of sag issues you noticed.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I bought the Fab Fours rear bumper sight-unseen, trusting in a good fabricating reputation. I was/have been very disappointed. Same sort of sag issues you noticed.
I was wondering if Larry would chime in on the rear bumper. He is the only person i have seen with it.
This is the first time i have heard bad news about their bumpers.

·
Registered
750 Posts
yeah I don't think we'll ever get a rear bumper now that we are naked back there. I'll have to change my signiture..hehe... I heard the fabfour rear swing out was horrible too. Just not that thought out..ya know?
Everyone at spring fling saw your naked rear :rofl::rofl::rofl: You weren't shy about it at all.

The fj looks pretty tough that way. And you have tons of clearance.

I think for the price, that's horrible, and they should do something about it. Wither lower the $, or make it worth it.

K

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
I was wondering if Larry would chime in on the rear bumper. He is the only person i have seen with it.
This is the first time i have heard bad news about their bumpers.

I'm planning to discount it on the order of 50% of purchase price and sell it on the Forum. Actually, it's not a bad deal at that price. If you're not going to put a HEAVY spare on it the way I have and wheel a lot, it's a good way to go at the discounted price. The bumper looks great. But for what I paid for it, it was disappointing.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I too have the same problem as Athena with FabFours front bumper. The bracket the mounts it to the frame is not strong enough. I will be adding a mod to mine also so it doesn't move anymore. It would have also been nice for them to put in their directions to seal the fog lights. Mine got water in them after the first car wash(not driving through water). Other than that I still like the design.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
As much as I would like to say only positive things, since it does look great. I'm a bit dissatisfied by the overall product. So far we have had to reset our bumper twice. When looking at the mount it looks to only be held on by two screws at most. She slips down all the time and after talking with other Fabfour bumper owners it seems they experience the same problem. They've even had to come up with a mod to keep it in place. What a drag. I noticed it after having to winch quite a bit out of steel bender when we busted our diff. It slipped a good inch away from where it's suppose to sit. Our dealer is setting her into place and drilling a few more holes to make it stationary. Hopefully this is the only thing we have to do.
Thank You for your honest input! I have been saving up quite awhile to purchase that Fab Four bumper! You mention the bumper slips down? What does that mean? If I purchase one will they have this problem solved? This news really sucks and is very dissapointing!!! Sorry for your dissapointment too. I Hope anyone who purchased this bumper and is having problems posts up and also post what the manufacturer is doing as far as customer service and satisfaction to resolve this issue! Can't imagine a bumper slipping and maybe falling off.:flame:

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Thank You for your honest input! I have been saving up quite awhile to purchase that Fab Four bumper! You mention the bumper slips down? What does that mean? If I purchase one will they have this problem solved? This news really sucks and is very dissapointing!!! Sorry for your dissapointment too. I Hope anyone who purchased this bumper and is having problems posts up and also post what the manufacturer is doing as far as customer service and satisfaction to resolve this issue! Can't imagine a bumper slipping and maybe falling off.:flame:
I can only share my experience. Fab Fours, the manufacturer is not doing anything to make things right.

Let the buyer beware.

I was stupid. I relied on their SEMA truck design (different than the one they sell now) and upon their past glory. I paid the price for being stupid and bought a bumper that was in NO WAY worth what I paid for it. Rather than complain directly, Jason DeMello (Demello Offroad) carried my cause to them and in effect, they told him to pound sand. Jason offered a Forum Group-Buy on the bumper and that's how I bought it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues but thanks for letting us know. That's what forums like this are all about...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the front bumper. I installed mine myself in 06, and have used the hell out if it. While doing so, I Tacked all of my adjusting points with my Mig. I had a feeling that all that adjustabillity their design could end up in mis alignment after hard line pulls or jacking. Small tacks are strong and easily cut with a die gringer and disk. My bumper has not moved 1 mm.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I can only share my experience. Fab Fours, the manufacturer is not doing anything to make things right.

Let the buyer beware.

I was stupid. I relied on their SEMA truck design (different than the one they sell now) and upon their past glory. I paid the price for being stupid and bought a bumper that was in NO WAY worth what I paid for it. Rather than complain directly, Jason DeMello (Demello Offroad) carried my cause to them and in effect, they told him to pound sand. Jason offered a Forum Group-Buy on the bumper and that's how I bought it.
Thanks for your Input, I might just call them acting as If I have not heard of this problem. I like to see how anxious they are to make a sale and how they stand behind there product before I drop the bomb on them! If they have made the improvements fine, I might buy there product. It depends on what they say as to what they did for you who have purchased and have a problem. If they said they resolved there customer complaints I will steer them to this forum and thread and see what they say then!!! I'm sure many people will see this thread including the manufacturer!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Yikes, not good to hear. This was my favorite bumper based on design.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I like the front bumper. I installed mine myself in 06, and have used the hell out if it. While doing so, I Tacked all of my adjusting points with my Mig. I had a feeling that all that adjustabillity their design could end up in mis alignment after hard line pulls or jacking. Small tacks are strong and easily cut with a die gringer and disk. My bumper has not moved 1 mm.
This seems like a good solution Pilotpit.
However, a solution that i would think not be needed on an expensive bumper. If it was about 500, would slip and a tack weld would be the best solution, i would find that more reasonable buy.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I bought my front bumper from them about a year ago, the mounting plate on the passenger side actually bent over 1/2" due to too few attachment bolts. I called them and they very promptly sent a free replacement. I added a few additional bolts to make sure it didn't happen again. Nothing has moved since. I like the idea of tack welding everything in place though.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't get me wrong I love this bumper. It looks great..but as Tisilverfj had mention I too got water in my light socket after the first carwash. I've been driving around a fish bowl for a little over a year now.
We will probably keep the bumper..it is my favorite design also. But I would never get the rear bumper based on two points..the swing out being bad...and they don't make the bumper without the swing out..

Voodoo Girl she was showing off some let..LOL with her skirt up so high (no bumper) but we're going to keep her that way and fab up roll bars to go over the corner panels. She'll look sweet!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It sounds you guys found the right thing to do to keep from slipping...but in all honesty.. should you have had to do this?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh also as manufacturers being aware of their product's flaws I haven't mentioned anything... we're just "dealing" with it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts