Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have read the thread on the forum but they always go off on another tangent, talking about some other topic. So far I have seen many many Rc lifts but not too many Fabtech lifts. Which one should I go with? I plan on doing half offroading and half street driving. Give me some more pros and cons besides price. So far the Fatech lift is 4600 installed wheels tires and alignment. Not too many shops in so cal have the RC lift but they do have the Fabtech. If I went with the RC I would do the install myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Help! I have read the thread on the forum but they always go off on another tangent, talking about some other topic. So far I have seen many many Rc lifts but not too many Fabtech lifts. Which one should I go with? I plan on doing half offroading and half street driving. Give me some more pros and cons besides price. So far the Fatech lift is 4600 installed wheels tires and alignment. Not too many shops in so cal have the RC lift but they do have the Fabtech. If I went with the RC I would do the install myself.
I went through the same debate, and went with the Fabtech. The clear advantage of the RC is that its 100% bolt on - no cutting and welding. I knew more people with experience with Fabtech than RC (I know this isnt really helpful), and that ultimately played part in my decision. I had the same experience with lack of availability of RC in AZ, another decision factor for me. I will say that I've been pretty happy with the Fabtech so far. The only thing I'd warn is that you find out the spec from Fabtech on the front coilovers and make sure yours are setup to spec. I had an issue with that on mine, which has since been corrected and it runs great.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Out of the two of them I'd say the Fabtech is better.:simmadown:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
boy this thread is a flame session waiting to happen....

I went with the RC... 100% bolt on, I did it and saved a lot by doing it myself. I love it... Gets a lot of attention and I am an attention whore... ask anyone.. :rofl:

btw, if your looking for which is "better" your not going to find it.. A lot will say this or that but all have their good points and their bad. PERIOD

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I went through the same debate, and went with the Fabtech. The clear advantage of the RC is that its 100% bolt on - no cutting and welding. I knew more people with experience with Fabtech than RC (I know this isnt really helpful), and that ultimately played part in my decision. I had the same experience with lack of availability of RC in AZ, another decision factor for me. I will say that I've been pretty happy with the Fabtech so far. The only thing I'd warn is that you find out the spec from Fabtech on the front coilovers and make sure yours are setup to spec. I had an issue with that on mine, which has since been corrected and it runs great.

U gotta remember also that once u cut there is no going back.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Both are good kits.

I think that I have had a 6" lift the longest on the board (not counting mfgr's FJ's), it's going on 16 months. I've only had one problem, a passenger side CV, that was a result of to much travel and was fixed by Rough Country. It's a quality lift kit and is backed by a outstanding sales & support staff. It has handled every trail that I've wanted to go on from Moab to Ouray to the hills & mud of TN & KY. For more on the build or trail photos, just click on the links below.

I've been on a trail with fj6high, he has the Fabtech 6" lift. It performed well also and looked good to.

Here are a couple of pics at about the same point on a trail.

Rough Country 6" on 305/65 17's

Fabtech 6" on 35's

The big factor that you need to consider is, cut or no cut.

This is my personal opinion and not that of the forum

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You have to cut the cross member on the Fabtech, If you need I can post the install instructions for the RC. As Tenn. said cut or no cut is the question.. I wanted to install my own, so I went with RC. I did a lot of research before buying and you can find arguments for and against all the 6" lifts but REALLY it's what YOU feel comfortable with.

I've seen AJ's, you don't want to follow him....

:rofl: Just kinding, his looks great too!

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
You have to cut the cross member on the Fabtech, If you need I can post the install instructions for the RC. As Tenn. said cut or no cut is the question.. I wanted to install my own, so I went with RC. I did a lot of research before buying and you can find arguments for and against all the 6" lifts but REALLY it's what YOU feel comfortable with.

I've seen AJ's, you don't want to follow him....

:rofl: Just kinding, his looks great too!
"wouldnt want to follow him"? im not sure as to why that is being said, but the lift is as good as they come! have no problems, rides great, looks better, and love it...i did look at the rc lift, but just wasnt sold on it..maybe im a firm believer in getting what you pay for..in life, good things are not cheap, and cheap things are not good....yes, there is cutting involved, and yes it may not be the most simplistic concept to grasp, but as far as lifts are concerned, that is the route i took, and the route i would take again..no questions asked...

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
all is good...USMC is 100% correct in the fact that either way is going to accomplish what you are after..he is also correct in that the rc can be done yourself, and is bolt on...ive seen his rig, and it is deff on to look at for a prime example of the end result for rough country..that is a great example of their product

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for your help. I have made up my mind and I am going with the RC lift! I really don't want to have to cut. Plus I have had Fabtech on other trucks with terrible results. (Broken ball joints while street driving, coils not sitting right, alignment problems and leaf spring brackets breaking in half). And I even had the suspension installed at the Fabtech factory by their techs and I was still having problems. So I think I'm going to try RC, everyone seems to love the suspension and support that they offer.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts